Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch it again. He's talking from a player's perspective.

He starts it introducing that the opportuity for players isn't even due to the colloseum events that the Melbourne team players experience. He ends it saying that he thinks the opportunity for clubs is even due to the equalisation measures, but that it isn't even for the players.

Joel Selwood talked about it earlier in the year. Despite the Cats always arguing for home finals rather than MCG finals - he was glad the Cats didn't win the argument, because he wanted to play at the MCG - the romantic nostalgic colloseum - in front of 90,000 lunatics.

That’s cool, they get it in finals so simply just make finals.

Start by breaking down the stranglehold the MCC has ovet the AFL. Break the stupid contract locking the GF into the MCG and instead make it available to other cities.
Not a stupid contract as far as HQ is concerned, they got the most money out of it for future upgrades to its flagship stadium.

This has been explained many many times
If there must be a minimum stadium size then make that available and give the other states the oppurtunity to invest in their infrastructure to get it.
Seems to me the minimum size is as big as you can get as far as HQ is concerned.

I hate the fact that the elites at the MCC have so much influence over our game, it shouldn't be the case.
No it shouldn't but it is and will continue to be.
For as long as the whole 'MCG is the home of football' and 'you entered our competition so suck it up' narrative exists we will not have a truly national competition, and by extension there will be a VIC bias.
You can't have a truly national competition regardless.

The pretense that the VFL was some kind of vibrant, financial, happy league that these interstate clubs came into is simply dogma.
No such pretense exists, only a moron would believe this.

How can you be a fan or not a fan? He's played 6 games.

Come back to me in 3 years.
He's 18. too powerful to tackle already, skillful and is going to take speckies. If this kid has a work ethic and doesn't go off the rails...

Put aside the local rivalry and just enjoy watching him. Wow.

After Tassie bring in an NT team and play everyone once. No double ups. That's as fair as it can be.

Right now playing WCE North or Hawthorn twice is the biggest rort in the fixture.

Alright. In that case there should be no problem with permanently moving the GF to Optus Stadium.

Yep that's fine. The same goes the other way too - leave the Grand Final at the MCG.

The issue is they don't get it in home finals. They've got to make the Granny. .... At the MCG.

Ok so being pedantic you don’t get to experience Anzac Day on Anzac Day at the MCG. Considering the AFL have chosen this for only 2 clubs in an 18 club comp the chances of you being drafted to one of those two clubs is low.
Playing a Western derby or a showdown or a Sydney derby at the SCG offers a very similar experience.
Full house in good size stadiums.
If Leigh Mathews is saying only players who play for the bombers or the pies can experience a blockbuster then he is a *.

Last edited:
Ok so being pedantic you don’t get to experience Anzac Day on Anzac Day at the MCG. Considering the AFL have chosen this for only 2clubs in an 18 club comp the chances of you feint drafted to one of those two clubs is low.
Playing a Western derby or a showdown or a Sydney derby at the SCG offers a very similar experience.
Full house in good size stadiums.
If Leigh Mathews is saying only players who play for the bombers or the lies can experience a blockbuster then he is a *.
Leigh would be thinking it again this Friday night when Collingwood play Carlton - or Sunday afternoon if that's when they were scheduled. It's about the big crowd and the rivalry - not the timeslot. I live in Adelaide and love the Derbys because those clubs just hate each other so much. Collingwood games and Derbys are the only ones I'll go to at Adelaide Oval as the one sided crowds where moronic comments are appaluded without any pushback just s**t me to tears. But the Adelaide Derby isn't Collingwood versus a big Melbourne club at the MCG. It just doesn't hit the same pitch of mentalness.

And are you telling me a final at any venue other than the G is not really a blockbuster ?
He's talking about the Colloseum experience. Not the significance of the game. Collingwood Essendon on Anzac day isn't worth any points than any other game we play - it's no more significant in those terms. But it's a different grander experience. Fly over one year. It's pretty awesome.

Leigh would be thinking it again this Friday night when Collingwood play Carlton - or Sunday afternoon if that's when they were scheduled. It's about the big crowd and the rivalry - not the timeslot. I live in Adelaide and love the Derbys because those clubs just hate each other so much. Collingwood games and Derbys are the only ones I'll go to at Adelaide Oval as the one sided crowds where moronic comments are appaluded without any pushback just s**t me to tears. But the Adelaide Derby isn't Collingwood versus a big Melbourne club at the MCG. It just doesn't hit the same pitch of mentalness.

Each to their own, I have been to many blockbusters at the G and a few showdowns and many many western Derby’s.
The only standout moment I have ever had at the G is the minutes silence on Anzac day where I walked away and said you don’t experience that anywhere else.
Other than that a full house at Optus, Adelaide oval, SCG or MCG is Avery similar experience . Others may disagree but it’s just my view.
Mate I love the G and have and still do think it’s a great experience but a big crowd is a big crowd and I am not these days thinking it’s as special as the media make it out to ge to justify decisions they have made.
Now there is a big difference between the big grounds and the little grounds though.

He's talking about the Colloseum experience. Not the significance of the game. Collingwood Essendon on Anzac day isn't worth any points than any other game we play - it's no more significant in those terms. But it's a different grander experience. Fly over one year. It's pretty awesome.

Been there many times for Anzac Day, been to 9 Grand finals and many finals. Maybe it’s worn off on me. The players I am sure love it but I don’t think that colloseum experience is just there. Other grounds have it also.

Each to their own, I have been to many blockbusters at the G and a few showdowns and many many western Derby’s.
The only standout moment I have ever had at the G is the minutes silence on Anzac day where I walked away and said you don’t experience that anywhere else.
Other than that a full house at Optus, Adelaide oval, SCG or MCG is Avery similar experience . Others may disagree but it’s just my view.
Mate I love the G and have and still do think it’s a great experience but a big crowd is a big crowd and I am not these days thinking it’s as special as the media make it out to ge to justify decisions they have made.
Now there is a big difference between the big grounds and the little grounds though.
It's probably just nostalgia and romance on the behalf of us Vics, but a Docklands sellout - which is as big a crowd as any ground other than yours - doesn't do it like a big game at the MCG.

It's probably just nostalgia and romance on the behalf of us Vics, but a Docklands sellout - which is as big a crowd as any ground other than yours - doesn't do it like a big game at the MCG.

I think it’s a Vic thing. I grew up and we had all heard if the G but the home if footy was Subiaco in WA. All I wanted to do was play league footy for a WAFL club in the big dance at Subiaco.
That narrative has now changed but it’s very accurate for people my age or older. Mid 50’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like you think this is meaningful. Having a bunch of biased, Victorian sycophants explain their rationale for supporting an anti national competiton conspiracy doesn't make it any more meaningful. If anything, it reduces credibility.

I think it’s a Vic thing. I grew up and we had all heard if the G but the home if footy was Subiaco in WA. All I wanted to do was play league footy for a WAFL club in the big dance at Subiaco.
That narrative has now changed but it’s very accurate for people my age or older. Mid 50’s

Probably right. Listen to the cricketers crap on about Lords - silly little ground with a stupid sloping pitch.

I feel like you think this is meaningful. Having a bunch of biased, Victorian sycophants explain their rationale for supporting an anti national competiton conspiracy doesn't make it any more meaningful. If anything, it reduces credibility.
'Meaningful'?

I'm just observing what this competition is, what it is NOT is a national competition, and can never possibly be with 10 clubs in one state.

It's an expanded vfl that has lost two original clubs, South and Fitzroy.

Next you'll say, 'well just get rid of 4-5 vic clubs', yeah sure, but as has been explained eleventy gazillion times

• you lose at a very conservative guess, half a million fans and members. HQ aren't gonna do that.
  • Even if they wanted to, there's a legal can of worms to make that happen. So it ain't.

Personally I'd like to see state conferences and then if we must have a national 'element', it's a playoff of the state conference champions.

But yeah HQ aren't gonna go there, even if they wanted to.

So let's stop with the conspiracy bullsh*t, it is what it is because of mainly market forces, not a designed hatred by victorians.

But nah you won't, you'll continue with 'vics hate everyone so it's all by design and conspired' - if you do believe this conspiracy theory then you can vote with your feet and your remote.

We won't miss you.

Just try and make sure that every non Vic side plays min 3 H&A games at the MCG each year.

*not sure if possible but would be nice

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Could easily have that. Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood, Hawthorn and then the others who have a deal with Marvel and Etihad could make it easy. Issue is that the AFL wants to have the stadium around 50% or more full and that is not always a possibility with the MCG.

'Meaningful'?

I'm just observing what this competition is, what it is NOT is a national competition, and can never possibly be with 10 clubs in one state.

It's an expanded vfl that has lost two original clubs, South and Fitzroy.

Next you'll say, 'well just get rid of 4-5 vic clubs', yeah sure, but as has been explained eleventy gazillion times

• you lose at a very conservative guess, half a million fans and members. HQ aren't gonna do that.
  • Even if they wanted to, there's a legal can of worms to make that happen. So it ain't.

Personally I'd like to see state conferences and then if we must have a national 'element', it's a playoff of the state conference champions.

But yeah HQ aren't gonna go there, even if they wanted to.

So let's stop with the conspiracy bullsh*t, it is what it is because of mainly market forces, not a designed hatred by victorians.

But nah you won't, you'll continue with 'vics hate everyone so it's all by design and conspired' - if you do believe this conspiracy theory then you can vote with your feet and your remote.

We won't miss you.
See this is where you're wrong, it can be a national competition even with 10 teams in Victoria, it just needs a genuine desire by the people who run it to find avenues to create as fair a situation as possible for that to happen.
Its not that we think you hate us, is that we believe you dont want us to be succesful and leave imbalances in place that sees to it.
Throw in instances like 'Operation Heartland', where theres concern that we're too powerful and you're not competetive that, wether by design or coincidence, sees an undeniable momentum shift, our belief is justified.

Theres no doubt that the period 01-03 would have annoyed Vic fans and would have compounded from 04-06 with no dog in the fight, so something had to happen, but its swung far too far the other way now and needs to be accepted and acted on to prove us wrong on that note if nothing else.

And you would miss us, if fans turn away the money stops flowing at the gate and from tv deals and the players suffer.
Ask them if they're prepared to go on the tools and back to being semi professional just to keep the balance of power in one place.

Last edited:
See this is where you're wrong, it can be a national competition even with 10 teams in Victoria, it just needs a genuine desire by the people who run it to find avenues to create as fair a situation as possible for that to happen.
Not a truly equitable one it can't, again to have one that is truly equitable then we'd have more clubs from non vic and less clubs in vic.

To do that you'd have to sacrifice supporter bases from vic and hope and pray the numbers would be made up with new clubs or established clubs from other competitions (established clubs would certainly garner public support).

Not two in traditional footy states like SA and WA.

And then there's the geography / travel problem, the only way to mitigate that is too have the comp centred in the middle of the continent. That would likely mean many fans in footy states don't get to see their club play, more loss of members and fans.

This has been explained many times.
Theres no doubt that the period 01-03 would have annoyed Vic fans
That was the vic media and HQ, not reflective of the fans.

This is a club competition, not state of origin. Most of the vic fans were happy to see the Dons and Pies lose those GF's
And you would miss us, if fans turn away the money stops flowing at the gate and from tv deals and the players suffer.
No, HQ would, I and other vic fans aren't representatives of HQ.

So when are non vic fans actually gonna vote with their feet and remotes and return their state leagues and clubs to the glory days?

And yet in 2020 two Victorian teams made the Grand Final after being on the road for 100+ consecutive days. Well done Richmond and Geelong.

If you're good enough, you'll win anywhere.
Yep, so it happened once, and that proves your point.

Well, have I got some investment opportunities for you!

Yep, so it happened once, and that proves your point.

Well, have I got some investment opportunities for you!
Who played the Grand Final in WA? West Coast and Freo? No wait wasn't them, but Port played home finals so they surely made it.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back