Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes there’s a tendency to point towards that Villa match as the decisive one. Unfortunately it was wedged between the crucial Bayern tie. It’s all it’s and buts now, if we had exited Europe by that time I have no doubt we do Villa that weekend at home, especially on the balance of the performance (we should’ve got a point away as well earlier in the season).

These are the levels required that Arteta is building towards. To challenge on both fronts. With absolute credit to the team, we went toe to toe with Bayern for probably 3 out of the 4 halves across that tie. The margins are so fine. We didn’t capitulate and showed we belonged at that stage, keeping in mind for majority of the squad this was their first CL quarter final tie.

Across the season, the only league match where I thought the performance was sub standard was Fulham away. Didn’t deserve anything that match. Only 1 point against them and 0 from Villa was decisive. And as difficult as it is to move on from “what if” scenarios against Villa, also have to remember when those what if moments fell in favour to Arsenal. Last second winner from Rice against Luton etc etc.

As downbeat as I was post match, I listened to this again this morning and feel very encouraged by it. Wasn’t quite in the right headspace for the words to land when listening on my iPad in bed at 3.30am haha. So it deserved a second look:

If you’re in any doubt as to the appetite of the club and Arteta, I highly recommend watching that. Next season cannot come soon enough.

I don't know how anybody couldn't be proud of this team. Fantastic effort to go toe to toe this long with City. The Christmas period really hurt us, and ultimately, the draw to Villa.

But we have come SO far. We just need to keep improving and build on it.

The only word to sum up the season is proud.

We are still incredibly young, and it was our first time going deep in CL and it took until the final half for city to really kill us off. Bit more squad depth to not run players into the ground, a bit more quality added to the team if possible and we get up and go again. From where we were 3-4 years ago it’s incredible how we’ve turned it around going up against a juggernaut. Incredibly proud of this team and already can’t wait for August to roll around.

How can we not all be proud of the team? 89 points.

80-****ing-9 points.

So much team development, so many highlights, so much hope for the future. No real fan can come away from this year disappointed.

Their charges cause them to get relegated, or Pep leaves.
Have you watched any of Pep's media recently? Something ain't right there. Either he knows something about those charges, or he's already decided on his future and he just hasn't told anyone yet.

Took it to the last minute of the season. Couldn't be prouder as a Gooner.

Went to sleep after the Hawks game (lol), woke at 1:02, checked the score and City had already opened. Oh well.

Props to Seamus Coleman for consoling Odegaard at the end there. He's all class.

115, too good, when you have a team that could comfortably field a second 11 that at worst could finish third/fourth hats off to Arsenal who pushed them every step of the way. I loved the gap we put on s*urs, that’s embarrassing, love it.
For Forest and Everton to be stripped of points, 115 seem to have gotten away with it. Interesting (to say the least) to see what happens to 115 when they are finally brought to task. Beaten with a feather is my guess. Pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what the plans for the off-season are. We need to shed some players and sign one or two first team options.

IMO we were fairly lucky with our injury record this season given Ødegaard, Rice, Saliba, Gabriel and Saka played almost every game. They are essentially five of our best six players. White and Havertz played the season out too.

Based on last season's team only Jesus and Partey were key players that missed significant time. And, IMO, in a way the Jesus injury worked in our favour as it forced Arteta to move Havertz out of our midfield, which he unbalanced, and up to CF, where he absolutely flourished.

No denying that the injuries to Partey, Martinelli, Timber and Tomiyasu hurt our overall depth.

On a side note, to borrow a saying from the best Arsene Wenger; Timber will be like a new signing.

Talking to some mates, all agree we need an 8, 9 and a RW.

I would love Olise - Eze too in fact - but I doubt we pay the sum, and I am not sure how much he would enjoy not being first choice.

There will no doubt be talent in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany, Holland etc - but we need to find, and beat other clubs to the punch.

I do wonder what we will do with Vieira. Hasn't really kicked on.

I wonder if Rice’s late season form as the 8, when Havertz shifted to the 9, has perhaps changed his thinking. The more I see Rice as an all action box to box, adding goals and assists to his name, the more I think we go large on a new 6 this season. A younger version of Partey/Jorginho.

Definitely need that additional forward. The club has been trying for a few windows now, dating back to the big money move for Raphinha. Someone who can step in on both flanks would be brilliant. 2-3 signings this summer would be ideal. Trossard style signings, it’s almost a discredit to him to refer to him as a back up.

Genuine plug and play style options who can step in and out and the level doesn’t drop. I have faith in the recruitment choices, their track record in recent years speaks for itself.

Definitely sell / move on:
  • El Neny
  • Soares
  • Eddie
  • Lokonga
  • Tavares
  • Nelson
  • Ramsdale (likely moving on for opportunities)

Maybe sell:
  • Partey
  • Zinchenko
  • Vieira
  • ESR
  • Jesus

Havertz has shown he is a quality CF that fits into our system really well.

Rice has shown he is a quality LCM (8) in our system too. He's an awesome box-to-box and all-action midfielder. Though obviously he's a quality DM (6) too.

Of that potential list above I think Ramsdale, Zinchenko and Vieira should be moved on. Maybe Partey too.

With that in mind I think our depth going into next season, before signings, will be:

CF - Havertz, Jesus, Trossard
LW - Martinelli, Trossard, ESR
RW - Saka, Jesus

LCM - Rice, ESR + Trossard
RCM - Ødegaard, ESR
DM - TBA, Jorginho + Rice

LB - Timber, Kiwior + Tomiyasu
RB - White, Tomiyasu + Timber
LCB - Gabriel, Kiwior + Tomiyasu
RCB - Saliba, Tomiyasu + White, Timber

GK - Raya, TBA

We absolutely need another midfielder, maybe two, especially if Partey is sold. Personally I'd be happy to keep him as he would be a valuable squad option. Though I'm expecting him to leave.

We could use another versatile wide forward too. If Jesus is sold then it's an absolute must.

I rate ESR so I'm biases towards keeping him and using his as an option to cover an advanced midfield spot and on the LW. He scored double digit goals as a 20 year old, so he has the talent.

I think Tomiyasu can deputise in any position along the back four, and Timber probably could too. But that list shows we probably need to sign another CB, one that could sit behind Saliba on the depth chart.

Will we see Nwaneri get some gametime next season too?

Last edited:
Yep, El-Neny and Cedric are already confirmed leaving. So that's some wages off the books there - maybe circa 100k?

Zinny is an interesting one, right offer I would take. He is clearly not a LB, I think he should be tried in midfield but that would have happened by now if it was going to. ESR isn't favoured for whatever reason, but he is home grown so to lose him, Nelson and Eddie in one window is not good at all for the HG quota.

I am sure Edu has plans, hopefully it all works out.

Yep, El-Neny and Cedric are already confirmed leaving. So that's some wages off the books there - maybe circa 100k?

Zinny is an interesting one, right offer I would take. He is clearly not a LB, I think he should be tried in midfield but that would have happened by now if it was going to. ESR isn't favoured for whatever reason, but he is home grown so to lose him, Nelson and Eddie in one window is not good at all for the HG quota.

I am sure Edu has plans, hopefully it all works out.

I believe Cedric alone was in the vicinity of £100k per week. Handy deal he signed 4 years ago!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back