Unrestricted Free Agent Tyson Stengle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Do UFA’s receive the same compensation as RFA’s in the AFL’s secret sauce recipie?

I was under the impression a UFA attracted a much lower compensation pick, but perhaps the only difference is the inability for the club to match bids.

They are the same in compo bands. Its all on the contract $.

Stengle and Cats 1st for Bailey Smith, get it done.

Unlikely band 1 at max $800k.

That ship sailed last year.

End of 1st is fair considering he cost the Cats nothing in draft picks, cheap wage and he helped will a flag. I know that isnt a factor on how the secret herbs and spices are calculated but it would be fair when you take in the entire history and situation.

Compensation usually goes on ladder position, if Cats finish 7th they are getting a pick around where their own pick lands.
Eg. 12th as own pick and 13th pick as compo.

You don’t get to pick and choose when compo applies, just because you don’t like how a situation turned out.
If someone like Saints and Dons are offering him 900k-1M range, that’s Band 1 compo, even with the changes.

Compensation usually goes on ladder position, if Cats finish 7th they are getting a pick around where their own pick lands.
Eg. 12th as own pick and 13th pick as compo.

You don’t get to pick and choose when compo applies, just because you don’t like how a situation turned out.
Spot on.

As iffy as the McKay & Frawley compensation picks look in comparison to someone like Buddy, it is still following the AFL's algorithm.

You can call it a bulls**t algorithm if you want, and I'd agree with you...but it's consistent if you know that it's dependent on ladder position + salary.

Unfortunately, it's not just the outright quality of the player, which everyone seems to forget sometimes.

They are the same in compo bands. Its all on the contract $.
Doesn’t it also depend on how well remunerated a
Player was at previous club prior to moving? Ie if a player is in bottom 50% paid at prior club it affects compo? Or purely based on contract given by new club?

Tyson is a dickhead if he leaves the Cats.
He wouldn't even have a career if that club didn't give him a lifeline, and then turned him around to be what he is today.
He owes everything to that footy club, and if he leaves well he truly is a flog.

Strange post. Tyson owes the Cats nothing.

They did help him get his career back on track, and in return he helped them win a premiership. I am sure both parties are very grateful for the result.

He is perfectly entitled to cash in on his next contract, particularly if the Cats are offering significantly less than what is on offer elsewhere.

Player was at previous club prior to moving? Ie if a player is in bottom 50% paid at prior club it affects compo? Or purely based on contract given by new club?

No, current contract has nothing to do with it. That only impacts whether the player is a restricted or unrestricted free agent.

A 1st round compensation pick would be a great outcome for Geelong when you consider they didn't use a draft pick to get Stengle, nor spend 7 years developing him & paying his salary. A quick turnaround for maximum yield..(I'm surprised Geelong are able to profit so handsomely. There really should be a rule against it. Scrap the FA compo picks, I say.)

The Cats picked Stengle up 3 years ago for nothing as a delisted free agent and (I'm assuming) they paid him peanuts and received an immediate return on their "zero investment" with his 53 goal, All-Australian season. He kicked 3 goals in the 2022 Preliminary Final belting of Brisbane and a game-high 4 goals in the Grand Final thrashing vs Sydney.

A little bit of a down year in 2023, but a return to form this year which has helped create a possible bidding war between rival clubs.

It reminds me a little of how the Cats recruited a 23yo Tim Kelly from the WAFL and got 2 sensational seasons from him before trading him to the Eagles for a bunch of valuable draft picks which helped them to get Jeremy Cameron across from GWS.

The Cats (and Swans) play the wheeling & dealing, list management game better than everyone else. Which is probably why both clubs have made the finals 17 times in the previous 20 years and continue to contend for the flag year after year.

GAGF Catters :mad:

;)

I like that you pumped up how good the Catters are and then that caused you to go and say GAGF.

Love you too Hawks fans, best rivalry <3

I like that you pumped up how good the Catters are and then that caused you to go and say GAGF.

Love you too Hawks fans, best rivalry <3
Yeah, I was just having a bit of fun with dazbroncos time-honoured "Go Catters" sig and putting my twist on it. Not serious... Mainly healthy respect for a great rival club and some mild irritation with the way Scott, Wells and Mackie continue to engineer favourable outcomes for the Cats.

Losing a gun small forward such as Tyson Stengle would not be ideal. He kicks some brilliant goals. But I don't see him as a vital cog in the Geelong machine. The big payday that Stengle is seeking would probably be better spent on a decent midfielder. That's the greater area of concern for Geelong. You've got other handy small forwards who can step up, kick a few more goals and replace Stengle's production.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was just having a bit of fun with dazbroncos time-honoured "Go Catters" sig and putting my twist on it. Not serious... Mainly healthy respect for a great rival club and some mild irritation with the way Scott, Wells and Mackie continue to engineer favourable outcomes for the Cats.

Losing a gun small forward such as Tyson Stengle would not be ideal. He kicks some brilliant goals. But I don't see him as a vital cog in the Geelong machine. The big payday that Stengle is seeking would probably be better spent on a decent midfielder. That's the greater era of concern for Geelong. You've got other handy small forwards who can step up, kick a few more goals and replace Stengle's production.

Spot on, everything you said

"Go Catters"
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

why you asking like there is an actual method of these compo pick rubbish.

He's a UFA.

We could workshop a deal around goodwill with Stengle and the Dogs, but can't outright include him in a deal.

For instance, you pay enough for Stengle to get us band 1, and we send a first back your way for Smith.

Ends up being the same as your idea, but we have to take the roundabout to get there.
The afl canned similar last year with stkilda and Essendon involving Gresham and Shiel.

The afl canned similar last year with stkilda and Essendon involving Gresham and Shiel.

you talking about stkilda giving big enough contract for shiel for a 1st so essenden then trade that the 1st to stkila for grsham?

not trying to disrespect shiel but he was never going to get a "1st round pick" compo deal. Stengle on target to get 50 goals this year and another AA, not saying he definitely get a first round compo but he get a better deal than shiel would have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you talking about stkilda giving big enough contract for shiel for a 1st so essenden then trade that the 1st to stkila for grsham?

not trying to disrespect shiel but he was never going to get a "1st round pick" compo deal. Stengle on target to get 50 goals this year and another AA, not saying he definitely get a first round compo but he get a better deal than shiel would have.
It was Gresham triggering first round compo

Shiel was the makeweight with salary the saints would eat up and send a second rounder back.

AFL canned it. Hence why the above theory won’t fly.

Nah, we would overpay Gresham to net them band 1, and we'd give them Shiel whilst paying most of his salary and get their second in return.

Saints pulled out when they learned about Shiel needing major surgery

Nah, we would overpay Gresham to net them band 1, and we'd give them Shiel whilst paying most of his salary and get their second in return.

We would have paid the Shiel salary.

The AFL canned that iteration of the deal.

Late in trade week we would have done the Shiel trade if you would have taken a half eaten snickers.

Clearly you wouldn’t have and thus the deal died.

Both clubs clearly tried to manoeuvre through the system to get a better outcome.

Which is why people proposing similar shenanigans for their clubs now - need to be mindful that this crap isn’t always allowed (applied loosely because rules are different based on who’s playing 🙃)

We would have paid the Shiel salary.

The AFL canned that iteration of the deal.

Late in trade week we would have done the Shiel trade if you would have taken a half eaten snickers.

Clearly you wouldn’t have and thus the deal died.

Both clubs clearly tried to manoeuvre through the system to get a better outcome.

Which is why people proposing similar shenanigans for their clubs now - need to be mindful that this crap isn’t always allowed (applied loosely because rules are different based on who’s playing 🙃)
We needed to pay most of it to get to the cap floor haha

i dont see anything wrong with the jist of those deal.

Unpopular theory but Stengle is actually doing us a favour by liking the highest bidder.

If we cant make his $$ levels for whatever reason, by then saying ill go to ths highest bidder he's getting the GFC the best compo outcome possible - and if its gets Band 1 which i tmight given the numbers on offer in this thread, a pick after ours in Rd 1 aint the worst outcome for us given what he's given us overall.
3 years, AA, Flag component for 53 goals and leaves on good terms with a Band 1 on the way out.

Id rather he stay but as a return, its not bad for a DFA signing 3 years ago.

Buy low and sell high and this seems like that really.

GO Catters
Mate, if Stengle goes, we get NOTHING. Diddly. Not a brass razoo.

Once a player has attained DFA status, he is a Delisted Free Agent at the end of each and every contract.

No compo.

Unsure if the compo changes come in this year or next when they do the whole review. But I remember that formula was revealed last year to show that it's mostly wage based. I think I remember it being top % earnings mostly for what compo a club receives.

As for the Smith going to Geelong atm 13 is about right on it's own and Geelong would be happy to give it. Dogs will try for more. A future 2nd or 3rd maybe.

Curious to see if there is an actual method. Have NFI how the AFL decides on compo picks.
The released info is the below. They also want to add contract length as a measure according to Twomey.

“A points value is assigned to free agents based on:

• Their average guaranteed contract value
  • What percentile of the AFL contracts theirs falls into
  • Age - with 25-year-old's getting most value”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back