Opinion Ty Zantuck’s mother says years of painkilling injections has ruined his life

Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
THE mother of fallen Richmond hardman Ty Zantuck says football has destroyed her son’s life.

Karmene Zantuck, 60, has detailed a trail of destruction she says was inflicted on her family as a result of years of painkilling jabs used to keep Ty on the field.

She has accused the AFL system of mistreating and abandoning her son.

“Ty’s whole life has been ruined through football,” Karmene said.

NO RECORDS: ZANTUCK’S DAMAGES CLAIM HITS HURDLE

“They knew that he had stress fractures in his back, but instead of giving him time off to heal, they kept pumping him full of drugs.

“He relied on any sort of medication that they were giving to him to get through daily life.

“We have had to endure watching him struggle through everything.”

375961a392a4dcde0a6a5290b4296afd

Karmene Zantuck with a picture of son Ty. Picture: Jay Town
e4294a2ca74225793e706d01b06001ca

Ty Zantuck struggles with a back injury.

Thursday’s Herald Sun revealed a damages claim brought by Zantuck’s lawyers had been hampered by the absence of medical records at the Tigers before 2004.

Zantuck, 36, alleges he was injected with painkillers and epidurals up to 50 times over three seasons under the care of then Richmond doctor Chris Bradshaw from 2001-03.

He played 77 games for the Tigers and Essendon before being delisted in 2005 with a chronic back injury and has since endured 17 operations on his spine.

“He’s never been able to keep a proper job and was forced to try and play local football to get money, because he was so desperate,” Karmene said.

“It’s been an absolute nightmare.

“He needed proper help. You wonder why he’s had all these surgeries and nerve damage to his back. It’s just shocking.”

714a561f27ed8e4b8dbbbf3b39d3837e

Ty Zantuck in action for the Tigers in 2003.

Karmene said she had gone to the AFL Players’ Association headquarters in tears “virtually begging for help with his medical bills”.

“He needed more than just a handout,” she said.

“There was never, ever a phone call to say, ‘Oh, how is Ty going?’ No one ever gave a s--- about what happened to him.

“One day one of these kids will commit suicide, because you’ve got no idea what it’s like when players at such an early age get delisted. It was because he was struggling to play football.

They wouldn’t give him time to heal and when he got to Essendon, after 12 months they turned around and said, ‘we don’t think you fit in here, see you later’.

“But they knew that he had medical problems.

“If a bloke does his knee, he’s out for 12 months, but he had a bad back and they wouldn’t even give him three months.

f3958697de859874f8971c3b4c05436b

Ty Zantuck with sons Jagger and Zepplin earlier this year. Pic: Wayne Taylor

“He hasn’t been an angel … but there was so much pressure on him.”

Karmene said her son “lost everything after he got delisted from Essendon”.

“All of a sudden it just gets pulled from underneath them and the next minute they’re on their own,” she said.

“He lives for his two kids, and I think that’s why he tries so hard to be a good father to them.”

Ty’s father, Shane, played 149 games for North Melbourne, South Melbourne and Melbourne and his uncle Arnold Briedis played in two premierships for the Roos.

Asked whether following in their footsteps was worth the price her son paid, Karmene said: “No way.

“As all parents do, you send your kid down to play football and within three years he’s ended up like a cripple because they never gave him the right medical treatment.

“I’m just so disappointed in the whole system.”

Not sure how I feel on this one

Feel sorry for the bloke but I find it interesting that it says he went on to play local footy as an income witch would of definitely not helped the issues with his back when he could of found more suitable work

That’s a pretty sad story to be honest. I feel like clubs are more medically aware nowadays when it comes to these types of issues. Take Shaun Hampson as an example. He struggled with his back and the club has given him a lot of time off to recover.

Doesn’t really make up for what happened to Zantuck though.

Not sure how I feel on this one

Feel sorry for the bloke but I find it interesting that it says he went on to play local footy as an income witch would of definitely not helped the issues with his back when he could of found more suitable work
Exactly what I thought.

Exactly what I thought.

I really hope the young fella gets some help . Whether he was a tossbag or not he was a Tiger and more importantly has health issues connected with playing footy . I would urge the Tigers to reach out ( if they gave not already ) and support one of their own . We are the new pacesetters in the AFL , let’s be the standard . Best if luck to Ty.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad reading, but I think this is an AFL issue needing to be handled from the top as he played for two AFL clubs and there was no restrictions placed by the AFL on clubs with the administering of pain killers. Hence , allowing players to play with serious injuries only masked by drugs.
Also if it was so serious at Richmond why did he continue to play on at Essendon and then at lower levels?
Wasn’t there a moment back then where commonsense and self responsibility kicked in?
Good luck Ty, but I’m not sure your story is watertight.

Sad reading, but I think this is an AFL issue needing to be handled from the top as he played for two AFL clubs and there was no restrictions placed by the AFL on clubs with the administering of pain killers. Hence , allowing players to play with serious injuries only masked by drugs.
Also if it was so serious at Richmond why did he continue to play on at Essendon and then at lower levels?
Wasn’t there a moment back then where commonsense and self responsibility kicked in?

Hopefully he can get himself right one way or another.

I have always thought that painkilling injections are borderline performance enhancing drugs, in the sense that without them, there would be no performance to be had.

Nothing good ever comes from masking the pain of an injury.

all the best Ty.

Hopefully he can get himself right one way or another.

I have always thought that painkilling injections are borderline performance enhancing drugs, in the sense that without them, there would be no performance to be had.

Nothing good ever comes from masking the pain of an injury.

all the best Ty.
I echo your thoughts on pain killers , especially in elite sports.

He resorted to playing local footy to help pay the bills.
We all do what we can when we have bills to pay.
It was obvious from the story that he wasn't really right to do it, but he was desperate. Cut the bloke some slack.
That picture of his back looks horrendous. He is probably in pain all the time he is awake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And why only go after Richmond, surely Essendon kept records of injections

the players association is very good at looking after past players.
Did you hear the interview yesterday on SEN?

His lawyer/manager said they (Aflpa) weren’t helping him, then channel AFL trotted out ex hawk Russell greene who said the AFLPA where fantastic in their assistance to old players, so who do you believe the ambulance chaser or the AFL , hard hard choice.

Yes there is a duty of care on the tigers, but Essendon and the afl need to be lumped in it, or did his back ailment magically disappear after he went to Essendon only to reappear later.

His back was stuffed at Richmond but the injury was exacerbated at drug land,

I feel bad for Ty and all.

But I think the real headline here is that his sons are named Zeppelin and Jagger Zantuck.
Back pain might've wrecked his life after footy but he's wrecked his sons lives right off the bat!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Ty Zantuck’s mother says years of painkilling injections has ruined his life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back