Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers mate. That is a comprehensive answer to my question. We were so shit during the late eighties and early nineties that is amazing to see our percentage for those years still well above this years confirming that this may have been the worse Richmond year I have seen.

Our Average scoreline is 103 to 65. That is an average of being beaten by almost 40 points each week.

I was a bit surprised, I must admit, by how solid our percentages were in some of those years. Moreover, at the risk of stating the obvious, our inability to score is undoubtedly the reason for our woeful percentage this year.

I was just looking over our current list for 2025 and god its bleak. This has to be the worst Roster in the history of the club.

Best players - Taranto, Vlastuin, Nank
Role players - Short, Hopper, Broad, Balta, Ross, Brown, Mansell, Campbell, Trezise, MRJ
Fringe players - Banks, Ralphsmith, Miller, Green, McAuliffe, Ryan, Kosi, Sonsie, Bauer
Will they play? - Lynch, Gibcus, Lefau, Young, Clarke
? - Smith, Gray, Blight, Fawcett, Hayes-Brown

Delist - Dow, Cumberland, Coulthard, Colina
Retire - Prestia, KMac
Trade - Graham

2024 has been a blessing ………. the fear of watching a team in slow decline after a magnificent dynasty is a pill hard to swallow, particularly if confined to years of finals misses and dribbling one or two draftees in and out and the odd top up …….. adjusting here and there, polish the game plan, reach under the table and pull the odd rabbit out of a hat ……… the familiar fumble and bumble around for years.
From the very next game onwards, we get to go see the future in turbo mode and if done correctly the next (Dusty, Cotch, Jack and Rance) x 2 or x 3 depending on how we cut the draft cake.
To go watch the development of a genuine rebuild excites me, particularly over the next couple of years so we can all start to Dream BIG again lol

I was just looking over our current list for 2025 and god its bleak. This has to be the worst Roster in the history of the club.

Best players - Taranto, Vlastuin, Nank
Role players - Short, Hopper, Broad, Balta, Ross, Brown, Mansell, Campbell, Trezise, MRJ
Fringe players - Banks, Ralphsmith, Miller, Green, McAuliffe, Ryan, Kosi, Sonsie, Bauer
Will they play? - Lynch, Gibcus, Lefau, Young, Clarke
? - Smith, Gray, Blight, Fawcett, Hayes-Brown

Delist - Dow, Cumberland, Coulthard, Colina
Retire - Prestia, KMac
Trade - Graham
Prestia got another year mate.

Yeh ……. List far from complete heading into 2025 including draftees, free agents and any potential trades.
A Band-Aid approach won’t work, so it’s a methodical plan and rebuild to ensure the list has potential to grow into something special.
definitely as most of those names on that list won't be in our next premiership team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back