Analysis This is the worst start in our 116-year VFL/AFL history

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice write up , but what exactly are our picks and where are these magical quality midfielders coming from ? From inside the top 30 or later ? We have a lot iof draft capital but sadly not many at the pointy end which will be gutted by Norfs priority pick and their normal picks , before the CFL starts handing out compensation to other clubs for FA trades
we need to spread our top picks over two season as you can 't expect to find a pile of jets in the one draft.

we need to spread our top picks over two season as you can 't expect to find a pile of jets in the one draft.

Why would pick x be worth more in one draft than pick x in another draft? Doesn't make sense TI.

If we could get the same picks either way and don't have reason to believe next years draft is stronger, you probably benefit from getting all the players into the club as early as possible.

There are full time recruiters at the club who will be all over the relative values of picks in both drafts and different strategies they can use to max the benefit for the club. But all being equal, absolutely no reason to believe pick 10 in 2024 isn't just as good as pick 10 in 2025.

I said it was the worst Richmond side ever last week that I’ve seen in 51 years. We struggle do anything right now.
Yze started his career all wrong by not setting standards and being bum chums with the senior players. Now the seasons shot and the rot has set in he can’t pass his message to them to lift their standards and the results are worsening. He will hopefully just have to ride the season out and hope most of them retire or leave, but I think his bar is set low and he will continue patting guys on the back for mediocre performances.
We've been playing so many kids week in week out and yet you still have people with the opinion that all we are doing is gifting games to senior players. It's like some of you have no critical thinking ability at all

Yze has performed as best as he could considering the mess he inherited.
  • Players not developed by the Hardwick or McQualter
  • Insufficient investment in the medical department
  • Insufficient investment in the coaching department
Coaches are only as good as the players available, right now we have players who should be playing all season in the magoos learning their craft.

Our injury list has not availed our players or Yze that luxury.
Players weren't developed under Dimma? Huh? That sounds kinda of ridiculous

Our performance over the last 2 weeks in particular has been diabolically bad, but I am not one bit concerned.

This has come as a function of a number of things, pretty much all of which will be partially or fully corrected within 15-20 games from now.

1. The list composition....The club has by accident or design ended up in a position with no viable relief inside midfielders. We could have tried to recruit the Luke Dunstans and Jaryd Lyons and Will Brodies of the world and carried them on our list for times like this, and they would be a lot more competitive right now than Dow-McAuliffe-Prestia-Bolton-whoever. But where does it ultimately get you? Given we are likely to recruit some quality midfielders this off season, this issue should be partially resolved to commence next season.

2. Obviously, injuries. Out of our best 22 we probably have Lynch, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, Baker, Grimes, Gibcus, Maurice Jnr, Ross and one of Campbell or Clarke missing. Then of the players who could best replace them, Banks, the other one of Campbell/Clarke, Trezise. That is out of the team. Within the team we have Martin, who is at least equal to our best player anywhere near his current best, clearly hampered. And likely some others playing under duress. Barring an indefinite run of further calamities, all of this should be resolved by this point next season.

3. Chronic unfamiliarity between the players on the field in their respective roles. Last night only Nankervis, Bolton, Vlastuin, Broad, D Rioli, Short, have been largely unbroken medium to long term in their roles within the team and not apparently carrying restrictive injuries. About 6 players. At best you could count another couple like Pickett and McIntosh. But it is now way less than half the team. All whilst learning a new game plan under a new coaching structure. Up against Brisbane who probably had around 14 players in their roles medium to long term and under the same coaching structure for years. Look in particular at the structurally key positions. Young, Miller, Lefau, Balta, McAuliffe, Dow, Prestia(poorly prepared) and only Nankervis fully established in his role. This issue should obviously be vastly improved by this time next year.

4. Experimentation. There is clearly an element of the coaches seeing what players can do in certain roles going on. Lefau second ruck rather than Balta for eg. Bolton largely being withheld from the midfield in recent weeks. Clearly 20 more games down the track several questions will be answered and not requiring further experimentation.

5. Being forced to play all but the last handful of players on our list, Colina, Hayes-Brown, Fawcett, Smith(restricted workload this year apparently.) But we had on the field last night probably most of the players notionally ranked 30-39 on our list. Including a debutante, an 18yo inside mid, some players who appeared ready for the chopping block at season's end, some guys in Young and Lefau who are still learning to play football let alone at AFL level. This is a rare scenario that should not happen indefinitely, there is every chance this time next year no player ranked blow 28 or so on our list will be taking the field in our AFL team.

6. The lure of cream draft picks. We don't know how big a part this is playing. But we are seeing someone like Baker miss 2 games with a corky, Grimes being held out of the team, Dusty playing the game in a wholly unfamiliar way. Obviously the MSD is fast approaching and the club may have a strong preference for a particular player. And of course a cellar finish this season elevates our rd 1, 2 & 3 picks for 2024 significantly, and also probably increases the value of our future picks for trading purposes.

So to me this is not like a repeatedly failing list where you can't see where it is going. It is very much in the nature of a perfect storm that should pass quickly enough. Exactly how good we will be after that storm has passed cannot be known, but I am confident we will be at the very least competitive.
WOW!! Someone that makes sense to me.
Well written Meteoric Rise

10 years of regular finals appearances, three premierships... limits draft choices massively and makes just about every pick speculative.

Massive injury list, playing kids not ready and playing some who might never actually make it (somewhat related to the late draft picks mentioned above).

Huge loss of on-field leadership and experience in the past few seasons.

Two big losses smashing the percentage down (71% dropping to 59%) after being competitive at times in most games (but still losing).

So while it is disappointing it's not entirely surprising.

10 years of regular finals appearances, three premierships... limits draft choices massively and makes just about every pick speculative.

Massive injury list, playing kids not ready and playing some who might never actually make it (somewhat related to the late draft picks mentioned above).

Huge loss of on-field leadership and experience in the past few seasons.

Two big losses smashing the percentage down (71% dropping to 59%) after being competitive at times in most games (but still losing).

So while it is disappointing it's not entirely surprising.
It is to me only because of how quick it all happened. We were in finals in 2022 and are now getting thumped by 119. I was hoping we wouldn’t go back to these days because not every team gets thumped like that while on the bottom.

Hawthorn for example haven’t been thumped by over 100 points at all since their dynasty. They were belted on occasions, but it just feels like they wouldn’t lose like that no matter who they field. Same with Collingwood. We are already back to those margins. Same with 2016 when we were down by 136 points against Sydney at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Our injuries weren’t as bad as nowadays, but we still got thumped like that. I sometimes just think it’s ingrained in our culture to get smashed like that.

As of right now though, I understand why it’s happening. We walked into a perfect storm with all that’s happening

Here's a sad and sobering stat:

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%.

Awful seasons like the 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 seasons had better starts. We even had a better start in the 80s and 90s when we were a rabble.
This is a sad fact that i wish i didnt know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll make finals next year, calm down
Unlikely, we are a shitshow right now and i doubt we will make finals without the development of the youngsters! we need to get rid of our older players to build a strong foundation for these coming years! We wont make finals for another 10 years and a premiership is far away from now! All we can do now is watch our players develop

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%.

Awful seasons like the 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 seasons had better starts. We even had a better start in the 80s and 90s when we were a rabble.

How does that make you feel? For me, it kinda makes me sad given that this came 3 years after one of our most dominant eras ever. I'll be honest and say that I was nowhere near prepared to see us slump to our worst start in history only 4 years after our Premiership. I obviously understand why given our injury list, but still. Does this stat mean much? Not really. It is only 10 rounds into a 24-round season, but it's still a bit sad.

Having said that, if someone asked me whether I would go through our worst season ever just to see Richmond win a Premiership, then I would have said yes in a heartbeat. We've won three of them. Yes, many people around my age and younger have only lived through 6 seasons in which Richmond won a final, but those 4 seasons from 2017-2020 were top-tier. I hope we're back there soon.

For now though, we gotta get through this trough. I hope Yze survives this period, but I know that the industry can be rough on new coaches that start like this. Surely he gets at least a couple of seasons that aren't injury-marred.
Yze will survive for 3 years unless it gets ugly (not on the field) but behind the scenes and the media catches wind of it.

I’ll throw this out there as I was looking at stats last night.

Dusty started his Career with 8 losses and won his 9th game.

Since then over his career he has never lost more games in a row than that.

Counting last years final game vs Port and all the games Dusty has played this year and he is currently sitting at 9 losses in a row.

let’s be honest, Dusty hasn’t been the same since the Robinson hit that put him in hospital for 9 days. He lost a lot of his explosive power and strength in that stretch. He noticeable looks smaller in comparison to his prime days.

I don’t think he is capable of playing the midfield role anymore. He never really played full time mid during our run anyway, he has grown into the full-forward hybrid role. Which he could play for another year or 2. But he is trying to cover the injuries.

Yze will survive for 3 years unless it gets ugly (not on the field) but behind the scenes and the media catches wind of it.
Well apparently Tom Morris is reporting that players are starting to get “confused” about the game plan.

Allegedly though. We can’t really rely on what journalists say because sometimes they speak without a reliable source.

Regardless, 3 years is a good time to see what he has got

How does that make you feel? For me, it kinda makes me sad given that this came 3 years after one of our most dominant eras ever. I'll be honest and say that I was nowhere near prepared to see us slump to our worst start in history only 4 years after our Premiership. I obviously understand why given our injury list, but still. Does this stat mean much? Not really. It is only 10 rounds into a 24-round season, but it's still a bit sad.

Having said that, if someone asked me whether I would go through our worst season ever just to see Richmond win a Premiership, then I would have said yes in a heartbeat. We've won three of them. Yes, many people around my age and younger have only lived through 6 seasons in which Richmond won a final, but those 4 seasons from 2017-2020 were top-tier. I hope we're back there soon.

For now though, we gotta get through this trough. I hope Yze survives this period, but I know that the industry can be rough on new coaches that start like this. Surely he gets at least a couple of seasons that aren't injury-marred.
Lol, we have fielded far worse teams and we are hit by a lot of injuries

I am unfazed. This was bound to happen and I am glad it is happening now. At some level Gale knew there was a problem as he did not try stop Dimma from leaving. They tried for one more flag and you cannot blame them. I think Yze is handling himself incredibly well and I have full confidence in him. He needs certainty around him and that is why Gale needs to go ASAP so we begin building the next density.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back