List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

We wouldn't get 8 & 10 for a straight swap for Rioli. We would have to give them something back. Pick 8 is 1551 points. Pick 10 is 1395.

If Lombard went so pick 6 that's 1,751 points they require. Their picks 20 (912),26 (729) & 30 (629) is 2,270 points. (519 points remain)

They would want another pick most likely our pick 22. (845 points) which would still give them 2 picks in the 20's.

So, for us to get their 2 high picks it would probably have to look something like:

Gold Coast
Out: Pick 8 & 10
In: Rioli and pick 22

That would give us pick 2, 8, 10, 32

Gold Coast with picks 20,22,26 & 30 plus Rioli
Just conjecture but there has been a few junior watchers that think Lombard can go as high as pick 1 or 2😮

Campaigners describing Dan Rioli as "just a half back flanker" simply haven't been watching for the last 2 or 3 years.

And whenever someone starts their rationalisation of how dispensable he is because "he's 28 at the start of next season", it should be countered by saying that he will therefore have 5 more full seasons before he stops being 32.

Stop devaluing him just to justify getting rid of him.

If we have to move Dan on to contribute to our rebuild, which is a possibility, then our starting position must be for those two early picks of the Suns (#7 and #8). Anything less and we are being rubber gloved.

Well said. Dan is a good footballer, regardless of age. He is one of the few who are constantly pushing themselves to create an option for their teammate. His decision-making and skills are excellent. He is lightning quick to go with that endurance. We are crying out for more of these footballers but instead everyone wants to trade them out for lottery picks where we might get a player half as good.

The other thing that bears a lot of consideration for me is the Dan the person. He seems to be a great club man. He has developed his leadership to a point where he is now setting a good example to our many rookies. You want blokes like this at your club. As a club you cannot demand loyalty from your players (3x premiership player at that) then just trade them away for some magic beans.

Which brings us neatly to club culture. Yes, the club is bigger than the individuals. People like Dan improve ours. I also like one club players. Should we have sold Richo off to get a draft pick? Dusty? Cotch? Jack R? The Rioli name is synonymous with Richmond. To see him and any future Rioli's in a Gold Coast jumper........no, no no.

I understand the principle of maximising our draft hand. I just think that you must weigh the pros and cons of a player AND person rather than cold-hearted ruthless lottery numbers.

Well said. Dan is a good footballer, regardless of age. He is one of the few who are constantly pushing themselves to create an option for their teammate. His decision-making and skills are excellent. He is lightning quick to go with that endurance. We are crying out for more of these footballers but instead everyone wants to trade them out for lottery picks where we might get a player half as good.

The other thing that bears a lot of consideration for me is the Dan the person. He seems to be a great club man. He has developed his leadership to a point where he is now setting a good example to our many rookies. You want blokes like this at your club. As a club you cannot demand loyalty from your players (3x premiership player at that) then just trade them away for some magic beans.

Which brings us neatly to club culture. Yes, the club is bigger than the individuals. People like Dan improve ours. I also like one club players. Should we have sold Richo off to get a draft pick? Dusty? Cotch? Jack R? The Rioli name is synonymous with Richmond. To see him and any future Rioli's in a Gold Coast jumper........no, no no.

I understand the principle of maximising our draft hand. I just think that you must weigh the pros and cons of a player AND person rather than cold-hearted ruthless lottery numbers.
I don't think anyone wants to willingly trade Rioli, it's more that if the Suns are offering something along the lines of what is being reported, then we'd be nuts to knock it back especially if he requested the trade.

Just conjecture but there has been a few junior watchers that think Lombard can go as high as pick 1 or 2😮
Pick 2 is 2,517 so if they lost pick 8 & 10 for Rioli they would only have 2,270 points.

Our late picks 32,40,41 & 50 is only 1698 points. I doubt they would want our later picks if Lombard went pick 2. They would still definitely want our pick 22 and probably even pick 32 as well to allow them to get Lombard at 2 and still have 2 picks at 30 & 32 remaining.

If we were to lose Baker Bolton & Rioli and Prestia Martin Grimes McIntosh & Graham depart at seasons end we will still have a solid core to build a side around.

Backs: Broad Vlastuin Short Miller
Ruck/Midfield: Nankervis Taranto Hopper Pickett Ross
Forwards: Lynch Balta Koschitzke

That's 12 players that can be the foundation of a side providing leadership and experience across all 3 lines as we bring the next generation of players through and there is a good group already at the club that are starting to push their way into the 23.

Backs: Brown Young Gibcus Bauer Trezise Smith Blight
Ruck/Midfield: Ryan OHB Ralphsmith Dow McAuliffe
Forwards: Lefau Mansell Sonsie Cumberland Campbell Gray

That's another 18 players that gives us a solid group of 30 to build around in 2025 and with potentially a raft of high quality draftees to be added we could rebound quite quickly, especially if we can get consistency with regards the team playing together.

So I don't believe we should be fearful of a major shake up happening at years end if it does happen. If anything we should embrace it and hope that it actually does happen.
There is no way they'd trade all 3 of Rioli, Baker and Bolton. 2 at most.

We would probably keep Prestia and KMac if we did too. Or at least 1 of them.

All of a sudden your 12 becomes 14 or 15.

Then Louie surgeries 7 of them and we are ****ed 🤣

If suns are legitimately open to giving us 7/8 plus 20, and Rioli wants to go then we should do everything we can to squeeze them for 7 and 8 instead. Even if we have to give them a 2nd/3rd round pick this year and next year for their academy kids.
Yeah having a look at it just a few minutes ago, its definitely worth asking. Also, would still allow us to keep our later picks in the hope of sending them to Carlton or Lions for their 1st round. 5 picks in the top 20 could be huge for us.

The oppo posters would melt so hard.

Like the comments

Love the last line.

If i had a choice, it would be Rioli and Baker. Knowing our club we wont look at trading Rioli and only let Baker go if he wants to go.

If i had a choice, it would be Rioli and Baker. Knowing our club we wont look at trading Rioli and only let Baker go if he wants to go.
Yes we should be keeping Bolton. If we lost him too we might kick 3 or 4 goals per week lol

Yes we should be keeping Bolton. If we lost him too we might kick 3 or 4 goals per week lol
Mate I’m one of his biggest fans , hate to break it To ya , he is playing and we’re kicking like 6-7 goals a week
Ooze needs a new set of keys to build a next gen tigerland , dimma started with a core of R1s on on board , let’s do it again

Pick 2 is 2,517 so if they lost pick 8 & 10 for Rioli they would only have 2,270 points.

Our late picks 32,40,41 & 50 is only 1698 points. I doubt they would want our later picks if Lombard went pick 2. They would still definitely want our pick 22 and probably even pick 32 as well to allow them to get Lombard at 2 and still have 2 picks at 30 & 32 remaining.

We will have pick 2 so won't bid on Lombard. What's pick 3 worth?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have enough experience and leaders to go through this phase of the rebuild
Vlastuin , Nankervis , Broad , Hopper , Taranto , Martin , Short and some that will become leaders that have been at the club 3-5 years.

I think we need to cash in some assets and take the pill to rebuild this and next year
And with the cap for picks introduced next year if I was Blair I'd be on the front foot too the Swans who will be desperate too keep Warner but have cap issues.

And with the cap for picks introduced next year if I was Blair I'd be on the front foot too the Swans who will be desperate too keep Warner but have cap issues.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

How pissed off will West Coast & Freo be lol

I don't think anyone wants to willingly trade Rioli, it's more that if the Suns are offering something along the lines of what is being reported, then we'd be nuts to knock it back especially if he requested the trade.
Exactly

Also worth mentioning how pissed off the southern state teams are with GC getting all these guns for unders so expect bids from as early as 1 or 2 IMO. Unless some unsaid agreements are made.

clubs will want them to pay up massively.

Mate I’m one of his biggest fans , hate to break it To ya , he is playing and we’re kicking like 6-7 goals a week
Ooze needs a new set of keys to build a next gen tigerland , dimma started with a core of R1s on on board , let’s do it again
I know but getting rid of 1 of the guys that can create and kick goals seems a bad idea. If the club decides to do it we will be rewarded handsomely so won't complain

We wouldn't get 8 & 10 for a straight swap for Rioli. We would have to give them something back. Pick 8 is 1551 points. Pick 10 is 1395.

If Lombard went say pick 6 that's 1,751 points they require. Their picks 20 (912),26 (729) & 30 (629) is 2,270 points. (519 points remain)

They would want another pick most likely our pick 22. (845 points) which would still give them 2 picks in the 20's.

So, for us to get their 2 high picks it would probably have to look something like:

Gold Coast
Out: Pick 8 & 10
In: Rioli and pick 22

That would give us pick 2, 8, 10, 32

Gold Coast with picks 20,22,26 & 30 plus Rioli
That might be the final trade in this situation, but not where you start.
Ita negotiation, you don't start where you are hoping you start higher and see who blinks first.
Given Rioli is contracted long term we really don't have to blink.
There are also other option like paying part of Rioli's contract, use that and we might not have to give up 22, or use a later pick etc

That might be the final trade in this situation, but not where you start.
Ita negotiation, you don't start where you are hoping you start higher and see who blinks first.
Given Rioli is contracted long term we really don't have to blink.
There are also other option like paying part of Rioli's contract, use that and we might not have to give up 22, or use a later pick etc
OfCourse but I'm talking on a what would most likely work basis.

Just a thought
If say this does eventuate
#2 - Richmond
#7 - Gold Coast
#8 - Gold Coast
#10 - Brisbane pick
#13 - Baker
#22 - Richmond 2nd

You can get alot of talent here
We lose D. Rioli and Liam Baker. Lot of talent there too but I see what you're saying. Or are we better off cutting Bolton loose (hell of a lot of talent there!) and keeping Rioli and Baker and getting a similar deal ?

Or keep all three, lose Graham to FA and just use the late pics to fatten our hand ?

#2 - Richmond
#8 - Gold Coast
#10 - Brisbane or #15 - Carlton
#22 - Richmond
#30ish - Richmond

This is a deep draft. Imagine keeping all our A grade talent and having 2 top 10 picks a pick between 10&15 say and another two inside about 30 !

Hmmm

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back