List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that would be gold!

What would band 3 look like? I reckon he’d be offered overs to move as he’s ‘free’ and doesn’t need a trade. I’m thinking 4-years on $550k/season. Does that get band 3?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Only the AFL knows.
For Norf it would probably get them band 2, for us we probably get nothing or maybe the very lowest possible compo

Won't happen, Gold Coast still need leverage for Lombard. I guess your talking about their 2 early picks not their late 1st rounder.
GC trading us one of those early picks actually makes it easier to obtain the second one. Without pick 7 there, pick 8 is eaten by the Lombard bid. Trading up would be difficult given they need their future first for Uwland, so the likely scenario would be that they would break 8 down for points like they did last year.

GC trading us one of those early picks actually makes it easier to obtain the second one. Without pick 7 there, pick 8 is eaten by the Lombard bid. Trading up would be difficult given they need their future first for Uwland, so the likely scenario would be that they would break 8 down for points like they did last year.
In a perfect world (assuming he wants out) we could facilitate the points they need and take 7,8 and 20 off their hands via Rioli and a package of picks

Hypothetical but if Rioli does make the move and we get x2 first rounders for him one in the top 10 and one late

Do we try and get eagles best (2 or 3 at this stage) for Baker and the earlier pick we get from the Gold Coast (pick 7 or 8 atm) with maybe some later pick shuffles thrown in?
Mad not too try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our form is to not go crazy matching oppo club bids. Ellis, CCJ and Chol. Baker will have an offer from us and a 2nd WA club bidding won't push our offer up.

Baker is a great player but replacable. Graham is a below standard, half forward. easily replaced Dusty already aging.

Rioli is a very good half back ~ easily replacable.

Personally I think we trade 2, delist a few & retire a few. Prestia, Grimes, Naismith at least.

We have Lynch & Dusty and a heap others retiring end of 2025, I can see 2 seasons of clean out but if there's a player in the draft this year, I could see us going for it.

We were active with Horne Francis.
No we don't go overs, but Baker is better than any of those three you mentioned, he is mentioned as a potential captain ffs, (not that I think he is necessarily the best option there).
Our offer will be very good, but if a player wants to stay, they will stay for unders, I think it would really need to be substantially more coin for him to leave, or he just isn't fully committed and in that case I'm happy for him to go, but I don't think that's his style.

If Baker , Graham both leave then we need to aim for both of GC 1st rounders
Contribute to his salary & throw in later picks for points effectively buying a top 10 pick

3 picks inside 10 and another 3 inside 30 would be a massive list rebuild with another 2-3 next year
thats 10+ players in 2 years 'Just before Tassie' would be the smart move
Yes and if you average out strike rates on the top 20, we could have our core locked in before Tassie which we essentially did before GC and GWS.

to be fair I don’t even think we need two picks for Rioli.

If they offered us a straight swap for pick 7 or 8 id probably be ok with that

I know we have to play hardball and milk the fk out them but pick 7 for a 28 YO half back flank (yes he is one of the better ones) when we are commencing a quick re build is still a decent return.
He's by far our best HBF and will be for the next 3-4 years probably, he's contracted, we don't do a fair trade, we get kissed on the dick or he stays.

Yes and if you average out strike rates on the top 20, we could have our core locked in before Tassie which we essentially did before GC and GWS.
Richmond have enough experience and leaders to go through this phase of the rebuild
Vlastuin , Nankervis , Broad , Hopper , Taranto , Martin , Short and some that will become leaders that have been at the club 3-5 years.

I think we need to cash in some assets and take the pill to rebuild this and next year

Richmond should be interviewing Lombard a few times

We are seriously considering Lombard at #2 ;)
GC will know this a real chance to, adding a whole other layer of complexity to this trade.

We wouldn't get 8 & 10 for a straight swap for Rioli. We would have to give them something back. Pick 8 is 1551 points. Pick 10 is 1395.

If Lombard went say pick 6 that's 1,751 points they require. Their picks 20 (912),26 (729) & 30 (629) is 2,270 points. (519 points remain)

They would want another pick most likely our pick 22. (845 points) which would still give them 2 picks in the 20's.

So, for us to get their 2 high picks it would probably have to look something like:

Gold Coast
Out: Pick 8 & 10
In: Rioli and pick 22

That would give us pick 2, 8, 10, 32

Gold Coast with picks 20,22,26 & 30 plus Rioli

Just a thought
If say this does eventuate
#2 - Richmond
#7 - Gold Coast
#8 - Gold Coast
#10 - Brisbane pick
#13 - Baker
#22 - Richmond 2nd

You can get alot of talent here
Yep, absolutely but it’s just a pipe dream at this point. I’ll wait until it’s real in October as I don’t think we will lose Dan, nor possibly even Liam Baker. But who knows what’s going on in reality.

If we were to lose Baker Bolton & Rioli and Prestia Martin Grimes McIntosh & Graham depart at seasons end we will still have a solid core to build a side around.

Backs: Broad Vlastuin Short Miller
Ruck/Midfield: Nankervis Taranto Hopper Pickett Ross
Forwards: Lynch Balta Koschitzke

That's 12 players that can be the foundation of a side providing leadership and experience across all 3 lines as we bring the next generation of players through and there is a good group already at the club that are starting to push their way into the 23.

Backs: Brown Young Gibcus Bauer Trezise Smith Blight
Ruck/Midfield: Ryan OHB Ralphsmith Dow McAuliffe
Forwards: Lefau Mansell Sonsie Cumberland Campbell Gray

That's another 18 players that gives us a solid group of 30 to build around in 2025 and with potentially a raft of high quality draftees to be added we could rebound quite quickly, especially if we can get consistency with regards the team playing together.

So I don't believe we should be fearful of a major shake up happening at years end if it does happen. If anything we should embrace it and hope that it actually does happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back