List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think so, I also recall West Coast were very keen to trade for our pick 3 at the time because they also wanted Dusty.
They were keen to trade Judd to us for Pick 2 to get Cotchin but AFL sorry i mean CFL told us to butt out to ensure Judd got to Carlton.

We had the better offer with pick 2, 18 & something else (cant remember)

Do not disagree with this take on Bolton.

However, we're already likely to be stacked for picks this year, do we really need more? Are we sure it's a good enough draft to trade so heavily into?
I don't know enough about the draftees, but I don't think there is much that stops us for trading for future first round picks. I wonder if we could position ourselves for picks 1 and 2 in 2025?

One guy we should look at trading is Shai. He's not a leader. I'm not sure we're the right club for him anymore. His trade value is huge. It's worth exploring.
Uh Oh.
1714954495285.png

Do not disagree with this take on Bolton.

However, we're already likely to be stacked for picks this year, do we really need more? Are we sure it's a good enough draft to trade so heavily into?
Not saying it will happen,But Bolton worth 2 firsts.I'd be splitting both 2024 & 2025.

I'd love the club to be in Ed Richards ear with all the noise about an unhappy playing group at the kennel. He'd slot in beautifully on a wing. Young, fast, good mark, good left foot.

enrich me with some facts about today mate

I told you in 2021 this team was going down the stinker & the club needed to rebuild ASAP, hardcore. Tell me some facts about how that worked out for us.

Worst group of 26y.o's and younger in 40 years now. This team is screwed
Maybe good time for you to go back to the team you supported before 2017 then

If and only if Baker wants to go then I'd be looking to get Brisbane's first for a package of later picks (points), and then trading that with Baker for their first.

Would give us two picks in the top 5, which should net two elite midfielders.
We also need another top pick for a key forward.
The cupboard is pretty bare.

Wrong.

“In the third of a special feature series leading into the 2014 National Draft, Richmond’s Recruiting Manager Francis Jackson provides a fascinating insight into the 2009 drafting of Tiger young gun Dustin Martin.
By richmondfc.com.au
Nov 19, 2014, 6:15am

No Dustin doubt
“2009 was a very interesting year, with the close finish (for the wooden spoon). Melbourne finished below us, and qualified for a priority pick. We weren’t quite sure (what it would do with the top two selections), but we were very, very strong on Dustin.”
“We were ecstatic when we found out that Melbourne had committed to Tom Scully and Jack Trengove“

He'd hardly going to say 5 years after the fact we preferred the 2 duds but the superstar fell in our lap.

Was told pre draft we had Trengove 1 but didn't think he'd be there and we hoped Dees would take Scully as we didn't rate top 3.

Quick recap of what Tigs said on the pod (feel free to add anything I missed, or correct anything wrong):
  • Baker not a guarantee to leave. Still a good chance to sign on, more likely closer to September if he does.
  • North might look at some of our leaders (Nank prior to talks of him resigning, Prestia, TT and KMac the names mentioned). We might look at a fwd (Key or HF) and/or picks if it does occur for a very good player.
  • Will draft best available with out top picks (so midfielders based on the current noise around the draft).
  • Grimes very likely, almost certain, to retire end of this season.
  • Will potentially look at a (young) key fwd next trade season (so not the one at the end of this season).

Edit 1: If a WA club comes for a big offer for Baker (2 first round picks, with one of them being top 4 or top 5, for example), we won't push Baker out the door, but there will be serious conversations being had. Baker also loves some of the younger players, and want to see them develop, being a factor with his want to potentially staying at Richmond.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick recap of what Tigs said on the pod (feel free to add anything I missed, or correct anything wrong):
  • Baker not a guarantee to leave. Still a good chance to sign on, more likely closer to September if he does.
  • North might look at some of our leaders (Nank prior to talks of him resigning, Prestia, TT and KMac the names mentioned). We might look at a fwd (Key or HF) and/or picks if it does occur for a very good player.
  • Will draft best available with out top picks (so midfielders based on the current noise around the draft).
  • Grimes very likely, almost certain, to retire end of this season.
  • Will potentially look at a (young) key fwd next trade season (so not the one at the end of this season).
Don't think we'd offer much resistance to Prestia and Macca going, but there's no chance TT gets greenlit.

B&F in his first and only full season. Surely we're not even vaguely contemplating moving him on.

Sounds more like North have asked us for TT, rather than anything from our side.
I doubt they would be asking about TT
North have mids coming out of the rear gates of arden st and Clarkson st and the last player they need is TT

But hey if they really want him fine they can have him for their 2nd rounder provided they pay Jack Graham $1 mil a year c 4 years and McIntosh the same giving Richmond picks #2 + #3 + #4 in this years draft

Short like a few others was going through the motions yesterday. Stats wise looked a good game, but defensively he was terrible.
I’d rather Brown become our distributor off hb, he also needs to work on his defensive game, but his kicking and decision making is excellent.
Probably time to move on and get the back 6 in place that with any luck will be part of our next finals thrust in 3 years.
I reckon if he wants to be part of the team, go back to being a forward.

Don't think we'd offer much resistance to Prestia and Macca going, but there's no chance TT gets greenlit.

B&F in his first and only full season. Surely we're not even vaguely contemplating moving him on.
TT would be candidate for nect capt , not surprised they’d have a dip at nank he’s the type they need

I'd love the club to be in Ed Richards ear with all the noise about an unhappy playing group at the kennel. He'd slot in beautifully on a wing. Young, fast, good mark, good left foot.
I’d park a couple of pics r2\3 for trades ,,,, fin McRae, josh fahey , might be a few others ,,,,,what about the gws FA ? Or Ben ainsworth

Saints and McCartin was a massive howler. Petracca was clearly the #1 elect for the entire year leading into that draft … Saints got nervous because of NRoo coming to the end and changed to McCartin. Massive error that wasn’t made in hindsight. Billings over Bont a huge error in hindsight, but not sure that was any big surprise at the time.

But sliding doors … Saints pick Bont and Petracca over McCartin and Billings they’d likely have their second or even third flag by now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nahhhh
Your forgetting, Saints.

Yeah Lennon over Cripps. Tambling over Franklin. Fiora over Pavlich. Even Jarryd Oakley Nichols over Mitch Clarke, Shaun Higgins, Grant Birchall, Shannon Hurn & Nathan Jones. Its actually embarrassing we are trying to act like we are good at this. Outside of the Cotchin & Dusty drafts, we have never really smashed it in 30 years have we?
Youngsters and rfc spell disaster and it keeps going. Had we not hit the mark with ready-made players we would not be talking about a dynasty. People don't get it and harp on the dynasty. Geelong has the perfect model bringing on youth mixed with oldies. As soon as one oldi retires they already have a replacement. Even now do you think youth would be playing if we had no injuries? Hoping this new guy hits the mark on picks this year otherwise, we can wright off the next few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back