List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its just my shitty opinion like everyone else's - but trading in TWO mids from the same 16th placed team & expecting them to rise you from 7th to 1st seems a bit ambitious.
What a ridiculous comment !!

Maybe you should of said " Trading in 2 mids from a GF team that finished 1 & 3 in their teams B & F could rise you from 7th to 1st"

Yeah we also traded in Kane Johnson to be our "final piece". Then Stafford. Then Paul Hudson.

For everytime moves like that work ala 2017, 10 other times it doesn't work. Wasn't everyone laughing at Carlton & Cerra last year? How is this different? If anything them going after Cerra made more sense as they already had that elite young talent in Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Weitering. For elite young talent in those area's we only have Bolton, with fingers crossed for Balta & Gibcus.

Its one thing to get 25 touches playing for the No One Cares Giants, and another to do it in Melbourne for Richmond. Remeber that spotlight Dusty & Buddy wanted to run away from? Its real. When you start your career at a club that has none of that intensity, that can become your normal. It can be very unexpected, daunting & overwhelming.
You are all over the shop now, Best go to bed

Yeah, I prefer a measured, balance foray with value a focus.

Going all in like flynn is a little reckless and we do not want to end up like Collingwood. Not sure how we pay for this?

I think some of out opposition clubs are smiling with amusement because if we are not winning flags we f... up

I certainly see the value in those players & i like winning too. I am sure they make us better - but its the cost. To get both at the same time is a very very arrogant move, its almost insulting to the club you are dealing with. There will be no good will here. The fact we were balls deep into these stories 48 hours after our finals exit shows just how keen we are.

Essentially to get Hopper & Taranto, we may be trading away 2 x Gibcus + 2 x Sonsie & be paying the same, if not more in salary. We also completely remove ourselves from being able to stumble across our next Cotchin, Dusty & Rance for 2 more years. I like Taranto & Hopper, but i dont see their ceiling to be that high & thats the ceiling we will need to win a flag.

With so many players set to retire we not thinking about how we fill all those spots. How the F are we going to replace Riewoldt, Lynch, Grimes, Tarrant ? We totally lack any possible elite KPF & B prospects - we are going to have no choice but to replace them from the 3rd,4th, 5th rounds

You are all over the shop now, Best go to bed

You didn't understand what i was talking about, did you sweet pea? you have no idea who Kane Johnson is

Mulling it over i think getting them both is ridiculous. I would just secure 1 with Hopper my preference, & still retain a good portion of our 2022-23 draft hand. When we got Presita, Caddy & Toby,,we only stuffed up our draft hand for 1 year as we shipped off Deledio for a 1st & 3rd rounder. Toby only cost us a 3rd rounder, & Caddy was a 2nd. So basically the cost/risk involved in what we are doing this year, trading all present & future 1st & 2nd round picks, is not even close to being comparable in trades. We will not have many picks above 40 for 2 years

Going after both is crazy, especially since they are both at the 1 club. Is a pretty arrogant move to GWS too - seems unnecessary

Last edited:
I certainly see the value in those players & i like winning too. I am sure they make us better - but its the cost. To get both at the same time is a very very arrogant move, its almost insulting to the club you are dealing with. There will be no good will here. The fact we were balls deep into these stories 48 hours after our finals exit shows just how keen we are.

Essentially to get Hopper & Taranto, we may be trading away 2 x Gibcus + 2 x Sonsie & be paying the same, if not more in salary. We also completely remove ourselves from being able to stumble across our next Cotchin, Dusty & Rance for 2 more years. I like Taranto & Hopper, but i dont see their ceiling to be that high & thats the ceiling we will need to win a flag.

With so many players set to retire we not thinking about how we fill all those spots. How the F are we going to replace Riewoldt, Lynch, Grimes, Tarrant ? We totally lack any possible elite KPF & B prospects - we are going to have no choice but to replace them from the 3rd,4th, 5th rounds

It has been more than two years when we won a premiership. When we won Dusty was firing.

Now, Dusty is older, he can come back but the past ways are not necessarily doable. We might have to win a different way.

It is far too easy to say put in Taranto and Hopper and say bingo we now win. You are correct GWS have not been outstanding in recent years.

Our defence is worse, Rance is not there, Houli is gone, our players are older but change is not needed?

Furthermore, what are our youngsters and others supposed to do if Hopper and others take away their opportunity??

Was the Swans trading for players when developing their academy players?? As I recall they where actually losing players rather than adding players from elsewhere. Geelong did not spend a lot getting Stengle, Henry and Holmes

What if Hopper and even Taranto struggle to match the youngsters??

I can see Short, Baker, Graham and others like Ross and even Banks struggling to get a opportunity. Looks like we are big chances to take out the reserves

It is almost like a slap in the face of our development area. It reminds me of when apparently Dimma was looking at letting go Rance. Not a good sign for me. I can understand getting one, but two has ripple effects. I would be surprised if B Gale was not a little concerned about the size of the play

short got moved to the centre to try cover our glaring holes, did well but obviously not his natural role.

i still rate him higher than baker off half back, the latter had a mare last third of the year.

in my top 7 best nearly every week, had a better year than grimes for example.

love the bloke.

with tarantino and the locust in the middle, he will go back and it will be up to baker to deal with the added attention his breakout year has brung if he wants to squeeze short out.

love bakes too.

dunno why short gets close to whipping boy status, he's a 100% team player who works his arse off.

It has been more than two years when we won a premiership. When we won Dusty was firing.

Now, Dusty is older, he can come back but the past ways are not necessarily doable. We might have to win a different way.

It is far too easy to say put in Taranto and Hopper and say bingo we now win. You are correct GWS have not been outstanding in recent years.

Our defence is worse, Rance is not there, Houli is gone, our players are older but change is not needed?

Furthermore, what are our youngsters and others supposed to do if Hopper and others take away their opportunity??

Was the Swans trading for players when developing their academy players?? As I recall they where actually losing players rather than adding players from elsewhere. Geelong did not spend a lot getting Stengle, Henry and Holmes

What if Hopper and even Taranto struggle to match the youngsters??

I can see Short, Baker, Graham and others like Ross and even Banks struggling to get a opportunity. Looks like we are big chances to take out the reserves

It is almost like a slap in the face of our development area. It reminds me of when apparently Dimma was looking at letting go Rance. Not a good sign for me. I can understand getting one, but two has ripple effects. I would be surprised if B Gale was not a little concerned about the size of the play

It's reckless. Agree, 1 would be the wise move. Our backline is woeful, defensively. That final play has underlined it. There is a complete lack of leadership back there. We missed Houli so much I thought, even Astbury would have definitely had a fist on that ball in 2021.

Our backline looks nothing like a premiership one at the moment. It looks like something the Bulldogs would spew out on one of their off years.
I think Balta has surely shown he is a backman, but I also don;t see him being our backline general anytime soon. He had a concerning amount of brain farts this season. Thought Vloss dropped off & didn't step up in the leadership back their as much as i was suspecting. Broad started off great, but really declined & Grimes was far too often clumsy with both sides of his game. Tarrant had moments, but often looked very slow & had some moments where i am reminded he spent his career at North & would have rarely been in big moments/crowds like this. As the season went on, the concerns on Gibcus grew also.

It's reckless. Agree, 1 would be the wise move. Our backline is woeful, defensively. That final play has underlined it. There is a complete lack of leadership back there. We missed Houli so much I thought, even Astbury would have definitely had a fist on that ball in 2021.

Our backline looks nothing like a premiership one at the moment. It looks like something the Bulldogs would spew out on one of their off years.
I think Balta has surely shown he is a backman, but I also don;t see him being our backline general anytime soon. He had a concerning amount of brain farts this season. Thought Vloss dropped off & didn't step up in the leadership back their as much as i was suspecting. Broad started off great, but really declined & Grimes was far too often clumsy with both sides of his game. Tarrant had moments, but often looked very slow & had some moments where i am reminded he spent his career at North & would have rarely been in big moments/crowds like this. As the season went on, the concerns on Gibcus grew also.

There was a lack of leadership at the final line. Where was the talk? If it was not a final one would think they tanked it.

It was a real ducks and drakes season. Really amounted to ending up in no mans land. Apart from developing our youngsters we did not do a lot. We develop our youngsters and now chase Taranto and Hopper? Does not make a lot of sense.

Who is our backline coach anyway? Just have a look at the website, we have none, so is that on Dimma?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will just leave this here for you guys to drool

Full Tissue Box compulsory

View attachment 1502249
And some don't want The gws boys, fmd
These 2 are are a god send, been screaming for
A ready made mid and now real possibility
2 land in our lap , very rare to get a opportunity
To sort your midfield issues in the 1 hit
I'm doing cartwheels.

And some don't want The gws boys, fmd
These 2 are are a god send, been screaming for
A ready made mid and now real possibility
2 land in our lap , very rare to get a opportunity
To sort your midfield issues in the 1 hit
I'm doing cartwheels.
What gets me is if these 2 boys were in this years draft ( Totally untried and unknown )
Just about all these people would be wanting us to sell all our picks for pick #2 + #7 to select them

Sure we will get the pushback about them being younger but if you factor in that new kids usually take 3 years to get to top level or sometimes 4/5 years we are getting guaranteed 6/7 years from top end talent

But what these 2 provide that is never taken into consideration is how much better it makes our remaining mids become by taking the pressure away . Bolton , Sonsie , Cotchin , Dusty , Graham would be able to play their games freely and Short , Macca , Pickett will play their roles knowing we have 2 beasts winning the ball and can play more attacking game style.

We have been getting killed at stoppages and center clearances and allowing our defenders to be under pressure way too much.

So TT been great so unlikely to see a massive increase and hoppers been injured . Injuries don’t get less as they get older . So their actual output is likely to decline by the time they are 3-4 years into their new contract .
So why have GWS been s**t in the midfield with such midfield guns ?
Ffs. Same shit you dribbled about Prestia.

Go sit in the naughty corner, you've learned nothing.

Last edited:
You didn't understand what i was talking about, did you sweet pea? you have no idea who Kane Johnson is

Mulling it over i think getting them both is ridiculous. I would just secure 1 with Hopper my preference, & still retain a good portion of our 2022-23 draft hand. When we got Presita, Caddy & Toby,,we only stuffed up our draft hand for 1 year as we shipped off Deledio for a 1st & 3rd rounder. Toby only cost us a 3rd rounder, & Caddy was a 2nd. So basically the cost/risk involved in what we are doing this year, trading all present & future 1st & 2nd round picks, is not even close to being comparable in trades. We will not have many picks above 40 for 2 years

Going after both is crazy, especially since they are both at the 1 club. Is a pretty arrogant move to GWS too - seems unnecessary
There's a massive difference between the 2002 and 2022 versions of the Richmond Football Club. One was a club that was in debt and massively under resourced and one that had no stability or direction off field. We could of added Carey, Voss, hird and.buckley and still wouldn't of had any success. The other has just come off 3 flags in 5 years and season where it made the finals and blooded a lot of talented kids. Once prestia went down we were smashed. Our midfield is a massive weakness and needs reinforcing. We drafted 5 quality kids last year to with the quality youth we have. The 2 guys are 24 and 25. If they cost a lot of picks the club will be smart and get extra in the year after

I wouldnt mind paying some of Castagna , Aarts , Soldo , RCD Salary if we could save pick #19 from being included if they are happy to take 1 of these players with Salary paid
In what world are any of these guys worth the equivalent of pick 19, even if we pay one of their low poultry celeries (which would be a total beta move)

Last edited:
Miller is a suitable 2nd back/ swing man

Doubt Biggie gets another contract

Balta is the key cog that our entire backline will be built around over the next 5 years
Biggie is a rookie, so a good chance he is offered another year. Always was going to be a project player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back