Mega Thread Trade/Free Agency Open Discussion - RFC Forum

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we got a trade update after the hustle and bustle of day 1, but surely RFC_Official we could get one tomorrow about where we are at with Yarran and anything else we're possibly involved with.

Trade period is stupidly bloody long!

By not having anything of significance done yet.

The Yarran deal should have been completed by mid last-week, and he should have his locker organized at Punt Road by now, and we should be trying to organize a 3rd or even 4th trade at this point.

Blair and co. have had months, if not years, to get things in place for improvement of the list, and so far, they have organized one trade for a relatively unproven kid.

I'm not having a go at Townsend, in-fact I'm happy with the trade and I do think he can add value to our team at a very low cost. But one trade for a relative unknown, and absolutely no statements or updates regarding Yarran, with 3 days left of Trade week, is a pretty useless effort.

The first time Geelong miss the finals for 7 or 8 years, and they have landed:

Patrick Dangerfield
Scott Selwood
Lachie Hendersen
Zac Smith

And they did all of that in less than a week.

Yep a club in its death throws.

Pat Dangerfield - superstar - will see out his days carrying geelongs ageing list and worrying more about whats for dinner down at moggs creek
Scott Selwood - has not been right since he did his ankle the first time - has just had it operated on for the third time.
Lachie Hendersen - wasn't able to carry carltons backline or forward line - will have to carry geelongs slow ageing backline
Zac Smith - talented but soft - typical soccer player

the cats were great because they built through the draft and they were committed to that process. now they are letting joel selwood and brad scott drive the club for short term success. they need a lot to go right next year for it to pay off while they still have their ageing heroes and then after that its a long road

By not having anything of significance done yet.

The Yarran deal should have been completed by mid last-week, and he should have his locker organized at Punt Road by now, and we should be trying to organize a 3rd or even 4th trade at this point.

Blair and co. have had months, if not years, to get things in place for improvement of the list, and so far, they have organized one trade for a relatively unproven kid.

I'm not having a go at Townsend, in-fact I'm happy with the trade and I do think he can add value to our team at a very low cost. But one trade for a relative unknown, and absolutely no statements or updates regarding Yarran, with 3 days left of Trade week, is a pretty useless effort.

The first time Geelong miss the finals for 7 or 8 years, and they have landed:

Patrick Dangerfield
Scott Selwood
Lachie Hendersen
Zac Smith

And they did all of that in less than a week.

puffer1.jpg

Pat Dangerfield - superstar - will see out his days carrying geelongs ageing list and worrying more about whats for dinner down at moggs creek
Scott Selwood - has not been right since he did his ankle the first time - has just had it operated on for the third time.
Lachie Hendersen - wasn't able to carry carltons backline or forward line - will have to carry geelongs slow ageing backline

the cats were great because they built through the draft and they were committed to that process. now they are letting joel selwood and brad scott drive the club for short term success. they need a lot to go right next year for it to pay off while they still have their ageing heroes and then after that its a long road
Who's going to carry our weak minded group?

get crowley for free, i reckon hes got that hard edge and no nonsense fitness approachhe could teach our guys, plus i reckon hes reckon to stick up it up to everyone next year. nothing really to lose, be a good training partner at a minimum

even if he only played one game next year, id be sending him straight to Boomer next time we play north. he alwys kills us
Be good to have it like the country leagues. One game recruitment of Crowley to play Norf.

Don't want him really tho.

I hope we can use 12 in the draft and find a 200 game player rather than give it up for one that might play 100 or so for us and has had off field issues.
Don't disagree.
Just reckon that's the state of play though.

Like everyone else I want the Yarran deal done. In my mind getting out of this trade period with pick 12, Yarran and Treloar and significantly next years picks in tack is a great trade period. By not drafting a future pick it gives us full flexibility of 2017 picks next year which allows us to have a crack at a doozy.

The complication is Brisbane. Not sure the club could have forseen the number of players that would nominate Brisbane that Brisbane would give a second round pick for. I'm really hoping that Carlton will succumb and accept a pick and a player. A lot of people will disagree with me but i'd have the following guys on the trading table along with pick 31
- Mcbean - for me he just isn't what i'm looking for in a key position player. yes he is thin but Moore and Daniher are having a bigger impact at AFL level and they are thin as well - he just doesn't have the aggression or combination of athletic attributes to make it in our side
- McKenzie - behind vickery, griff and JR. is exciting but not sure he will ever have the tank to make it - forwards are going to have to have more aerobic power than ever with the cap change and according to reports from his draft year he just doesn't have it

Both players will provide some hope for the Blues - Mcbean has killed it at VFl and McKenzie has shown good signs as well. Mckenzie has the added benefit of being a son of a carlton player.

Like everyone else I want the Yarran deal done. In my mind getting out of this trade period with pick 12, Yarran and Treloar and significantly next years picks in tack is a great trade period. By not drafting a future pick it gives us full flexibility of 2017 picks next year which allows us to have a crack at a doozy.

The complication is Brisbane. Not sure the club could have forseen the number of players that would nominate Brisbane that Brisbane would give a second round pick for. I'm really hoping that Carlton will succumb and accept a pick and a player. A lot of people will disagree with me but i'd have the following guys on the trading table along with pick 31
- Mcbean - for me he just isn't what i'm looking for in a key position player. yes he is thin but Moore and Daniher are having a bigger impact at AFL level and they are thin as well - he just doesn't have the aggression or combination of athletic attributes to make it in our side
- McKenzie - behind vickery, griff and JR. is exciting but not sure he will ever have the tank to make it - forwards are going to have to have more aerobic power than ever with the cap change and according to reports from his draft year he just doesn't have it

Both players will provide some hope for the Blues - Mcbean has killed it at VFl and McKenzie has shown good signs as well. Mckenzie has the added benefit of being a son of a carlton player.

lol

I know we got a trade update after the hustle and bustle of day 1, but surely RFC_Official we could get one tomorrow about where we are at with Yarran and anything else we're possibly involved with.

Not sure if rfcofficial is around anymore though.

You're right. A lot of people will disagree with you.

We have no ruckman but we dont give gc something better than 49 for smith? Awesome effort. Can vfl top up players play afl?
Or get luenburger for free? Our rucks stocks are a bloody joke
Hate to break it to you bro but Leuey signed at Essendon last week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong benefitted from the old father-son rules enormously...

I struggle to find legitimate successful teams in recent history as they all have some sort of side deal or rule that has favoured them heavily.

Unlike Richmond who have missed out on early priority picks due to rule changes, didn't get FA compo because we got a Free Agent despite most other clubs doing the same, missing out due to compromised drafts when we should have had high picks, I'm sure there are many others...

If we win a flag in the near future it will be well and truly deserved!

So you are satisfied they tried but could not get anything done.?
I am sure they are trying but I can't see any results so sorry I don't think they are doing everything to get what they want.

In the EF, the boys tried and failed again. ah well we should be happy that they at least tried.? get real dude, There are no points for trying..!
Imo when the club say they will try to improve the list, it isn't predicated on them guaranteeing it is going to happen. Yes disappointed nothing has happen of note, but I treat that statement as no certainty, as life is.

Geelong benefitted from the old father-son rules enormously...

I struggle to find legitimate successful teams in recent history as they all have some sort of side deal or rule that has favoured them heavily.

Unlike Richmond who have missed out on early priority picks due to rule changes, didn't get FA compo because we got a Free Agent despite most other clubs doing the same, missing out due to compromised drafts when we should have had high picks, I'm sure there are many others...

If we win a flag in the near future it will be well and truly deserved!

Yep AFL would have to be close to the most compromised sport in the world when you look at how much they interfere with everything

Typical mistake. Club champions should be retained as long as possible to help nurture the next batch. Melbourne got rid of a shit load of senior players and thought they would build a list just with youngsters, look how that turned out. Geelong very fortunate to still have a few guns or they would be on the way to the cellars for a long time.
I can't really remember the cats being down the bottom since I've been following the game... They just don't bottom out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back