Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats dogshit though. Doesn't have to be 24 alone but for a small upgrade is dogshit
Not saying that's where it necessarily ends up, but I can see North offering that at least as a starting point and the negotiations going from there. And still every chance he stays a Dog, of course.

Pardon the intrusion. Just trying to figure out what the Daniel trade might look like.
Looking at your current draft hand, could you guys see pick 25 for Daniel + 48 being around the mark?

I guess that would effectively be Daniel and Parker for a second rounder for us.

I'd suspect that's about what it'll be in the end.

Hilarious.

Three things are certainties in life. Death, Taxes and football autobiographies ending their retail life in a bargain bin before being pulped and recycled.

The publisher/player partnership goes like this.

A publisher with experience in selling this kind of 'auto' biography, has a good understanding of the numbers required for such a venture to turn a profit. The publisher approaches a high profile players management team with an offer and an agreed upon advance. The player of course agrees and is informed that all he needs to do is sit down for a few hours of interviews with a ghostwriter. The ghost then puts on his or her boxing gloves and starts banging away on their computer until they arrive at a somewhat cohesive narrative. Given the target demographic it doesn't need to be Tolstoy.

The player banks his advance of a few grand and tries not to think about it again. The publisher then plays the usual numbers game in the hope that it hits big on release so as to cover the costs of the previous failures. The player never goes near a bookshop, K-Mart or local Op-shop in case they see indignity of their incredible life story marked down to $2.50. From its previous low of $5.00

Yes. And I think you can still trade picks only, once the player trade period ends, all the way up to the draft itself?
You can trade pick up to and during the draft. Even trade the pick you're currently sitting on. It's why clubs often bid on multiple club tied players back to back so they get an extra 5 minutes on the clock each time yo negotiate trades.

I'd jump at that deal.

On the Macrae stuff if we move on Daniel then there's no salary cap pressure and even if he plays VFL all year his trade value isn't going to be lower than the future 3rd/4th picks we are already getting offered. Keep him as valuable depth
If Macrae played VFL all year his trade value would absolutely be lowered. As in no team would trade for the remaining two years of his contract without it being a pick attached for a salary dump. A negative asset can become even more negative over time.

As you see by the likes of Daniel and him wanting us to be fairly compensated or he's not moving, not every player is a total campaigner.

Smith is a campaigner. A total, utter, self obsessed, narcissistic, 'look at me' campaigner. He's all about himself and Geelong will realise that very quickly. He gives zero f**** about anything else apart from his 'brand'.

The way he's conducted himself through this whole thing has been revealing and shown his true character.

I hope our club lays it all on the table about him when he's gone. No secrets kept. We owe him nothing.

Anyway...

I look forward him repeatedly zipping out the middle and scrubbing a piddly kick 20 metres up the line and turning it over.

As for next moves, I hope Sammy and the team start white anting Geelong players. Right under their noses - all year.
Geelong have not lost a player that they have wanted to keep since 2016 when Cotton On became their major sponsor. The Kelly trade was abased on compassionate grounds. Recruiting meetings are held in the Cotton On boardroom. There is a landscaping company that has the contract for Cotton On and they maintain the farms of 5 or so Cats players for free which is worth $150/200k per year. There has been several instances of cats players selling their houses for a million over reserve to people with links to Geelong and Cotton On. Add to that the well known property deals offered to players just before favourable rezoning is announced….
It will come out eventually but it will take a journo with some investigating skills and a determination to expose this cheating bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you still happy with it if that is Bailey Sniff + Caleb + 35 for Geelong's two first rounders?

I'd argue that is a pretty ordinary deal

I’ve always been of the opinion that one of Caleb and Macrae have to go. Love them to bits, but it’s time to move onto quick, outside mids who can be damaging on the outside and be able to cover the ground. If we can nab two firsts, and get one of those guys off our books, I’ll be somewhat happy.

I’m fine with future garbage pick for Macrae. The salary relief is beneficial and we flat out need to move on from both he and Caleb. Our list is rapidly approach a cliff with ground ball players age wise and opening up salary is a quick way for us to address that.

Love both those boys but we do just need to move in another direction

I’d be low key sad if we do lose Caleb + Macrae this off-season, feel it’s only ok to lose 1 of them at the moment.

Totally different players, but either would still have a lot to offer imho, thought I think Caleb would still fit it better as we look like we want to fast track our midfield development.

Then again, it might also be sentimental with possibly another 2 from 2016 gone

I'm sure he'll be a good footballer, I'm just inclined to prefer two shots at a first round talent rather than one.
It’s a shame we didn’t know how valuable pick 13 would be this year but earlier on the draft was perceived to be moderately average by most.

I’d much rather have a crack with pick 6 in most drafts than 2 cracks with pick 15 and 18. Sanders needed some development time but his top age year was excellent and I’m sure he’ll be a very good player. Let’s just give him time to show what he can do.

I’ve always been of the opinion that one of Caleb and Macrae have to go. Love them to bits, but it’s time to move onto quick, outside mids who can be damaging on the outside and be able to cover the ground. If we can nab two firsts, and get one of those guys off our books, I’ll be somewhat happy.
Yeah but you're also giving up 35 in that.

That makes it awful

I’m fine with future garbage pick for Macrae. The salary relief is beneficial and we flat out need to move on from both he and Caleb. Our list is rapidly approach a cliff with ground ball players age wise and opening up salary is a quick way for us to address that.

Love both those boys but we do just need to move in another direction
Whats the point in opening up salary if you can't attract anyone to use it on.

If we use it all on our key positions players then that isn't really helping

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back