Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby shouldn't be suspended. We need to ensure that GWS has every chance to succeed. For the sake of football, it's in the AFL's best interest to let this slide. We need the AFL teams in the East/North-East to be strong.

If Barry Hall was cleared to played in the 2005 GF, I don't see why we shouldn't look the other way here too.

I said he bumped his shoulder lightly as he walk past him, and then reinforced that in my next post saying that the bump wasn't forceful and didn't cause him to lose his balance or stumble. What's wrong with that description?
It’s incorrect. Look at the video.

So what should the Giants do to leave Toby Greene available to play? I don’t think pleading not guilty is going to work, so obviously a guilty plea is required firstly. Then what do they suggest… a $10,000 fine? $20,000? A monetary fine and a suspended sentence… three games? Five games?

He's pleaded not guilty
300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cost of this to the AFL GWS must be huge. If he get's off, it's probably at least $20k in QC and other staff time. If he doesn't get off, he could be the key to moving to the next week and potentially (but less plausible) the Grand Final. You could be looking at a significant six figure sum.

Why was there not a chaperone for Greene at breaks? Why did not one of his team step in? The coaching team have a lot to answer here as well

As he's pleaded 'not guilty', it's likely he and his team know that Matt Stevic's evidence will be favourable for Greene. It all depends now on what Stevic says. Don't be surprised if the final result is now just a fine.

I don't think Stevic going easy on Toby is going to make any difference. This case has caused so much noise about the grassroots game and umpire safety; he's going to get suspended and rightly so.

Stevic’s testimony: “Greene made some minor contact to me...I didn’t feel threatened at the time.”

makes sense that the umpires are more threaten by a hand slap (Hawkins) than a shoulder bump ( the umpire at the time said he felt threaten by Hawkins slapping his hand away$.

what a joke

I don't think Stevic going easy on Toby is going to make any difference. This case has caused so much noise about the grassroots game and umpire safety; he's going to get suspended and rightly so.

I know a lot of people from different leagues that already found it hard enough to get enough umpire numbers this year without the usual nuffies in the stands or players.

As he's pleaded 'not guilty', it's likely he and his team know that Matt Stevic's evidence will be favourable for Greene. It all depends now on what Stevic says. Don't be surprised if the final result is now just a fine.

I don’t think it matters what he says.

They are admitting he made contact with him but are arguing his intent in making contact.

Stevic can not make any assumptions on what Greenes intent was only if contact was made or not.

Stevic’s testimony: “Greene made some minor contact to me...I didn’t feel threatened at the time.”

makes sense that the umpires are more threaten by a hand slap (Hawkins) than a shoulder bump ( the umpire at the time said he felt threaten by Hawkins slapping his hand away$.

what a joke
Wasn't it Dean Margetts that the Hawkins action was on?

Are the umpires briefed on what should and should not threaten them? Seems a strange take.

Stevic can not make any assumptions on what Greenes intent was only if contact was made or not.

But a gaggle of internet sleuths with a 10 second video can?

Wasn't it Dean Margetts that the Hawkins action was on?

Are the umpires briefed on what should and should not threaten them? Seems a strange take.
Very strange take that a more forceful action is not more threating than a lessen one

I can’t get over Stevic doing everything he can to help Toby

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

Back