Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Very strange take that a more forceful action is not more threating than a lessen one

I can’t get over Stevic doing everything he can to help Toby
No, I think you've misunderstood. Suggesting that Stevic should feel threatened by something because Margetts felt threatened by something was the strange take.

I can't cop Stevic helping him either but if he's asked if he felt threatened and he genuinely wasn't, are we expecting him to lie?

Should be just a fine, but it is Toby Greene so he’ll get the maximum penalty. Stevic is being a good bloke and not making up complete BS, that’s what’s happening.

Stevic recalls having a jovial conversation with Greene an hour and a half before the game, talking about accomodation and the new 'stand' rule.

^^^^^

What the actual f? Stevic is trying to get Greene off.

If Greene doesnt get the book thrown at him watch umpire contact start to filter into our game at all levels..... he cant actually get off can he?

OPENING ARGUMENTS BEGIN
9.26am:
We are just establishing exactly what charge Greene can be judged on this morning. Ben Ihle QC is arguing that if Greene is not found guilty of 'intentional' contact with an umpire, he cannot be found guilty of intentional contact with an umpire that is 'unreasonable or unnecessary'. The Tribunal's chairman, Ross Howie, ultimately rules against this. The jury will consider whether Greene's actions were aggressive, forceful, demonstrative or disrespectful. If they rule he is not guilty of any of these 'four adjectives', they can consider whether his actions were 'unreasonable or unnecessary'.

GREENE'S COMMENTS REVEALED
9.28am:
We are hearing audio from Matt Stevic's umpire mic during the incident. Greene, when approaching Stevic, says: "He took a f***ing dive."

STEVIC'S THOUGHTS
9.30am:
Umpire Matt Stevic sent an email after the match that said: "I was aware he made some minor contact with me … I considered the contact minor and didn't feel threatened at the time." He is now being called to provide evidence.

UMPIRE STEVIC GIVES EVIDENCE
9.40am:
Umpire Stevic has been called to provide evidence. He says: "As Toby got closer, he challenged me on a particular decision and said the player had 'f***ing dived'. I felt some minor contact. From what I recall on the day, Toby accepted that and we moved on from there. In regards to making match-day reports for player contact with an umpire, we need to be 100 per cent sure that the contact with unreasonable, unnecessary or intentional. At the time, I wasn't 100 per cent sure if there were other factors that may have contributed. Seeing the vision post-game, it made clear to me that I was stationary. I did not step into Toby or cause the contact."

Different umpires, different players, different contact, different setting.

Yes -a little like interpretation of other rules, we can all see them differently. I think from Stevic's testimony, at least Greene can say he's getting a fair hearing.

The only question for me is that despite how Stevic felt (i.e. not threatened), will the AFL make an example so as to act as a deterrent right through football ranks?

What the actual f? Stevic is trying to get Greene off.
Stevic isn’t going to get him off, there’s evidence of Greene making contact with him. Stevic is being realistic about the situation, no one is going to feel threatened by an AFL player brushing past them.

This is ridiculous. 'Intent', 'Not guilty', 'threatened' etc, etc. - it's the action that has to be held to account, not what someone thinks Greene 'meant to do' etc. Why is Stevic even giving evidence? What can he possibly say that changes the action that took place?
This definitely has a whiff of Greene getting off, which would be extraordinary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the transcript of them cross-examining Stevic I reckon he'll get off. He's playing it down, minor contact, didn't seem intentional, etc.

Whateley says up to 8 weeks "if the Giants try to get smart". Knob. Getting tired of him on his high horse wanting to hang players. That incident was no way comparable to Diesel's 9 weeks when he pushed an umpire away forcefully.

Whatley, pr!ck and one of Geelong's media men.
Many teams have advantages and this is definitely one of Geelong's - a number of media/commentator types.
By setting the outrage media narrative of 8 weeks Whately is trying to make sure he at least is out for 1, so he misses the scrap against Geelong.

Whatley has form using his national media platform to push a Geelong agenda from time to time - and I'm pretty sure I'm hardly alone in noticing.

Many teams have advantages and this is definitely one of Geelong's - a number of media/commentator types.
By setting the outrage media narrative of 8 weeks Whately is trying to make sure he at least is out for 1, so he misses the scrap against Geelong.

Whatley has form using his national media platform to push a Geelong agenda from time to time - and I'm pretty sure I'm hardly alone in noticing.
The sad thing is , I think you actually believe what you wrote.

Can people remind me why they hate Goodes around here?
Goodes was the dirtiest player ever and if you’re a dirty player, you get booed. All dirty players get booed. Especially the brown ones, but that’s just a coincidence.

He walked into and made contact with an umpire. You can’t do it, what Whately - who is 100 per cent correct in what he says - has nothing to do with it.

He walked into and made contact with an umpire. You can’t do it, what Whately - who is 100 per cent correct in what he says - has nothing to do with it.

It kinda is on topic though - I'm not the first person to discuss media narrative surrounding Tribunal/MRP referrals and results. Sorry if it's your guy. The commentator box is full of knobs, it's the nature of what our semi-profeasional league as allowed to permeate.

Incidently, how many weeks was Whatley callign for when Hawkins slapped an Umps hand? Just curious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

Back