Analysis The loss of Nathan Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 7, 2011
Right Behind You
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Can GAGF
I feel that losing Nathan Murphy is what is really hurting Collingwood at the moment. His style of play was pivotal last year in freeing up Darcy Moore, now without him Darcy is all at sea. I still think we will make the 8, but I can't see us winning it this year. We really need another Nathan Murphy type.

It sure has hurt us immensely and I don’t think anyone really questions that. Our backline doesn’t look to be what it was and it was probably the cornerstone of our success.

However, it’s done now and we need to move on.

We lost last night largely due to our lack of pressure and clunky lacklustre ball movement. At present, we really need to sort that out or else even a backline with Murphy would be struggling with the amount and the way the ball is flying in.

Long term, a lockdown key back will obviously need to be a list priority.

I feel that losing Nathan Murphy is what is really hurting Collingwood at the moment. His style of play was pivotal last year in freeing up Darcy Moore, now without him Darcy is all at sea. I still think we will make the 8, but I can't see us winning it this year. We really need another Nathan Murphy type.
Definitely a significant loss but not the only reason we are struggling.
  • terrible fixture with zero round
  • shocking injury run
  • Opposition finding a way to counter our game plan
  • lack of hunger and loss of form from key players

A replacement will be found for Murphy. He was a committed and brave player, but not a champion.

• shocking injury run

A replacement will be found for Murphy. He was a committed and brave player, but not a champion.
Yeah there are heaps of factors involved not just Murphy even though he really is a loss.

However the defence which is similar to what we have now was all right in the years before he started becoming a fixture. Some of the critics today said that no defence could defend the way the ball comes in and it has been a little unstable with people rotating in and out of the team etc.

A massive loss for us.

He and Moore were like, well, Lever and May. The backbone of our defence. The glue that held it together. I’m running out of metaphors, but a terrible, ongoing loss. We don’t have a current replacement.

• shocking injury run

Murphy was a lot better than committed and brave
He was a very good footballer
Key position defenders are like Hens teeth

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The loss of Nathan Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back