Strategy The case for a third tall forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Reid had 6 touches, 3 marks and 0.0 tonight.

Will he be dropped? No, because he takes heat off Franklin and Tippett.

Could Mason Shaw have done Sam Reid's job or better and helped Schulz or Hoff get that 1 or 2% extra distance off the chain? We'll never know.

Could Mason Shaw have done Sam Reid's job or better and helped Schulz or Hoff get that 1 or 2% extra distance off the chain? We'll never know.
Tbh I don't think much at all of Sam Reid & don't see why a few here rate him, it's probably due to our lack of tall depth a decoy like him looks a more attractive option than he really is but I'd rather poach a Griffiths or Jaksch in the chance they can become a decent forward.

His career stat averages mirror what Butchers would be if he didn't miss 3 years of footy through injury, he got destroyed tonight by O'Shea & only gets games because he's tall, fit & is on $500k a season for the next few years, wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the first they look to trade out for salary cap relief.

Agree with your main point though it's a shame that it's unlikely we'll see Shaw debut this year, I feel for Schulz the most in all this the way it's going even if we do make the 8 he's going to be completely knackered.

On the strength of last night's performance we have a one tall forward line. If Schultz is covered we have no one to take a mark. Before we worry about a third tall we ought to get a second tall up forward.

Ready or not I think there may be a case for giving Mason Shaw a small taste of it this year as our chances of making the GF are now pretty well cooked and we may as well invest a bit in the future. Put a 198 cm body in our forward line and someone has to look after him. At the moment all the opposition has to do is cover Schultz. I am not suggesting that Shaw play every minute of the last three games but we have a few mid sized players in average form who are not contributing so what is to lose by dropping one of them and giving Shaw a run?

On the strength of last night's performance we have a one tall forward line. If Schultz is covered we have no one to take a mark. Before we worry about a third tall we ought to get a second tall up forward.

Ready or not I think there may be a case for giving Mason Shaw a small taste of it this year as our chances of making the GF are now pretty well cooked and we may as well invest a bit in the future. Put a 198 cm body in our forward line and someone has to look after him. At the moment all the opposition has to do is cover Schultz. I am not suggesting that Shaw play every minute of the last three games but we have a few mid sized players in average form who are not contributing so what is to lose by dropping one of them and giving Shaw a run?
And Schultz has two swans sitting on him the whole game. I think your suggestions make sense. Our coaching panel are looking more at run, but since that is really working well (sarcasm intended), why not try something different, like a second tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we had our Sam Reid last night in Trengove. Now we just need to cear 2.5 mill of cap space for the Franklin and Tippett.

That 0 man forward line did wonders for us last night.
This thread has degenerated from a case for a third forward to "the case for a second foward" to now "the case for at least one tall forward".

Its getting very close to "the case for any forward, tall or otherwise". :eek:

Well we had our Sam Reid last night in Trengove. Now we just need to cear 2.5 mill of cap space for the Franklin and Tippett.
And it worked for the first quarter or so he was in that role. Except as noted it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Paint me not surprised that we went from level pegging the Swans to behind fairly quickly when reverted to Trengove down back and our usual 1 and a bit tall forward line.

If we won't play Butcher or Shaw on last night's evidence we'd still look a lot better with one of Trengove or Clurey as a tall forward, even if it is just to straighten us up, give a target up forward for the crumbers (especially if Neade plays, since he's the only real crumber we play) and stop Schulz being double or triple teamed.

since they reackon Jeremy Cameron could get traded would you offer up Carlile and our first pick to get him. They are in desperate need for a fullback and everyone knows that its much easier to get a good defender that it is a good forward. If you looked at the big picture i would say yes. I think a team with Cameron in it as opposed to Carlile is much better, food for thought

since they reackon Jeremy Cameron could get traded would you offer up Carlile and our first pick to get him. They are in desperate need for a fullback and everyone knows that its much easier to get a good defender that it is a good forward. If you looked at the big picture i would say yes. I think a team with Cameron in it as opposed to Carlile is much better, food for thought
I floated a similar trade when the Cameron rumours first surfaced Bobby is the player that they'd want the most because they already needed an experienced KPD & now they'll be without Mohr for a year who did his knee.

We'd probably need to add in another high draft pick player to get it done with our first rounder Moore, Pittard etc it's unfortunate that Butcher isn't even tradeable & won't net us anything in return so Bob, pick 12-14 & another player would get it done.

First of all we need Jezza to commit to us by offering him a Buddy type deal which for his age would be well worth it then we can worry about what we need to give up, Cameron is the player we need to go from a young 4th-6th team to a flag contender.

Hombsch can play fullback, Jacko CHB & Clurey can develop into Bobby's position, IMO we can cover losing Carlile but it'll be hard to get anyone on our list to jump on the GWS grenade unless they offer them a big pay rise.

I'd do that. Carlile is replaceable IMO.

Definitely. Bobby has turned around from overweight to where if he hadn't been out for a few weeks would have likely been an AA defender. And you need to offer quality to get quality. None of the Crows 3 spuds and a 3rd round pick for Cameron jobs please.

If we traded Bobby and our first round pick for Cameron it'd leave Trengove, Clurey and Hombsch as our tall backs. We'd need to then draft a KPD or trade for a lesser one.

The loss would be more than outweighed by the gains. Last night yet again showed that the lack of a third (second) tall forward continues to kill us. Pay the price, get it done.

i reackon they would struggle to get a better deal than that anywhere else, they dont really need midfielders or forwards but they do need a fullback
Same here moreso because our first rounder is now looking like 11-14 than 15-17 as it looked like 2 months ago.

Chris Judd the best player in the comp at the time with pick 48 went for an unknown quality KPF, pick 3 & 20. West Coast didn't have the luxury midfield depth the Giants have with forwards so surely Bob, early teens pick & maybe a second rounder as well (trade in?) could land a player of Cameron's calibre.

GWS have done us favours in the past with Hombsch/Neade, Wingard & Wines surely they could do us one more by trading us Cameron & maybe even one of their other talls not getting a game.

Last edited:
I can't be the only one that thought Sydney's structure did nothing tonight.

Their goals came from players waiting for our turnovers and exploit of our forward running or bombs from the 50.
That is only cause our backs smashed them in one on one contests, how many favourable or at least even contests did we generate the other way?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Shaw, Harvey and butcher (albeit absent this week)? I thought they were all coming along nicely?

Only seen Shaw and Harvey a few times and both show promise... but I don't reckon either is ready yet.

In the games I've seen, Shaw has played more like a flanker than a tall. Hasn't presented himself or provided that tall option we're crying out for. Had a very dirty day yesterday. Didn't get near it.

Harvey spent a fair bit of time in the ruck yesterday. But he's got a bit of go about him.

I was stunned to see the Magpies forward 50 empty for large portions of the game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy The case for a third tall forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back