Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like no two generations of players are ever going to be the same. Demographics change, society changes etc.

But then I also think... well isn't that the point of the Bloods culture? Isn't that supposed to be the one constant, that every player who walks through the door adheres to?

There was always probably a mythological element to the Bloods culture that makes it seem more grandiose and all-encompassing than it actually is, but I still feel like too many at our club currently don't truly "get it."
I reckon it died when the wonderful JPK retired.

I reckon it died when the wonderful JPK retired.
Either that, or when we signed Buddy.

Not saying it's Buddy's fault, but I think that recruitment definitely represented a pivot towards something else - one superstar making so much money they push some lesser lights out; relying on an individual talent to win games rather than team efforts. Neither scream 'Bloods ethos' to me.

Either that, or when we signed Buddy.

Not saying it's Buddy's fault, but I think that recruitment definitely represented a pivot towards something else - one superstar making so much money they push some lesser lights out; relying on an individual talent to win games rather than team efforts. Neither scream 'Bloods ethos' to me.
Personally, I think the Buddy signing saw the end of the "Bloods era".

It ushered in somewhat of a return to the Capper years, minus the pink helicopters.

Reality is always somewhere in the middle in terms of what should be said.

But yeah to suggest the psychologist is in the wrong when she was an asset a few days ago is a bit much . Not like we have a witch doctor doing a dance
Correct , this is absolute shit raking looking for any excuse .

Have largely stayed off here as i find the words to say what i want to say.

I haven't moved on yet. And don't think I can until the club come out and give some kind of explanation. Errol in the rooms saying "we couldn't have had better preparation" or Chad saying "footy gods weren't smiling down at us" isn't good enough. 4 grand final losses in a row, 3 of those embarassing.

It has to be psychological, mental. Which I'm sure has been discussed on here. But then we have worked with Emma Murray all year, who is apparently the best in the business at mind set. So.

Where else did it go wrong?

Is it how our 3 talls never really worked all year, and how our goal kicking mids masked them really well?
Is it how we had so many wins coming from big margins behind? And how that wasn't sustainable all the way till the end?
Was it Horse's lack of plan b, as we've largely stuck to the same game plan all year?

I don't have the answers for those. That's all internal.

Do we need a circuit breaker? I think so. I don't think we can go into 2025, a finals series or god help us, a grand final, with either the same coach or a very similar playing list. Something needs to change.

I can't move on yet.
The 75k members, the 500k through the gates, and the millions of fans, all deserve a public apology, and some kind of explanation as to what went wrong.

I haven't moved on yet. And don't think I can until the club come out and give some kind of explanation. Errol in the rooms saying "we couldn't have had better preparation" or Chad saying "footy gods weren't smiling down at us" isn't good enough. 4 grand final losses in a row, 3 of those embarassing.

It has to be psychological, mental. Which I'm sure has been discussed on here. But then we have worked with Emma Murray all year, who is apparently the best in the business at mind set. So.

Is it how our 3 talls never really worked all year, and how our goal kicking mids masked them really well?
Is it how we had so many wins coming from big margins behind? And how that wasn't sustainable all the way till the end?
Was it Horse's lack of plan b, as we've largely stuck to the same game plan all year?

Do we need a circuit breaker? I think so. I don't think we can go into 2025, a finals series or god help us, a grand final, with either the same coach or a very similar playing list. Something needs to change.

I can't move on yet.
The 75k members, the 500k through the gates, and the millions of fans, all deserve a public apology, and some kind of explanation as to what went wrong.

Gamestyle and team selections. Keep the ball out of our hands, take plenty of marks & you'll beat us. Death by a thousand cuts then a burst of momentum through centre clearance domination. Rinse & repeat. Lost that way all year & in all 4 of those gfs.

I can't move on yet.

With no stats to back me up (shame).

I'd say most of our scores come off turnover. This makes sense because we have Blakey, Florent and Roberts in the backline who are very good at punishing turnovers.

The lions didn't turnover the ball.

No turnovers = no score.

I don't even want to know why they kept playing zone when it was clear it wasn't working.

I'm no Brandon Jack, but you could see players guarding grass instead of an opposition player ,and you just say, man-man for the next 10 minutes.

With no stats to back me up (shame).

I'd say most of our scores come off turnover. This makes sense because we have Blakey, Florent and Roberts in the backline who are very good at punishing turnovers.

The lions didn't turnover the ball.

No turnovers = no score.

I don't even want to know why they kept playing zone when it was clear it wasn't working.

I'm no Brandon Jack, but you could see players guarding grass instead of an opposition player ,and you just say, man-man for the next 10 minutes.
A reason for zone might be to limit the defensive frailties of certain players.

Basically they started to tell me all about the real behind the scenes of last Friday/Saturday and as a Swans fan, it was hard to listen to.
We apparently complained about virtually everything, we - players and staff, were rude or simply dismissive of those trying to help them. There were apparently auskick kids somewhere near them before the cars left on the parade and most of our boys pretty much ignored them - as opposed to the Lions players, whom to a man - including coaches, hi fived, chattered, signed autographs etc etc.
They went on and on as I squirmed with discomfort on the huge difference behind the scenes between the two squads.
I find this curious (and disappointing) and wonder how it compares to 2022?

Much talk about previously being distracted by the parade etc, this time around laser focus, to the point of rudeness, on the game ahead, everything must be 'just right'.

Yet I would have thought then mixed messages about how one game doesn't define us and the premiership is just the cherry on the top.

I'm still not sure we ever addressed the on-field performance from 2022 and I fear we won't for this year either.
We keep hearing the preparation was excellent (because it was different from 2022?) and there doesn't appear to be any obvious self reflection from the players/club.

Our starts have been shockers for most of the year, 2 GFs a couple of years apart where we have been embarrassed.

Are we actually prepared to recognise those failings and then identify the issues causing them?
No club with any self respect can accept 45 tackles on GF day.

Forget the notion of 'The Bloods Culture' create your own identity and standards.

We need to get the players to watch the game, dissect their performance and provide honest and if necessary brutal feedback.
Get someone such as Maxfield in and ensure that players take responsibility, set out what they want to stand for.
And yes the coaches/footy staff need to go through a similar review.

IMO the only way forward is to examine the failings of the past, that they have been part of.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we are willing to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find this curious (and disappointing) and wonder how it compares to 2022?

Much talk about previously being distracted by the parade etc, this time around laser focus, to the point of rudeness, on the game ahead, everything must be 'just right'.

Yet I would have thought then mixed messages about how one game doesn't define us and the premiership is just the cherry on the top.

I'm still not sure we ever addressed the on-field performance from 2022 and I fear we won't for this year either.
We keep hearing the preparation was excellent (because it was different from 2022?) and there doesn't appear to be any obvious self reflection from the players/club.

Our starts have been shockers for most of the year, 2 GFs a couple of years apart where we have been embarrassed.

Are we actually prepared to recognise those failings and then identify the issues causing them?
No club with any self respect can accept 45 tackles on GF day.

Forget the notion of 'The Bloods Culture' create your own identity and standards.

We need to get the players to watch the game, dissect their performance and provide honest and if necessary brutal feedback.
Get someone such as Maxfield in and ensure that players take responsibility, set out what they want to stand for.
And yes the coaches/footy staff need to go through a similar review.

IMO the only way forward is to examine the failings of the past, that they have been part of.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we are willing to do so.
The club shit on Stewie

I noticed he didn't have a Swans scarf on when he walked out with the cup. Maybe it's just me but it gave me the impression that the bridges haven't been totally rebuilt.

Good spot, didn't notice that.

He did wear one to the announcement . Hope all is well, love Maxfield.

That's a real shame. Because he's exactly the type of person we need back at the club. No nonsense, uncompromising old school type who will say it like it is.

Maybe we should get Leigh Montagna in, he will tell us where we suck

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back