Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but we had the third-lowest pressure rating for a GF of all time.
No surprises with that

Lost in back-to-back grand finals in 1935-36 to Collingwood
Actually lost 34, 35 and 36.

Then lost one in 1945 before not playing another until 1996, and didn’t win one until 2005.

Probably not what we want to be thinking about today!

What would the review be?

'You see how every time Neale gets the ball in tight, he absorbs the pressure and does something smart with the ball? But when you get it, you panic? Do what Neale does. Okay you can go get drunk now and we will see you in 2 months.'
I think a pretty deep introspective for each player to actually see again , why would we review what Brisbane did, we need to review everything the Swans players individually did. You simply don’t put it away and write it off as a bad day. A grown ups review to give them a fair bit to think about in those two months and hopefully to inspire an absolutely no excuses pre season. Not reviewing this is acceptance of the performance…

There is no white washing this. For the fourth time, we failed abysmally (2016 included).

In his interview, Warner chimed, “… it’s not the end of the world”. Son, it is actually very, very serious.

Tens of thousands of supporters have chosen to spend their hard earned to cheer you on, to attend functions in your honour, to wear your colours, to watch/read/listen/talk about your performance. You (collectively) let them down utterly once again.

Our corporate sponsorship, the legacy and reputation of our club, the status of AFL in this rugby league state have all been utterly let down again.

We don’t want extremely well paid boys having a lark, living the dream, blah blah

We, South Melbourne/Sydney Swans once were warriors. You follow most recently Kelly, Barry, Creswell, Kirk, Maxfield, Bolton, Hannebery, Goodes, Kennedy, Grundy, Jack and a host of others who put their bodies on the line and gave their all.

There are players in this team who talk Bloods Culture but can’t describe it let alone do it. They need to go.

To identify one example, Amartey, a sweet boy, not without talent and teases with the occasional notable ‘moment’, but has had his Ben Ronke day. It’s more than time to give up hoping he’ll turn into a Blood.

All three who were interviewed after the disaster said the team was fit and ‘well prepped’. Clearly, McDonald, Heeney, Papley were not fit. And when the opposition totally outplay you, you were not well prepped.

For the life of me, I do not understand in which universe a zone defence can stop a team that plays fast, skilful movement by foot.

Similarly, I don’t understand how a team with supposedly the best midfielders in the comp (Brisbane settled that claim) so consistently underperforms in clearances.

If we’re to become a club that succeeds in battle when it matters most, we need to make changes to our list, our coaching and support staff, our training and how we play.

Not total changes but strategic changes.

Or we’ll continue to be towards the top of the losers list, propped up by the usual pathetic excuses and platitudes.

It’s not just that winning grand finals is the point of it. In grand finals, there’s no hiding who you really are.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I think a pretty deep introspective for each player to actually see again , why would we review what Brisbane did, we need to review everything the Swans players individually did. You simply don’t put it away and write it off as a bad day. A grown ups review to give them a fair bit to think about in those two months and hopefully to inspire an absolutely no excuses pre season. Not reviewing this is acceptance of the performance…
I am sure they will review the game.

I was joking about what that review would entail.

I am sure they will review the game.

I was joking about what that review would entail.

At the stage where who really cares if we "review the game"

Nothing will change. We have seen that multiple times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times is Rampe going to throw his head back in shock after losing a contest before he just straight up expects to get out-marked by Callum Ah Chee?!

I thought he really showed his limitations yesterday. He was useless.
I don't think Fox is a good forward and was surprised he started there. It made a slow forward line even slower. We had 3 talls (including Logan with ankle issues) and Parker. Then we are relying on Papley/Hayward for a bit of pace who may not be 100% themselves.

Maybe in hindsight we needed to start Cleary and Campbell in the forward line to offset our slower forwards and those with injury issues.

But I thought Fox was one of our best players when he got moved back to defence. He was one of the few players looking to run and handpass, was hard at the contest and scrambled in defence.

I don't think Fox is a good forward and was surprised he started there. It makes a slow forward line even slower. We had 3 talls (including Logan with ankle issues) and Parker. Then we are relying on Papley/Hayward for a bit of pace who may not be 100% themselves.

But I thought Fox was one of our best players when he got moved back to defence. He was one of the few players looking to run and handpass, was hard at the contest and scrambled in defence.
He's a gun in defence. Always found it odd he gets played forward.

hopefully that was Luke Parker's final game

Thought he looked stuffed but, unlike Logan, was a risk worth taking.

Unfortunately for Tom he leads with his chin and is going ridiculed by opposition clubs endlessly now unless he ends up winning one.
I think when Papley carries on after a goal. It is a not ego thing like Duursma shooting an arrow.

He is trying to spark the rest of the team and shift momentum,

Going to go one of two ways from here. If the same shit continues we'll still be a good team but this group will likely not taste the ultimate success. OR they have the maturity and burning desire to go up a level mentally and physically. With a few adjustments there is no reason why we can't dominate even more convincingly next season and put ourselves there again.

It burns because we got to the final day, but if we didn't make it to the granny we'd be less angry and see it as just another clubs year. I'm just hoping this group gets there atleast once. It took Brissy a long long time, and realistically they should've made more grannies in the years gone. We might just need to buckle up and be ready for the long road.

He's a gun in defence. Always found it odd he gets played forward.
I thought that early in the season when Fox replaced Wicks in the pressure forward role. Fox has great endurance. But he is not that quick. And does not seem to have forward instincts.

So when he replaced Mills in the GF. I thought he would start as a medium defender to free up Blakey and Rampe and be an extra defender to mark their dangerous half forwards. But surprised to see him playing forward. Otherwise just start Campbell at half forward.

I wonder if the coaching staff were worried about our forward pressure before the game. Logan was the most mobile of the talls and he had ankle issues. So we would have relied on Papley/Hayward a lot.

Going to go one of two ways from here. If the same shit continues we'll still be a good team but this group will likely not taste the ultimate success. OR they have the maturity and burning desire to go up a level mentally and physically. With a few adjustments there is no reason why we can't dominate even more convincingly next season and put ourselves there again.

It burns because we got to the final day, but if we didn't make it to the granny we'd be less angry and see it as just another clubs year. I'm just hoping this group gets there atleast once. It took Brissy a long long time, and realistically they should've made more grannies in the years gone. We might just need to buckle up and be ready for the long road.

I'd say our key forwards and defenders are a big reason we won't dominate convincingly

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back