Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Gulden counts as he's gonna be 22 in a month's time. Think it only accounted for players turning 21 or under this year.

Which of these players, who are all 21 years and under, will be the best player in five years?​

I saw on TikTok that apparently Swans games have become a hub for young, single people looking to date. Matty Johns(?) from the NRL commented that it's even become a known thing in his rugby circles.

There was also that hilarious video of that Swans fan waving her scarf around singing "GO SWANNIES" to the tune of "Horny" by Mousse T (which I can't find now) but it was SO good and I think just encapsulates the lively vibe of the Swans this year.

(I should note that I'm only seeing the SCG from the TV, as I'm a Wozzie, but the atmosphere and crowds deadset look as electric as any I've seen watching footy.)

Having attended Swans games at the SCG for 10 years now, I would say there has been an increase in young, attractive people in attendance at the games over that time period. Totally anecdotal of course, but I've definitely noticed this on my walk from Gate E to the Bill O'Reilly of late.

So if you're in your 20s and single, potentially a better avenue for love than Hinge.

Chad might take it you know. He'll have no need for premierships because he'd have already won two by then. So he might as well go for the cash.

Rampe will probably retire by 2026 so hopefully we can use that extra money to tempt chad to stay for a few more years in a winning team.

Notice the difference in subtle reporting.

“I mean, how do the Swans keep all their superstar midfielders, all their players - Blakey, Mills, Heeney, Gulden and Warner, who’s not far off the No.1 player in the game right now.

How do other clubs keep all their players?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What sort of substance would you like? Journos aren't going to reveal their sources on something like this.

I’d prefer we don’t lose our collective shit at hyperbolic headlines but that’s me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never said anyone was, I said I’d prefer we don’t. A few women’s day readers around here I guess. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only overreaction seems to be from you.

I hear you RD, I'm just saying what I think their criteria is.
Of course you're probably right Mighty Caeser, but I also think they're a teeny bit too keen to leave him off. It's pretty clear to anyone he's a special talent. Shooting goals off his hip from 50+ on one step. What a weapon. Glad he's backing up last year after a slower than expected start

At least your post seems to have cheered up Bedfrod.

Interesting insights from Joel Selwood as to how we'd be going about things in the back half of the year given the position we're in. (He would know - been there before.)

I generally like Selwood. He was a great leader for the cats and he has a lot of insight into what a team in such a strong position can do to ensure they don't fumble the big one. Even winning 24 of 25 games counts for little if that last game is a loss. We can control what we have control of. Issues we can't control are the biggest threat, like a key player or two getting injured just before or early in the game, dodgy umpiring, flu the days before, etc. For those we need contingencies.

I don't think I'm alone in having the sense in '22 that Scott and his team were doing just that. They had put themselves into such a strong position that it made our unexpected GF appearance look last minute by comparison. We didn't have the depth, the talent or the experience to go with them. A fit Sam Reid might have cut the margin down to a 50 point thrashing but Geelong made sure they made their own luck. They were ready.

So yeah, I think Selwood makes some very good points. At the same time, the headline should read. "Swans need to make sure they cover all their bases with a view to becoming unbackable favourites" won't get the clicks of "Horse is nervous. Have the Swans peaked too early?"

I generally like Selwood. He was a great leader for the cats and he has a lot of insight into what a team in such a strong position can do to ensure they don't fumble the big one. Even winning 24 of 25 games counts for little if that last game is a loss. We can control what we have control of. Issues we can't control are the biggest threat, like a key player or two getting injured just before or early in the game, dodgy umpiring, flu the days before, etc. For those we need contingencies.

I don't think I'm alone in having the sense in '22 that Scott and his team were doing just that. They had put themselves into such a strong position that it made our unexpected GF appearance look last minute by comparison. We didn't have the depth, the talent or the experience to go with them. A fit Sam Reid might have cut the margin down to a 50 point thrashing but Geelong made sure they made their own luck. They were ready.

So yeah, I think Selwood makes some very good points. At the same time, the headline should read. "Swans need to make sure they cover all their bases with a view to becoming unbackable favourites" won't get the clicks of "Horse is nervous. Have the Swans peaked too early?"
LOL yeah I had the exact same thought. Saw the headline and thought, "What shit is the media trying to cook up this time?" and then listened and it was just Selwood offering some pretty reasonable perspectives on what it's like being a runaway ladder leader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back