News Swans Talk in the Media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan's form was down. 6 disposals, 1 goal against the pies and 4 disposals 0 goals the previous week. It wasn't about trust
Well yeah no arguing he wasn't struggling but that probably made it easier to pull the trigger, rather than being the actual reason

Horse made a mistake in selecting Reid, but let's be real, his hand was practically forced. None of our forwards put their hand up leading into finals, and one tall managed to write himself off completely for being a complete idiot. Horse put a lot of faith in McDonald leading up to the GF and he failed to fire a shot at any point. To me, McDonald wasn't ready for the opportunity, and although it would have been tough at the time, and ultimately was an incorrect decision to play Reid, there is no evidence that McDonald would have done anything on the day.

Horse made a mistake in selecting Reid, but let's be real, his hand was practically forced. None of our forwards put their hand up leading into finals, and one tall managed to write himself off completely for being a complete idiot. Horse put a lot of faith in McDonald leading up to the GF and he failed to fire a shot at any point. To me, McDonald wasn't ready for the opportunity, and although it would have been tough at the time, and ultimately was an incorrect decision to play Reid, there is no evidence that McDonald would have done anything on the day.
No evidence , how can you have evidence wudfp

Article primarily on new leadership group, but Heeney also talks up a few of our young blokes;
Heeney said he had been excited by the pre-season performances of Sydney’s young brigade of midfielders and small forwards, with 2021 draft selection Matthew Roberts particularly impressing him.

“Matty Roberts – his fitness has just gone to another level, his high-speed running, sprints, he’s just so underrated in terms of how well he moves across the ground,” Heeney said.
“That’s shone this pre-season, and Gussy (Angus Sheldrick) as an inside bull has been extremely clean and tough.”

Dynamic small forward Jacob Konstanty was another of Heeney’s charges who could feature in Sydney’s side early in the season, he said.
“He’s a livewire; a little light fella but he hits hard and he’s actually trained really well over pre-season,” Heeney said.
“He’s got a little bit to work on game plan-wise but the attitude he’s got and the way he’s approached pre-season has been absolutely amazing.”

Plus Franklin pushing to play on Friday, but decision up to Longmire & physios with regard to loading.

Article primarily on new leadership group, but Heeney also talks up a few of our young blokes;

Plus Franklin pushing to play on Friday, but decision up to Longmire & physios with regard to loading.
Those comments in regards to Roberts are really encouraging. I always found him to be a one-paced diesel engine of a player. If he has upped his acceleration and sprinting that can only be a good thing, he more or less has the rest

One of those 'Where's your club at' articles that appear at this time of the year;

SYDNEY
Medical room

The biggest concern for the Swans over the summer has been Nick Blakey’s glandular fever diagnosis. Luckily, it's not severe, with the 22-year-old likely to play around 30 minutes of footy this Friday. Meanwhile, Ryan Clarke (hamstring), Joel Amartey (hamstring) and Hayden McLean (quad) are all tracking well from their respective injuries. But the news isn't as good for Sam Wicks, who underwent shoulder surgery last month. Veterans Lance Franklin, Sam Reid and Tom Hickey have all been on modified programs across the summer.

Who's flying
Errol Gulden hasn't missed a session this summer, with the 20-year-old set for an eye-catching 2023 after 43 games across his first two AFL seasons. While he may not crack into Sydney's best 23 immediately, there's been plenty of positivity around small forward Jacob Konstanty. Selected with pick No.20 at last year's draft, the Gippsland Power product has garnered comparisons to Tom Papley.

Well, this is new

Not just new, but big, bright and sparkling new! The Swans moved into their state-of-the-art training facilities at the historic Royal Hall of Industries building in January. Located just metres from the SCG, the building will house the men’s and women's programs, as well as Academy programs.

Pre-season games
Match sim: Saturday, February 25 v Brisbane Lions @ Tramway Oval (Moore Park), 12pm AEDT
Practice match: Friday, March 3 v Carlyon (sic) @ Blacktown International Sports Park, 7.10pm AEDT

And another thing...
There's always a few new haircuts getting around at this time of year. And at the Swans, it's young forward Logan McDonald who's trying out a new do. Gone are the flowing brown locks, with a shaved head now in their place.

I'll try not to labour the point but article written by Melbourne based journo Sarah Olle.
At least she's a Swans supporter.

Okay, Wicks still out with a shoulder injury. Our new forwards must be salivating at the chance of an opportunity.
Exciting for them, but the Clarke/Sheldrick/Wicks/Konstanty battle for spots that I was really looking forward to has fizzled due to injuries. Bit of a bummer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exciting for them, but the Clarke/Sheldrick/Wicks/Konstanty battle for spots that I was really looking forward to has fizzled due to injuries. Bit of a bummer.
Given Heeney’s recent comments re: Gus, I’m not sure he’s in the battle for a forward spot.

Instead, I suspect he’s in the mix for the mids.

I know the question was asked of RedBloodBlackSwan but since I'm here.

I wrote this back in December;

I'll just post a couple of observations I made during the season (from 2 different reserves games)
Roberts got plenty of the ball, but his tendency to always go on his left foot and roost the ball as far as he can was again on display....

....although a bit more composure when Roberts kicks the ball would be welcome
I think they highlight his strength (getting the ball) and a weakness (disposal by foot).
I like his disposal by hand, quick and accurate, but his kicking needs work.
He's not the quickest, most athletic and in some ways he is the 'old fashioned' centreman, going from contest to contest, winning the ball and quickly getting rid of it.
He may well not make it, but with Bell and Taylor gone and Clarke maybe still in the firsts, I think more responsibility and a year in the system will hopefully see improvement in his overall game.

So to hear Heeney say "“Matty Roberts – his fitness has just gone to another level, his high-speed running, sprints, he’s just so underrated in terms of how well he moves across the ground,” is really encouraging.
I wonder if Heeney's referring to his general tank improving or a more specific, Warner-like improvement in his burst and acceleration?

Great interview 12mins with Ben Matthews(assistant coach at the Swan).

Talks a lot about the players especially with regard to the 2 preseason matches.

Some good bits about Gould, Roberts, injuries to talls, Francis, Sheldrick and more

Great interview 12mins with Ben Matthews(assistant coach at the Swan).

Talks a lot about the players especially with regard to the 2 preseason matches.

Some good bits about Gould, Roberts, injuries to talls, Francis, Sheldrick and more

Was a great listen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back