Song Contest Part XVI, Host: ???, Theme:???, Noms Due: ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In honour of my impending entry into the Hall of Legends for competing in 50 rounds in a row, it is only right that we have a round that is close to my heart. I was pretty clear about it coming up too when my inevitable victory was still impending, so here it is. To my knowledge we have never, not even once, had a round dedicated to a single band or artist.

That changes now, as we honour Australia's greatest ever band (fact).

The theme for this round is MIDNIGHT OIL.

The song you nominate must be a song performed by Midnight Oil, the band. No covers of their stuff, nothing by a side or solo project of one of the members.

The following songs are not permitted due to being previous podiums/having been nominated twice or more: Beds Are Burning (4 nominations), Don't Wanna Be the One (1 win), Dreamworld (1 win, 2 nominations), Short Memory (2 nominations), Sleep (2 nominations), The Dead Heart (1 podium, 2 nominations), The Power and the Passion (1 win, 2 nominations) and When the Generals Talk (1 podium). Any other song of theirs is fair game.

Noms due 10 PM AWST (1 AM Tuesday AEDT) as I will be elsewhere earlier in the evening and I'm not getting on BF early the next day just for you eastern staters.

I look forward to the spreadsheet being filled with many more Oils songs for future generations to appreciate.
**** Peter Garrett you disingenuous lying campaigner.

Wiping away the shame of all your FotC nominations?
I will never be ashamed of nomming the 4th most popular folk parody duo in New Zealand.

The contest now seems to be less about how much you enjoy the songs and more about how unknown the artist is.

I will never be ashamed of nomming the 4th most popular folk parody duo in New Zealand.

The contest now seems to be less about how much you enjoy the songs and more about how unknown the artist is.
Can't say I agree, that's more a perception of just not liking what you haven't heard before.
I mean, I remember giving 5 votes to a 24 minute atmospheric track the other month. It was just good, not because it's 120% esoteric.

I don't think I've ever nommed a song I didn't like. Even if it was researched the night of the new theme being given. I still listen to the songs and enjoy it before nomming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey raskolnikov - EJ was amazing :)
He still knows how to give a rousing, heartfelt performance , and everyone was on their feet for the last hour or so. The setlist was perfectly picked and ordered (though I had to wait until the very end to hear one of my all time favourites). We even got treated to an EJ tantrum haha (he later apologised for language haha)
I loved what he said about working with Aretha/ Bernie and about AIDS too.

Edit/
Tried to attach better videos but they were too large

View attachment IMG_5287.MOV

85BCFD4A-B8B9-431A-AF90-CFCCB7377992.jpeg

8BA94CD4-57C9-4EFE-A27D-CA74DF9E5E93.jpeg

Last edited:
Speaking of concerts, Jazny may appreciate this one.
Thursday evening I attended a concert at Montsalvat in Eltham (Victoria) featuring Piers Lane, accomplished Aussie classical pianist. He played 11 of Chopin's Nocturnes. I went with my boyfriend, his mum and her sisters (it was his mum's 70th birthday and she LOVES Chopin!). Whilst I prefer contemporary/modern classical stuff (Ludovico Einaudi for example) I still appreciated the music. Lane was a spectacular performer, it was like he embodied Chopin and all his emotions. :)

I can't wait til I win next time and have a Haysi Fantayzee round.
I was hoping for a Russian round to go with my future Bollywood round

Or one of us can draw inspiration from The Speaker and host an Elton John round

It's too late (for that) now

If I'm in the Running for this round, I'll have to make the most of it, even if it's Only For One Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back