MRP / Trib. Shane McAdam Bump on Jacob Wehr

Remove this Banner Ad

The ‘potential to cause injury’ is farce.

In todays world it’s not. The AFL are asking for trouble if they don’t consider this. The issue is the blatantly soft penalties for all 3 not just this one. I’m flat out over these high bumps, set the standard as 3 weeks minimum and it would stop the act in a week as coaches won’t want their players missing a month!

So you agree that Buddy should’ve gone for 4+ then. Actually caused injury.

I’d be happy enough if they all got the same. They probably all should have got the same charge. Was Bud lucky yes, I expected him to get 2 weeks purely off the metric. I hate the metric we need a new metric for bumps the current one is ridiculously outdated.

The ‘potential to cause injury’ is farce.
It’s deliberately vague and I only ever see that reasoning brought into it when they know they don’t have much of an argument based on the rules.

Wasn’t high, didn’t leave the ground, and was a pretty clean, albeit hard, hit.

“BuT yOu CoUlD hAvE sErIoUsLy HuRt HiM”.

When they hit you with that you know you’re f*cked because any deliberate act on the football field could technically be argued as potential to cause injury

In todays world it’s not. The AFL are asking for trouble if they don’t consider this. The issue is the blatantly soft penalties for all 3 not just this one. I’m flat out over these high bumps, set the standard as 3 weeks minimum and it would stop the act in a week as coaches won’t want their players missing a month!
It wasn’t high.

I mean fair enough if you’re going to call it like it is and try to stop rough play in the face of all these impending lawsuits.

But I just can’t understand the consistency given the two other incidents that happened this weekend.

Picketts looked worse, he left the ground, and actually got him in the head. Can someone explain to me how that is less of a “potential to cause serious injury” than McAdam’s hit was?

If you’re going to crack down on it at least stick to your own set of rules. McAdam 3 weeks? Sure, then Pickett 4 or 5
There is a very very real chance McAdam will get off now with no weeks on an appeal as its not an arm of the AFL, its independent. Then IF that happens, the AFL will have mud all over their face for what they have done

I said before, Christian should have been holding 9.00am media conference today to say they reassessed McAdams referral to the tribunal and have withdrawn it and offered a 2 match ban under MRO as they recognised in light of the Pickett and Franklin penalties, they erred in referring this to the tribunal. That would have saved face for the AFL and likely the crows would have just accepted the 2 match ban and everyone moved on. Now they have got the crows back right up ad lets face it, there are more holes in the AFL's arguments than a block of swiss cheese - the legal guys when presenting to a less biased panel should have no problem pulling the AFL grading apart

AFL Statement....we will show the world we are tough on unnecessary head contact like we saw with Pickett and Franklin. It just won't be tolerated...here Shane have 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you are right but they need to start applying it to other areas too. Kane sounded like a tinfoil hat wearing lunatic when 12 months ago he was banging on about the speccy being under threat due to the potential for a knee to the back of the head causing injury. Now he sounds like he had the right take. How can the AFL use potential to cause injury in one instance but not another. A knee to the back of the head.

Remember, it's no longer about players going past the ball. Buddy did that and only got a week. Shane went after the ball carrier.

It's no longer about footy actions. A bump is a footy action too, but apparently only when done in an increasingly limited capacity.

The result no longer matters anymore it's the potential.

I genuinely think the AFL is backing themselves into a pretty tight corner and I get it is motivated by looming lawsuits but the reality is if they are going to do it then they need to at least appear that they are

A) consistently applying rules to everyone

And

B) ensuring that their principles apply to all facets of the game, not just their pick and choose model.

So the tribunal think the Pickett one was more 'glancing?' GAGF

And 360 predictably just did a big pat on the back piece for the AFL and the MRO.

Then Robbo flirted with the idea of bringing up the core issue fans are losing their minds over - the absolute inconsistency relative to Pickett and what do they do? They laugh about the whole thing.

How out of touch do you need to be with your audience?
360 was already a joke but this just confirms in my mind it isn't trying to discuss issues fans cares about but is in fact a mouthpiece for the AFL.

Boycott it.
I did a couple years ago can’t stand wankley loved him on abc now his a flipping moron

AFL trying to become the NBA more everyday.

Star driven league.

All 3 should be penalised high. Not just reduce based on reputation....

Not only are bumps banned now, but tackling too.

Think how many players have been injured in tackles. Way too much potential for injury!

Also gotta ban contested marking, lots of knees in the back, leg injuries from bad landings, tonnes of potential for injury!

And you know when most players pull a hamstring? When they're running. BAN IT!

You know, now that I think about it, if we stopped games altogether then the potential for injury goes down drastically.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Shane McAdam Bump on Jacob Wehr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back