SFNL Div 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geez, I though it was Sunday like the pass years. Hope people know. Big clash with AFL and races at The Heath. Going to be very windy. May the best team win.

Congrats to dingley as chelt choked
Also congrats to Dingley, but I'm not sure about the choking comment Bob. The game was played on one side of the ground and when it mattered most the Chelt boys just kept playing to the defensive side [ wind affected ] side of the ground which allowed Dingley to hold onto their lead in the last quarter. Perhaps out coached by the master coach Morwood ? The worst part of the day was having to line up for a frothy 100 deep in the queue.

What is the salary cap for Div 1? Most clubs would be paying similar I imagine, even clubs like Bentleigh and Stkilda have high profile players who don’t come cheap.

Not sure, I do know that St Paul’s wage bill is low in comparison to others, a big reason for quite a few leaving after the GF win.

Not sure, I do know that St Paul’s wage bill is low in comparison to others, a big reason for quite a few leaving after the GF win.
Still preformed ok this year for 10-12 rounds if you look at the ladder.
Psss. Is Morris (Mordi) going to Dingo's next year. I hear live close to ground and does not want to play for DL other side next year ????

Psss. Is Morris (Mordi) going to Dingo's next year. I hear live close to ground and does not want to play for DL other side next year ????

Morris on the move, also hearing Derbyshire will be leaving too.

Also congrats to Dingley, but I'm not sure about the choking comment Bob. The game was played on one side of the ground and when it mattered most the Chelt boys just kept playing to the defensive side [ wind affected ] side of the ground which allowed Dingley to hold onto their lead in the last quarter. Perhaps out coached by the master coach Morwood ? The worst part of the day was having to line up for a frothy 100 deep in the queue.
They didn't bother lining up for food. I went twice and there was none. The catering was a shambles, parking worse and it looked terrible with one side empty. Its not the venue for local footy.

Suffered a few injuries late and didn't have the same depth as the year before to cover, i have no idea about the players you mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst part was having to sit through the match. Horrible game with horrible skills. After some years of sustained improvement I reckon Div. 1 has plateaued.

Worst part was having to sit through the match. Horrible game with horrible skills. After some years of sustained improvement I reckon Div. 1 has plateaued.
A real shame the SFNL has gone this way I wouldn’t be surprised if clubs like Dingley try and move back to the MPFL soon in new structure.
As for Division 1 maybe next year for the Grand Final try and play it as a Saturday night game or go back to playing it on a Sunday.
Unless the SNFL improves on and off the field in all areas maybe in trouble in time.

A real shame the SFNL has gone this way I wouldn’t be surprised if clubs like Dingley try and move back to the MPFL soon in new structure.
As for Division 1 maybe next year for the Grand Final try and play it as a Saturday night game or go back to playing it on a Sunday.
Unless the SNFL improves on and off the field in all areas maybe in trouble in time.

Perhaps my judgment of Saturday’s GF was influenced by what I saw on Sunday. Went to the VAFA GF at Elsternwick. Admittedly the conditions were conducive to better football but the standard was about 20 – 25 goals better than what I saw Saturday. About 15 ex AFL and around the same number of VFL blokes running around. Was staggered at how good the level was. Have not seen an EFL Div. 1 game for a while but reliably told it is about the same quality. By comparison we are miles off it.

Perhaps my judgment of Saturday’s GF was influenced by what I saw on Sunday. Went to the VAFA GF at Elsternwick. Admittedly the conditions were conducive to better football but the standard was about 20 – 25 goals better than what I saw Saturday. About 15 ex AFL and around the same number of VFL blokes running around. Was staggered at how good the level was. Have not seen an EFL Div. 1 game for a while but reliably told it is about the same quality. By comparison we are miles off it.
Well the VAFA could be a solution for some clubs in the SFNL especially in the 3+4 Division and the 3rds as the cost to run a club is getting bigger by the day and with the stranded in Division 1 being as bad as it is I just hope the league can survive.

No way the MPNFL clubs will have them, they only want small non threatening clubs for a third division.

No growth in the league. They should be knocking Berwick’s door down for starters. They need to expand into the outer suburbs.

No way the MPNFL clubs will have them, they only want small non threatening clubs for a third division.

No growth in the league. They should be knocking Berwick’s door down for starters. They need to expand into the outer suburbs.
Berwick into our Comp?
They would dominate along with Narre and Beaconsfield who will follow.

Why bring in the same problem that has ruined two other leagues already.

They’re way too strong and the points and cap don’t have any effect on them.

Much better to have a fairly even div 1 that may not be right up there with EFL and VAFA div 1.

Berwick into our Comp?
They would dominate along with Narre and Beaconsfield who will follow.

Why bring in the same problem that has ruined two other leagues already.

They’re way too strong and the points and cap don’t have any effect on them.

Much better to have a fairly even div 1 that may not be right up there with EFL and VAFA div 1.

I’m not so sure tbh. They’d obviously be a strong D1 outfit but don’t know if they’d be as dominant as that. They were to be placed into D2 in the EFL - that’s actually Division 3. They played Balwyn last year in a practice match and got absolutely destroyed, kicking only one goal for the game. It’s not as though you’d be bringing in an EFL Premier level club. They may have dominated the old SEFL but neither that nor the YVMDFL are elite leagues.

If people think the league needs to improve then it has to expand into the outer suburbs where the population is. Clubs like Cranbourne and Berwick aren’t keen on their current situations and are perfectly located.

Reality is players play in the league and division relative to their ability. No doubt majority of SFNL Div 1 players would struggle to get a game at VAFA Premier or Div 1. But that’s ok, they play at a lower level with blokes similar to them with inducement of $$. Why do we shudder when we compare Div 1s and VAFA premier to SFNL Div 1. Do ya reckon players in VAFA Div D or E compare themselves to premier in their league? SFNL will not be going away for a long time as it fits the market. All the doomsayers need to move on.

Reality is players play in the league and division relative to their ability. No doubt majority of SFNL Div 1 players would struggle to get a game at VAFA Premier or Div 1. But that’s ok, they play at a lower level with blokes similar to them with inducement of $$. Why do we shudder when we compare Div 1s and VAFA premier to SFNL Div 1. Do ya reckon players in VAFA Div D or E compare themselves to premier in their league? SFNL will not be going away for a long time as it fits the market. All the doomsayers need to move on.

Not having a crack mate. Was more the fact that in my opinion (and it is just my opinion) the comp has been improving significantly over the last 2 – 3 years. However based on what I have seen this year it has plateaued or even gone backwards and that's a shame. Also thought we were closer in standard to the top divisions of other metro comps but I was wrong there as well. Was genuinely surprised at the gap between the top 2 SFL and top 2 VAFA. Still reckon the very best players from Div.1 would not be out of place in Premier VAFA or EFL. It’s just the depth of talent that is the main difference.

I agree we cater to a specific market but other comps are looking to grow sso we have to remain vigilant and keep improving. Getting our unders comp back on track would be a good start. At the moment it is a shambles.

I’m not so sure tbh. They’d obviously be a strong D1 outfit but don’t know if they’d be as dominant as that. They were to be placed into D2 in the EFL - that’s actually Division 3. They played Balwyn last year in a practice match and got absolutely destroyed, kicking only one goal for the game. It’s not as though you’d be bringing in an EFL Premier level club. They may have dominated the old SEFL but neither that nor the YVMDFL are elite leagues.

If people think the league needs to improve then it has to expand into the outer suburbs where the population is. Clubs like Cranbourne and Berwick aren’t keen on their current situations and are perfectly located.
They are miles better than EFL Div 2. They have have dominated both The SEFNL and YVMDFL/ Outer east.
Both those leagues are ranked about 12 or 13. The SFNL is ranked in the 20s. They would be dominant in this comp. All sfnl clubs bar maybe 1 or 2 simply don’t have the finances or capacity to grow to match the set ups of the top end sefnl clubs.

Im not sure why we need to expand but if we choose to expand by letting these clubs in we better get used to the top 3 or 4 every year being south eastern suburbs clubs.

Last edited:
Any club B&F results in yet.
Will Matt Kreymborg do it for the 3rd year running or "Who else.
For what its worth my tips are ; 1st Worrell (Chelt). 2nd Tunner (Highett). 3rd Kreymborg (St Pauls) 4th Farmer (Dingos) and 5th Lonergan (E Malvern)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back