Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Maybe a new start might benefit blokes like Harry, DGB and Wardy...
Won't benefit us.

Harry is 8 years in, and at a stage in his career where would want senior game time. If he needs a new start, so be it.

The other two:- a 20 year old 3rd year mid, doing well at VFL, and a tall who only just turned 22...they don't need a new start anywhere else.

We NEED these kinds of players over the next 7 years.

I swear, when we don't have injuries for a few weeks, people forget they are a permanent fixture. Worpel pings a hammy, we need Ward, not a first year coming in. Same if Scrim or someone goes down, with DGB ready to come in. You want mature depth, fighting for best 22, ready to come in with minimal disruption to the team dynamic.

We need to maintain a best 30 or so. Ward (and even DGB, I think) are absolutely part of that.

Won't benefit us.

Harry is 8 years in, and at a stage in his career where would want senior game time. If he needs a new start, so be it.

The other two:- a 20 year old 3rd year mid, doing well at VFL, and a tall who only just turned 22...they don't need a new start anywhere else.

I swear, when we don't have injuries for a few weeks, people forget they are a permanent fixture. Worpel pings a hammy, we need Ward, not a first year coming in. Same if Scrim or someone goes down, with DGB ready to come in. You want mature depth, fighting for best 22, ready to come in with minimal disruption to the team dynamic.

We need to maintain a best 30 or so. Ward (and even DGB, I think) are absolutely part of that.
Yeah but if we want to bring in blokes like Baz and Battle, we have to put forward players of value....

The most pleasing part of the rebuild now coming to the fore is how much star power we are building. Having those key people on every line that can change a game at a moment is so key.

And their stars that want the best for the team

So I commented earlier in the year that I had spoken with Dylan Moore at a hawks function during the off-season, and he had said that there had been very little strength and conditioning in the off-season, with more emphasis on gameplan and skill work.

Was the early season form a result of this, and now with increased fitness, we are seeing the benefit of gameplan/skill focus in the off-season?

Interesting article on the AFL website about 5+ goal streak given one of his main goals is to stop momentum

Most 5+ goal streaks scored, 2024
Sydney - 12
Western Bulldogs - 9
Brisbane - 8
Collingwood - 8
Geelong - 8

Hawthorn - 5 Geelong, Collingwood, North, Adelaide, Richmond

Most 5+ goal streaks conceded, 2024
Richmond - 14
North Melbourne - 12
Collingwood - 8
West Coast - 7
Adelaide - 6
Carlton - 6
Fremantle - 6
Geelong - 6
Hawthorn - 6 - Melbourne, Geelong, Collingwood, Sydney x2, Port

This is something that we managed much better since Round 7. We do need to capitalise more when we do have momentum. A number of times we have got to 4 but haven't been able to ram home the advantage.

Last edited:
Chol, Ginni, Massimo
Wiz Calsher McCabe

That’s excellent business right there before we look at rookies
And some draft capital used to upgrade for Weddle last year.

Still hold first round pick in 2024. Subsequent round pick is linked to Collingwood is probably 3-4 picks better than last year another tied to brisbane might be 10 picks better than last year.

Much talked about war chest $$$ to get FAs

Hope sleepy mark is getting plenty of rest

D+

Last edited:
Will be interesting how much Lewis improves our forward line, as even though it has improved a lot with Gini,Dear,Chol we still can’t consistently kick over 100 points, which need to improve if are to make finals.

So you can see how our game is focused on defence and centre square clearance more with how much it has improved in the stats where we sit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting how much Lewis improves our forward line, as even though it has improved a lot with Gini,Dear,Chol we still can’t consistently kick over 100 points, which need to improve if are to make finals.

So you can see how our game is focused on defence and centre square clearance more with how much it has improved in the stats where we sit.
Our last four final scores...

97, 85, 107, 100.

Extremely potent for a side that started 0-5 and was sitting bottom four.

Our forward line is just fine, thanks. The only question is, will Mitch improve it at all? (and I like him a lot)

97, 85, 107, 100.

Our forward line is just fine, thanks. The only question is, will Mitch improve it at all? (and I like him a lot)
Winning is great but what I'd like to see is the ability to get close to 100pts by 3qt time. As long as our defence remains as solid as it has then this would mean most games would be close to over by then. The team can then pile on the pain in the 4th and start to build that feeling of being a dominant team.

97, 85, 107, 100.

That my point only 2 out of the last 4 games have just scraped 100 points

Winning is great but what I'd like to see is the ability to get close to 100pts by 3qt time. As long as our defence remains as solid as it has then this would mean most games would be close to over by then. The team can then pile on the pain in the 4th and start to build that feeling of being a dominant team.

Yep agreed hopefully this improves

Won't benefit us.

Bang on the money. Finally we have quality depth that can step in when needed. Plus blokes like Ward can do an apprenticeship at VFL level which makes them better prepared for regular AFL games.

Also important for percentage

Our list has somehow gone from 'one of the worst in the league' and an example of how hard and long rebuilds are, to an absolute embarrassment of riches in a few months....
Our first 7 opponents currently sit:

1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 10th, 11th & 18th

So only one of those opponents sit below us at the moment.

Our next 7 opponents currently sit 5th, 6th (we lost), 9th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 17th.

Clearly we have played some weaker sides in the last 2 months.

We had a tough draw to start, and many here refused to acknowledge that.

It always easier to get into your stride when you play ordinary teams week in / week out.

We are travelling as a 9th - 12th side should at present.

Guess what? If we had to play the same 5 starting sides again at the start of 2025, we probably wouldn’t go better than 2-3 anyhow.

Quality of opponent has a part to play here.

14 games in, I have to say my view of the team and its general outlook has changed enormously. It probably has for many here.

I didn't expect much this year other than improvement over last. I wanted to see growth.
After 5 rounds I had zero confidence in the team and was struggling to see where the improvement would come from. It looked to be another, long tough year.

The squad hasn't changed enormously since then although we have had a few back from injury.

I would put the improvement down to the team gelling. Everyone looks to be playing at their best because they are playing their role. How much better does every player on our list look now?
And look at the quality of the guys stuck in the twos?

Earlier in the year they would all have been automatic inclusions.
Not now.

Well done to Sam and everyone at the HFC.
We are in very good hands and look much closer to success than I would have believed a few months ago.
Look Day being back has been awesome and he is arguably our best player and captain in waiting BUT 100% it’s about our team gelling better. I mean they’re basically telling us at every news conference - we are more predictable to each other etc

Our first 7 opponents currently sit:

1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 10th, 11th & 18th

So only one of those opponents sit below us at the moment.

Our next 7 opponents currently sit 5th, 6th (we lost), 9th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 17th.

Clearly we have played some weaker sides in the last 2 months.

We had a tough draw to start, and many here refused to acknowledge that.

It always easier to get into your stride when you play ordinary teams week in / week out.

We are travelling as a 9th - 12th side should at present.

Guess what? If we had to play the same 5 starting sides again at the start of 2025, we probably wouldn’t go better than 2-3 anyhow.

Quality of opponent has a part to play here.
Come on mate. Quality of opponent? The fact you're talking about the Dogs and Brisbane in terms of their ladder position shows how much of a stretch you're making here. Dogs have had more wins against top 8 sides than anyone outside of Sydney.

Also just saying "we lost" against Port as if that showed we weren't that good when in reality we almost (and honestly should have) knocked them off with our two best defenders in Sic and Scrim out of the side.

Sometimes the relentless realist shit gets a bit tiring, and the games don't really just boil down to which side plays which side in terms of their positions on the ladder. Especially this year.

No matter where we finish this year, there will be a lot more scrutiny on us next year. We will be expected to win more than we lose . Gotta be mindful of what happened to the crows, they were doing overs last year ( just like I thought) and were talking it up pre season about their finals chances yet here we are. Obviously though, their list is awfully unbalanced with their older players still playing some good footy last year and now that they're struggling, they've been found out. But still, we definitely need a big pre season and mindset to go top 8 , hell, maybe even top 4!

No matter where we finish this year, there will be a lot more scrutiny on us next year. We will be expected to win more than we lose . Gotta be mindful of what happened to the crows, they were doing overs last year ( just like I thought) and were talking it up pre season about their finals chances yet here we are. Obviously though, their list is awfully unbalanced with their older players still playing some good footy last year and now that they're struggling, they've been found out. But still, we definitely need a big pre season and mindset to go top 8 , hell, maybe even top 4!
The Hawthorn players and coaches wanted to play finals this year. So we haven't achieved what we want to achieve this year yet. Forget about next year we still have so many games to win this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back