Game Day Round 3: Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see Hughes go out and Tobe Watson given a go. Hughes has had zero tackles in both games this year, only one mark on the weekend, and only 7 disposals in each game. I just can't see what he brings to the team on current form, he is a much better player than what he's shown this year and should be hitting peak form of his career about now. Maybe carrying an injury? Tobe looked good in the preseason games and I think he would adapt to AFL level.

Out: Darcy, Hughes, Duman, Schultz
In: Hogan, Wilson, Watson, Sturt

Hmm, Hughes really established himself last year so it has been a disappointing start for him. I still have the faith and would play him this week but he needs to get going. He is very strong and capable in the air and brave in the physical encounters at ground level, offers more than Watson when in form, but form will always eventually dictate. Not bagging Watson, I see him coming into the 22 soon enough.

Margetts has been given the WC-Brisbane game (tough luck Cameron, no staging free kicks for you this week!) and named emergency for our game.

Wilson named as an emergency, do we think it's a precaution to give him an extra week of rest? Or has he not been deemed in our best 22? You'd think if he wasn't ready he wouldn't be an emergency...

Wilson named as an emergency, do we think it's a precaution to give him an extra week of rest? Or has he not been deemed in our best 22? You'd think if he wasn't ready he wouldn't be an emergency...
Reading between the lines, if we didnt have 3 other players returning from injury, he'd have played. Probably the most underdone of the 4 so he missed out another week.

I choose to believe Serong is also being kept out for the similar reasons and depending on how players go this weekend, Serong and Wilson to come in enxt week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading between the lines, if we didnt have 3 other players returning from injury, he'd have played. Probably the most underdone of the 4 so he missed out another week.

I choose to believe Serong is also being kept out for the similar reasons and depending on how players go this weekend, Serong and Wilson to come in enxt week

That's fair enough re Wilson. It baffles me that Shultz and Matera who did very little get a game over Serong. Yes Serong will take time but he's the future. Colyer bar an ok final quarter was shocking. First half hardly touched the ball. He's not AFL standard so why gift him games?

Colyer gets to play his 100th and is a mature body against a form team in Port.

Would be good to see both in next week. The team will look considerably different if so next week compared to how they lined up in round 1.

if serong debuts in round 5 he's going to be the chosen one (our 2nd pick in 1999 and 2009 both debuted in r5 - Pav and Fyfe. serong was our 2nd pick last year), but no pressure or anything

This. I agree that they'll probably both be in next week. When that happens it'll be by far the most exciting Freo team in 10 years.

"What we're trying to balance up with our selection is to make sure we don't overdo it with players that haven't played a lot of footy," Longmuir said.

"We're early into the season, players are still trying to get their match fitness up to a certain level.

"So we just need to make sure we don't put too much strain on all our players by playing guys who haven't played for a long time."

A lot of talent on the Port bench. All would be in our best 22. No one on our bench would be anywhere near selection at Port.
We could still win though.

Have to agree I’m surprised we’ve kept all three of Colyer, Schultz and Matera in the team after last week. Would be great to have Serong come in soon and Liam Henry down the track.

Probably one of the stronger teams we’ve had on the park for a while with only the two key backs and Acres/Wilson to bolster our best lineup.

J-Lo seems quite conservative. And maybe rightfully so at this point. But I still don't see the point in playing Colyer/Schultz/Matera, even if the replacement doesn't have great match fitness.

Wilson is probably at about 60-70% where ideally they want him at 80-90%.

We are looking good up front - Hogan, Taberner and Sturt our talls.

Our defensive spine still missing is going to probably be the difference between us winning and losing games however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back