Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I
Remember Watters said birth certificates counted for little? Time to show it.

He did, but also said games had to be earnt and wouldn't just be handed out. If he wasn't good enough to get a game in Round 1, I can't see what has changed. Would love to see him string 2 consecutive solid games at Sandy and demand inclusion.

How can Siposs be in?

He had all pre-season to cement himself in the lineup and came up short by not getting into the final 22 for Round 1. Injured himself early doors at Sandy. Playing him this week doesn't suggest he's earnt his spot compared to Ross, Archer or Simpkin.

Yep can't see how Siposs would play if he didn't make grade in round 1. Not to mention it would be very risky to play someone coming off knee bruising or jarring or whatever it was. It's not like he's Buddy or Stevie J....

Seb Ross might get spot for Ray, although hasnt been overly impressive in VFL. But he has done much more then Saad.

He did, but also said games had to be earnt and wouldn't just be handed out. If he wasn't good enough to get a game in Round 1, I can't see what has changed. Would love to see him string 2 consecutive solid games at Sandy and demand inclusion.
That's what I originally thought as well but The Punter made a good point. What exactly did Polo and Ray do to earn a spot? Ledger was almost our best player in the NAB Cup and wasn't rewarded.

Kosi was basically our only marking forward target yesterday, no way he'll be dropped. If he kicks 3 goals every game, I'd be happy with that. Thought he moved pretty well too, much better than just about any time last year.

Whatever constitutes swinging the axe, the axe won't be swung. With Cripps, Milera, even Stanley all young and raw, we don't need another 4 or 5 kids coming in.

Having said that, I think I agree with AT

IN: Simpkin, Ledger
OUT: Blake, Ray

May as well have 5 kids in the side and see how they stack up against the GCS kids

What good is a marking target that can't take a contested mark?

This is becoming a recurring feature.

Kosi started well against the Eagles, but ended with 9 possessions.

He was flying against the filth - marking everything in the first half - but again finished with 9 possessions.

Some early goals on the weekend, but only 6 possessions.

Given Rhys seems to be the preferred ruck back-up, do we need to sub Kosi off during games (or is there a fitness issue that will fade as the season progresses)?

That's what I originally thought as well but The Punter made a good point. What exactly did Polo and Ray do to earn a spot? Ledger was almost our best player in the NAB Cup and wasn't rewarded.

I think people are reading too much into Ledger missing. He obviously wasn't 100% right, so he didn't play. He'll get a game.

In regards to Siposs, it's up to him to display form that's better than someone currently in the 22. So far he hasn't done that. Others will disagree, but I can't see him coming in and producing 5 goals with 5 kicks.

This is becoming a recurring feature.

Kosi started well against the Eagles, but ended with 9 possessions.

He was flying against the filth - marking everything in the first half - but again finished with 9 possessions.

Some early goals on the weekend, but only 6 possessions.

Given Rhys seems to be the preferred ruck back-up, do we need to sub Kosi off during games (or is there a fitness issue that will fade as the season progresses)?

It would be a decent experiment, but If Wilkes has another good performance for Sandy, I'd rather just bring him in and save the sub for a potential impact player, Saad, Ledger, Ross etc.

I hope its not fitness? Isn't Kosi meant to be fitter than he's been for years?

Kozzie hasn't got the tank for a WHOLE game of AFL footy, that's why he's on my bench.
Utilise him as an impact player either forward or in the ruck.

Our forward pressure was once again lacking in particular the first qtr..when we lost the game..!!

Wilkes is the OBVIOUS choice as he's strong overhead & mobile once the pill hits the ground, & is a proven goalkicker..(WAFL 44 goals in ten games 2011)

Simpkin has been demanding a game so he's in..!
Ross is a hard nut, give him a crack..

Out: Polo, Peake (too soft & lousy disposal), Ray (soft),

In: Wilkes, Simpkin, Ross,

These changes at a minimum..

Kozzie hasn't got the tank for a WHOLE game of AFL footy, that's why he's on my bench.
Utilise him as an impact player either forward or in the ruck.

Our forward pressure was once again lacking in particular the first qtr..when we lost the game..!!

Wilkes is the OBVIOUS choice as he's strong overhead & mobile once the pill hits the ground, & is a proven goalkicker..(WAFL 44 goals in ten games 2011)

Simpkin has been demanding a game so he's in..!
Ross is a hard nut, give him a crack..

Out: Polo, Peake (too soft & lousy disposal), Ray (soft),

In: Wilkes, Simpkin, Ross,

These changes at a minimum..

Too tall, no Ledger, Ross fairly undeserving.

So while I agree with Wilkes and Simpkin, tall players in means tall players out.

So that means something like Kosi and Gilbert out for these two.

Think we are missing Gram, Gwilt and Schneids. That would certainly improve the quality of the side.

Too tall, no Ledger, Ross fairly undeserving.

So while I agree with Wilkes and Simpkin, tall players in means tall players out.

So that means something like Kosi and Gilbert out for these two.

Think we are missing Gram, Gwilt and Schneids. That would certainly improve the quality of the side.

Doesnt need to be. I'd be happy for Fisher to be loose man in defense if Blake and Simpkin can man up on a couple of talls.

But I agree regarding Kosi. If he hasn't got the tank tell him to come back when he has the tank. Impact ????

Doesnt need to be. I'd be happy for Fisher to be loose man in defense if Blake and Simpkin can man up on a couple of talls.

But I agree regarding Kosi. If he hasn't got the tank tell him to come back when he has the tank. Impact ????

In general tall players in means tall players out. If Wilkes came in, without removing a tall:

HF: Stanley, Riewoldt, Milera
FF: Milne, Kosi, Wilkes

Lots and lots of rebound 50s, even without introducing another tallish player like Sippos.

But I agree in defence, it would be possible to swap Simpkin for Peake, releasing someone (dempster or Fisher) to play on a smaller player in order to rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to make 3 selection switches:

Out: Gilbert (I know, Punter, I know... but sheesh, how bad was he?!)
In: Simpkin
Because Gilbert has been shown to be crap in his former role, and he's tall, he's been moved into Zac's role. But he's crap at that, too. Simpkin is a fantastic player, and should have been picked last week in the first place. Tall back for a real tall back.

Out: Polo
In: Ledger
Assuming that Ledger "just wasn't right", then he comes in to replace Polo. Maybe Polo is unlucky. I wasn't uber impressed, but hey. Ultimately, his performance is irrelevant, since he's suspended anyway.

Out: Ray
In: Wilkes
If Ray hadn't played, nobody wouldn't have noticed. I think Wilkes coming in DOES create a bit of a risk that we'll be too tall. But hey. Frankly, I think that Kosi's three goals and then stuff all is saving his butt. Sippos has to earn it. Ray should have had to earn it.

The only other option is bringing in Saad as a burst player, with his pace and flair. But he hasn't really taken the bull by the horns either.

And it is so mindblowingly bleedingly obvious that Kosi should be subbed. Like, wow. Especially when they've taken a tall ruck off.
Ugh...

To all those Saints fans bagging Dean Polo, the 2 coaches voted him amongst the best on weekend, giving him 1 vote in coaches award. Think he might actually be bigger loss then people think..

We've struggled to kick goals all pre-season.

We kick 13 on Sunday, with one player kicking three.

Let's drop him.
One goal was a joe the goose, about 5 frees against and a 50m penalty. We had a hard enough time getting the ball in the F50 and often when we did Kosi would allow it to go straight back out. He might as well have left at quarter time.

I don't have a problem with Kosi, I have a problem with him being the FF. He's only really ever had half a season playing well as a FF in 2009 and I don't know why we continue to persist with him there. He played well last season as a ruckmen that pushed forward and IMO its where he's always played his best footy.

For those who are saying Siposs' form probably doesn't warrant a game, I was at Eureka Stadium on Sunday, watching the boys run around, and personally I thought he was our best player when he went down. He was creating run and taking the game on.
In saying this though, I seriously can't see him getting up for the game this weekend. I did the same thing to my knee last year, was able to play but only around 70 percent. I got through about 10 games before the pain got too much and took 3 weeks off to let the bruising go away fully.
I'd say being in an AFL environment, they won't risk him this weekend at all. But who knows, it may not be that bad.

We will miss Zac Dawson.

Ideally you want Fisher and Gilbert as your medium defenders, with two small defenders (which can be Dempster (despite his actual height) and Geary or Cripps) and two tall defenders (Blake and Simpkin).

If you don't play Simpkin, you have to play one of Fisher, Gilbert or Dempster in a role they aren't suited for, that doesn't give us best use for their talents, and they may struggle in. I would rather see Simpkin in for a smaller player, but Dempster and Cripps got pass marks for Sunday, and Geary was one of our better players. Maybe it's time for Dempster to replace Jones in his role, and leave Jones out.

I've said my bit about Raphael Koschitzke.

I didn't mind how Polo played, but he got suspended so that's that. He played the permanent half-forward role Steven and then Armitage played last year.

For those who are saying Siposs' form probably doesn't warrant a game, I was at Eureka Stadium on Sunday, watching the boys run around, and personally I thought he was our best player when he went down. He was creating run and taking the game on.
In saying this though, I seriously can't see him getting up for the game this weekend. I did the same thing to my knee last year, was able to play but only around 70 percent. I got through about 10 games before the pain got too much and took 3 weeks off to let the bruising go away fully.
I'd say being in an AFL environment, they won't risk him this weekend at all. But who knows, it may not be that bad.

I just dont see a problem with keeping him at VFL level for a while, while Milera is having a good run at VFL.
I don't doubt that Milera will have a form dip at some point ( hopefully later rather than sooner ).

Siposs isn't really a key position alternative to Kosi, and he's not a clearance winner either.

Its just great that we have a couple of medium forwards to choose from after all these years.

Aaron Hammil 2006 ( 9 games - back in 2 weeks ).
2007 ???? anyone???? did CJ play in the pocket at times?
2008 Charlie Gardiner
2009 No-one
2010 Still no-one
2011 Ryan Gamble?? eeew, SIpppppooooo.

I could see two medium forwards playing eventually ( add Dunell to the mix) , but I think they need to add a bit of physicality first. ( Mind you Port's talls all looked like a garden full of stringbeans ).

I said it last year and will say again this year, the opposition have a extra man in their forward line as they they dont care about gilbert they know if he gets the ball they have a better then even chance of reloading and kicking the goal. Fifty percent accuracy in the back line is a receipt for disaster. He cant play in the forward line as everyone discovered in the grand final.In hindsight he should of been traded at the end of 09,he is worth next to nothing now prehaps gws might take a chance on him but i doubt it. He is a liability, the better the opposition the bigger the liability.

I said it last year and will say again this year, the opposition have a extra man in their forward line as they they dont care about gilbert they know if he gets the ball they have a better then even chance of reloading and kicking the goal. Fifty percent accuracy in the back line is a receipt for disaster. He cant play in the forward line as everyone discovered in the grand final.In hindsight he should of been traded at the end of 09,he is worth next to nothing now prehaps gws might take a chance on him but i doubt it. He is a liability, the better the opposition the bigger the liability.

I'm confused here. You are saying that they have a "loose man forward" because they arent bothering to man up on Gilbert who is a defender. :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 v Gold Coast, Sunday Evening @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back