Round 16 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Sunday 10th July 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The only change I'd be making is Duigan for White due to injury.

Can't really justify dropping anyone after a performance like that.

The Dogs have Hall and then plenty of mid sized (height and weight) forwards. We need as many mid sized defenders in, so Duigan comes straight in. Hugely important that we regained Laidler on the weekend as well.

JR was quiet but there's no way he'll be dropped. Tuohy should stay in, didn't star but did enough to keep King relatively quiet.

Thornton to Jones or Grant, Laidler to the other.

Gibbs to play down back on Gia is my tip.

Duigan for white, and let's kill them.

Sounds like a fairly reasonable swap for mine. Given how many changes we have had to make to the team in the past few weeks, I just wonder if the MC will make as few a changes as they have to this week.

Even if Curnow is ready, i'd be very much inclined to give him a run with Bullants, and if he plays well enough, bring him in for the Collingwood game.

Gibbs to play down back on Gia is my tip.

I'd like to see the club use Gibbs as an attacking option this week. Bulldogs strength is in their midfield, and we need to make sure we get as much class in their as we can. We should also have some advantage in the ruck as well, with Hudson having to take on both Kreuzer and Warnock.

Russell (Gia), Henderson (BBBH), Laidler (Grant)
Yarran (Dahlhaus), Thornton (Jones), Duigan (Gilbee)

Duigan going 3rd man up whenever possible.

Carrazz to Griffen, Gibbs to Cooney perhaps.

Hoops to R Murphy, Robinson vs. Boyd.

We had some very average losses last year but the game against the Bulldogs always struck me as the worst! Equal games won with bulldogs, one game outside the top 4 with a home crowd on our side and we were pitiful.

No brainers to bring in are Duigan and Curnow if both are 100% fit.
White will miss and Houlihan/Tuohy should make way.

Doggies were back to their ruthless best against the Dees on Friday night but expect us to make a statement and win by 7-8 goals. Should be a really free flowing and exciting game of football. :thumbsu:

I'd like to see the club use Gibbs as an attacking option this week. Bulldogs strength is in their midfield, and we need to make sure we get as much class in their as we can. We should also have some advantage in the ruck as well, with Hudson having to take on both Kreuzer and Warnock.

I'd back our midfield to break even with theirs, at the very least, without Gibbs in there.

Giansiracusa is in outstanding form at the moment, and the club is clearly content at the moment to use Gibbs as a 'Mr Fix-it' on one of the more dangerous opposition players. And to be honest, as appealing the notion of using Gibbs as an offensive weapon is, if he can shut down a match winner and help us win the game in that way, then I'm all for it. And don't forget - there is every chance that Gia will venture through the midfield at some stage, so Gibbs could be running through there anyway.

You are right about the ruck match ups. Hudson is solid but Warnock and Kreuzer should be too good for him. Wouldn't surprise me if they recalled Minson/Roughead as backup.

Got no problem with you logic there J, but I just reckon we have enough options down back to cover Gia. JR is the most liely option, and should Duigan come back this week, then he could be Plan B.

I just think against sides that don't have that absolute match winner that Gibbs has played on in the past, then we should use him in a more offensive manner. JR certainly is good enough to keep Gia under control.

Carrots to run with Coonz? He looked sharp last week against the Dees.

We had some very average losses last year but the game against the Bulldogs always struck me as the worst! Equal games won with bulldogs, one game outside the top 4 with a home crowd on our side and we were pitiful.

No brainers to bring in are Duigan and Curnow if both are 100% fit.
White will miss and Houlihan/Tuohy should make way.

Doggies were back to their ruthless best against the Dees on Friday night but expect us to make a statement and win by 7-8 goals. Should be a really free flowing and exciting game of football. :thumbsu:
Not so sure about Curnow. He seems to have lost a bit since his shoulder injury - wasn't great aganst Swans - and I'd like to see him work back through the Ants. With a quad, he wouldn't be rushed back anyway.

Don't think Hoops and Touhy warrant dropping either. Hoops was constructive from sub and Touhy looks like he's always been there. I like what he brings to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Duigan------Thornton------Laidler

H: Russell------Henderson----Yarran

C: Scotland-----Gibbs-------Robinson

H: Walker-------Waite------Simpson

F: Garlett------O'hailPin------Betts

RR: Kreuzer, Judd, Murphy

Bench: Warnock, Carrazzo, Ellard, Sub: Houlihan

In: Duigan, O'haiPin
Out: White, Tuohy

Touhy may struggle to hold a spot in the next 2 weeks.

I tend to agree, he's had a taste of it now and we can see that he's got the talent and the tools to be a successful AFL player but he's just not quite ready IMO.

If we weren't challenging for a top 4 spot I'd probably keep playing him for the rest of the season but with Duigan to come back in I don't think Tuohy will be there come finals time.

I really like him and this has been a good development period for him but over the next month or so we may make a change.

Pretty impressed with him though. :thumbsu:

Let's not kid ourselves Duigan has a calf starin and won't play. He will miss 3 weeks (2 more to go). O'halpin still had his bandaged hand on Saturday afternoon and won't play this week.

I think it will be White for Curnow (if fit) or McLean. Need to get another inside player at Etihad.

Houlihan should be used as a permanent sub for the remainder of the year. It suits him and out structure!

Match Up:
Jones - Thornton
Hall - Henderson
Gia - Russell
Grant - Laidler
Coonery - Ellard

At the West Coast game Duigan said he was aiming to return for the Bulldogs game, said he could possibly play against Richmond but they wanted him 100%.

In: Duigan
Out: White

Tuohy did alright on King who had an about par performance for him. Yes he kept him to 9 touches, but King doesn't get much of the ball most weeks either and would average around that anyway. Zach will make way for someone soon enough for our run into finals i would imagine. Definiately doesn't deserve to be dropped but natural selection will soon take its course i feel. The run will do him the world of good and will be massive motivation for next season.

Can't see many if any changes next week, look for Houlihan to get a full run though.

Houlihan should be used as a permanent sub for the remainder of the year. It suits him and out structure!

Would hate to see this. .. Happy to see him play the Sub in the finals but don't want to hurt his match fitness by giving him a quarter each week. .. What if he had to come on in the first quarter, due to injury, after several weeks of sub. .. Shouldn't happen. ..

I'd be looking to have Tuohy as the sub. Nobody has put their hand up for selection in the Ants and any change would be purely for structural purposes.

IN: Duigs, OUT: White

FB Duigan, Henderson, Laidler
HB Yarran, Thornton, Russell
C Simpson, Gibbs, Scotland
HF Robinson, Waite, Garlett
FF Betts, Walker, Houlihan
Foll Warnock, Judd, Murphy

IC Kreuzer, Ellard, Carrazzo, Tuohy (s)

I'm backing our structure down back and would rather the run of an extra midfielder than the questionable form of a tall.

You don't want Bird on the main target. You want him to be able to go off his man as much as possible.

Hendo actually did quite well body on body with Revolt too, only got beat when the forward entries were fast or precise to Jack on a lead. Have faith in Duigan to help him out too ;)

Agree they'll probably try to go tall and bring Roughead in, but those talls aren't of the quality of WCE's and I can see us using our run well.

Boyd/Cross/Griffen/Cooney/Ward vs. Judd/Scotland/Simpson/Murphy/Robinson

Reckon we've got this, comfortably!

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 16 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs @ Etihad Sunday 10th July 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back