Autopsy Round 16, 2024 - Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS an example? They are 10th right now. They have probably improved a tiny bit which I don’t doubt a coach can do.

Collingwood is the prime example but they got daicos for free who is currently a top three player in the game and their senior players still dominate.

I would argue there are plenty of clubs right now where a coaching change hasn’t done a lot. Saints, Essendon, GWS, Richmond, Adelaide, north etc.
Essendon went from 15th in 2022, to 11th last season and are now sitting 4th under Brad Scott...?

Voss at Carlton?

I can only assume Kelly either hasn't fully recovered from injuries or re-aggravated one during the game. Nothing else could excuse that performance. Did not notice him until Hawthorn were 6-7 goals infront.

It was really frustrating to see Mitchell (even at 35-18 in front and dominating most important stats) angry in the coaches box, only for the camera to pan to Simpson looking emotionless and still.

Simpson has zero dog in him anymore, and unfortunately the players are responding in similar fashion on the field. Like most here, I’m all for a new coach at the end of the season.
Yeah it’s pretty clear he’s mentally past it I think. Doesn’t matter how good a coach he actually is, you can see it in his attitude in press conferences and other vision that he doesn’t really give a shit or is over it. No coincidence that it’s exactly how we play.. bland, unimpressive and lacking creativity or fight.

Harley looks good because he’s the only one trying anything different. Gov and TB are just holding back the dam wall every game as well.

There’s not really any coming back from this sort of stale vibe. Every coach hits it. Need some fresh blood to inject some energy into these kids

After this can the MC now please swing the axe next week.
Darling for dewar
Flynn and B.Williams for J.Williams and Barnett
Rotham for Burgiel(despite not quite earning it yet)
Jones for Johnston
Witherden for Culley (and play him in the centre!)
Chesser to half back - let’s move some magnets!

Totally agree
Chesser to the North Beach 2nds

Who says he was unfit? Him being shit doesn’t mean he was unfit. His effort was fine he was just bad.

Im sorry you went through that but pretending each and every person is the same is super dumb. Criticising Simpson for letting yeo choose is just being super desperate to criticise him.
People think Kelly was unfit because he just jogs along in transition when we don't have the ball whilst his man runs forward collecting possessions at will .

Its way better to think he is unfit than being a lazy 1 way runner 🤷‍♂️

Essendon went from 15th in 2022, to 11th last season and are now sitting 4th under Brad Scott...?

Voss at Carlton?
Essendon are a hard read. Wins have gone up but their actual percentage has barely shifted. Not gonna be a real threat with a percentage of 99.

Carltons percentage has trended from 90ish to 120ish over four years which just looks like natural progression of talent to me.

So somone that was at the ground, why were players leaving their man over and over to press the carrier only to have it handballed or kicked over the top to the man they just left?
Is it as simple as no pressure from behind where the tacle pressure should come from so they stop the chain?
are professional footballes to thick to realise what we can see in like 5 minutes?
the effort to be acountable was so crap.
every time they panned out the guy reiciving had no one near him.
Compare that to the risky kicks we were taking in the 1st that got repeatedly hunted and brought back i50.
it may tell you how mad i am about that one that i wouldnt have minded having ****ing ross lyon coaching us today...
i want to say that last parts a joke but fmd.

No second efforts, no capitalisation on Hawks fumbles, can’t keep their feet (can’t blame the surface cos Hawks players did), no chasing down, too many free Hawks when we lost the ball……I could go on but I won’t. If it wasn’t for Guv and TB they would have won by at least 10 goals more…….
Anyway I say there til the end as I always do……

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly picks and chooses when he wants to play/put in

Actually most do.

Only the backline bust a butt but that's coz the balls there the whole game they have no time to relax.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
In the backline the ball comes to you . We have successfully transitioned a few lazy guys to the backline where they can impact .

Jetta and wellingham come to mind .

It also helps with midfielders who struggle to find the ball .

Chesser may end up back there same as ginbey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the backline the ball comes to you . We have successfully transitioned a few lazy guys to the backline where they can impact .

Chesser and ginbey would both make elite backs.

for those going back to 2018, I couldn't give two F^&*'s about 2018.
It was 6 years ago.

Today was putrid.

The only players that get a pass are Yeo because no one should have expected him to be on song with his week, Barrass and Gov because without them we would have been destroyed and had the first ever mercy rule, and Harley who had the highest disposal winner from all our Mids even after 28 days off.
We were the last non Victorian team to win a flag

1 on 1 = Hawks win the contest.
1 Hawk vs 2 Eagles = Eagles make a meal of it, turn it back over when more Hawks arrive at the contest.
2 Hawks vs 1 Eagle = Hawks win the ball, get overlap and move it length of the ground.

We can barely rely on kicking it to any 1v1 contests. Exceptions being Waterman and Reid.

1 on 1 = Hawks win the contest.
1 Hawk vs 2 Eagles = Eagles make a meal of it, turn it back over when more Hawks arrive at the contest.
2 Hawks vs 1 Eagle = Hawks win the ball, get overlap and move it length of the ground.

We can barely rely on kicking it to any 1v1 contests. Exceptions being Waterman and Reid.
1 Hawk vs 2 Eagles? What game were you watching. We probably outnumbered Hawthorn at a contest maybe half a dozen times in the entire game. It was a constant 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 Hawks way.

No way . We are yet to lose by 100pts this season . We lost 7 games by 100+ last season and one at 171 points .

We also beat the purples which is a nice little bonus on the season
Those loses were born from a complete lack of fitness. Today we have a complete lack of desire

Im more worried about this loss then I was the 171 point loss

Negative: We are back to where we were same time last year. So essentially no progress has been made in a year.
Yeah this is what I keep thinking too.

It sucks.

Especially after the Dees win, things felt like turning.

I blame the piss weak performance v Adelaide, that game took us back a million steps

Can we put the whole squad in the backline?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back