Autopsy Round 16, 2024 - Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

No way . We are yet to lose by 100pts this season . We lost 7 games by 100+ last season and one at 171 points .

We also beat the purples which is a nice little bonus on the season
Yeah we have clearly improved

We probably should've beaten Stk and NM with some composure.

Today's game has clouded things

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Both are very athletic but kicking is average.
Chesser was touted as this Rolls Royce when we drafted him with supperb kicking but he must have left that on the Nullarbor
Yeah you are right neither have elite skills thus far that would suggest they would be elite backs.

The issue to me is 100% mostly between the ears and the direction the players are given from the coaches.
When we play with confidence and even a little bit of speed we look OK.
We just have to look at the Richmond, Freo and Melbourne games, even the Essendon game at home as well.

Unlike say Collingwood or the Hawks we have almost no system to anything we are doing at the moment. The coach runs out platitudes like Synergy and effort but there is nothing of substance underneath that. What system are they supposed to be putting effort towards?

What i watched today was a team that didn't have overall higher talent than we did but were much MUCH better drilled in where they needed to be, and the level of effort required for 100% of the game. This has been noticeable for quite a while now.

Well I’ll start by labelling this a “Coach Killer”
-shit disposal after shit disposal after shit disposal !
-WC have a thing about not kicking 15-20 out of defence. Much better to bomb it 50 to…..er?
So many times someone around FB had a short pass up the guts but looked and ignored it.Almost like it’s a slur to short kick.
  • Duggan for Gods sake you are a co captain! MOVE!! You take a mark and stand still! You don’t even look behind you to see what’s coming! If there’s no one for 30-40 m in front of you RUN! Run forward you idiot! Think on your feet; draw players!
  • Hough rhymes with soft doesn’t it? Might be a good stopper but geez he doesn’t go hard when needed!
  • Our skills are appalling .
Hunt? Shit kick! Y is he getting a game? A lot of people on here rate him but other than speed what does he bring to the table ?
-Cole,Duggan,JJ,TK,Witho; just shit disposers of the ball.
We can’t have all of them in the team .
-Get Ryan in the guts full time and put TK in a forward pocket.
-Chesser? Mate you need to start hitting the contest or your not going to make it.
-OA needs to have a look at Kernot. Half the time he just lets every idiot fly in a giant pack and sits at the front roving.Oscar you don’t need to fly for everything; use your not inconsiderable football brain.
-JD probably needs a rest. Bring in younger players.Who?
Does it matter ? Skills skills skills!!! Aarrrggggghhhhhhh!!

The only positive from today was that the team played poorly as a whole.
That is a mindset issue. Post bye fatigue perhaps.
Hawks came in fired up and got better as the game went on.
As long as we dont lose Gov, I'm reasonably confident we'll see an improved performance against the Demons.

No way . We are yet to lose by 100pts this season . We lost 7 games by 100+ last season and one at 171 points .

We also beat the purples which is a nice little bonus on the season

The team that beat the Dockers has disappeared so forget that win ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would be happy to move Simpson on over the offseason if we were getting a high quality replacement. As long as they were going to play youth more than Simpson has.

The problem is the new coach will likely be a downgrade.

A downgrade on what? We are a joke of a football club right now. The team is a joke, we play a tired, stale, boring, soft, pathetic game style, keep getting told we are rebuilding where no rebuilding has even started and fed crap by the coach after each ten goal loss about learnings, synergy and work rate…

David noble couldn’t do a worse job than this bloke currently steering the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negative: We are back to where we were same time last year. So essentially no progress has been made in a year.
Except we've had 3 very good wins at home and a few close losses, but still the random blow-out, but there is a small improvement overall.
We got smashed by a better team in every which way, after coming in sluggish from a bye, with a couple of underdone midfielders, OA underdone, Flynn same.
We got sliced+diced by what is clearly a top 8 side who exposed our game flaws and player's weaknesses/skills by a coach who had some inside knowledge lets say.

We'll probably resume some intent again sooner than later.
Another anomaly game. Look at our goalscorers, our midfield was targeted and smashed by a group collective. Great coaching, great teamwork.

Keep calm I say, the coach-sacking business will take care of itself anyway.
Yes, it was depressing, many thought we'd come back fired up post bye and after the last 2 losses.
We'll regroup and stagger on towards another draft and closer to the coach problem being resolved...we have little choice?
(Do the players really lack commitment or intensity or run, or does it just look like that? Were they flat and disinterested or gassed from trying to maintain poor gameplan while simultaneously getting ripped apart by the oppo? More like a sense of hopelessness, despair and frustration, and you still have to keep banging your head against a wall. Maybe what appears as a lack of commitment and intent is the realisation in real time that the game plan isn't working?)

Last edited:
I would be happy to move Simpson on over the offseason if we were getting a high quality replacement. As long as they were going to play youth more than Simpson has.

The problem is the new coach will likely be a downgrade.
How the actual **** do you know?
Are you in a TARDIS?

Ffs you're your pissing into the wind arguing against 3 to 4 years of poor attitude and poor performances and one of the worst win loss records in history. Worse than Fitzroy.
9 wins out of 65 games is not even horrendous it's ****ing woeful.

Any coach will do better than this ****ing Muppet right now because one thing will happen and that is he will be different to Simpson who is lost and has no answers and has admitted that himself after the north game.

Get your head out of your arse and wake up to the fact he's a lame duck.
He is admitting it every time he coaches and sits there with the dumbfounded look on his face and doesn't do anything goal after opposition goal.

The best thing for himself is to walk away with the last skerrick of dignity he has and resign this week and work out a deal with the eagles and depart.

Go back to north and be Clarkson's assistant or something where he belongs.

Let us move on from this debacle of an era that he has resided over with this once great club and proud club who competed all the time and has brought us to a rabble of a side where not even the captain in Allen could be bothered chasing.

Simpson has brought us to a place where we accept we won't ****ing win and won't compete on a regular basis and that it's not his fault or responsibility.
We are surprised when we have wins like we have against freo and Melbourne. Why are we surprised? Because of where he's brought us to.

These are mostly the same players that played so well against these 2 teams, one of them sitting in third spot and we were "surprised".

WHY?

because we are used to and expect us losing ffs.

That's where we ****ing are and you are defending simpson?

Gtfo of here.

Yeah we have clearly improved

We probably should've beaten Stk and NM with some composure.

Today's game has clouded things

We've 'improved' because we don't have 24 guys on the injury list this year. And thank Christ McGovern and Barrass exist or we definitely would've had multiple 100 pointers by now...that poor backline..or midfield is making them age 10 years in a single season with their piss poor work rate.

Sadly I don't think the attitude's gonna change until we get a fresh voice and outlook in that coaches box. The players have gotten comfortable with putting in sub par efforts for zero consequences.

We've 'improved' because we don't have 24 guys on the injury list this year. And thank Christ McGovern and Barrass exist or we definitely would've had multiple 100 pointers by now...that poor backline..or midfield is making them age 10 years in a single season with their piss poor work rate.

Sadly I don't think the attitude's gonna change until we get a fresh voice and outlook in that coaches box. The players have gotten comfortable with putting in sub par efforts for zero consequences.
yes I agree.

The longer the injury list stays low the better off we are

you can't tell me you weren't feeling optimistic after we beat Melbourne?

We were looking refreshed and exciting.

Anyway... it was actually 3 wins from 6 games in reality in that period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back