Autopsy Round 16 2024 – Adelaide Crows v GWS Giants, Saturday June 29, 7.30pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Aleer copped a bath today.
Brown isn't the same player post suspension.
So athletic, but can't catch or kick it at the moment. After 5 or 6 games he was in all AA form, right now he is most likely to be dropped.
Ward still does his good stuff well. Seeing more and more of father time catching up where he tries to get free but isn't, and turns it over.

Bedford as a tagger is good, but downside is we see less of Kelly at the bounce,.
Same time, we have had the extra down back, so one short in the contest, that hasn't worked IMO.

Thought Cogs and Perryman were clearly rusty, yet at moments. Cumming was terrific given how long he has been out.

The most irritating part is that we see glimpses of magic but they can’t bring it for four quarters.

The so called experts will once again look at Whitfield’s stats and think he had a good game, but in reality he had a stinker turning the ball over countless times.

Callum Brown has been virtually invisible since returning from suspension.

I’ve been saying it all year so at least my expectations are tempered at this point, but with the exception of the wins against Collingwood and Brisbane, we have not looked like a serious team.

Looks like this senior group had their chance last year, and didn’t make the most of it.
They are not hungry enough this year.

On a different note. Joe Fonti will be a player. Has speed and uses it well. Not scared to take on a tackler. Shows very good competitiveness. Fresh into the system but look out for him next year.

Poor Aleer copped a bath today.
Brown isn't the same player post suspension.
So athletic, but can't catch or kick it at the moment. After 5 or 6 games he was in all AA form, right now he is most likely to be dropped.
Ward still does his good stuff well. Seeing more and more of father time catching up where he tries to get free but isn't, and turns it over.

Bedford as a tagger is good, but downside is we see less of Kelly at the bounce,.
Same time, we have had the extra down back, so one short in the contest, that hasn't worked IMO.

Thought Cogs and Perryman were clearly rusty, yet at moments. Cumming was terrific given how long he has been out.

Aleer is still very inexperienced and it’s going to take some time. The good thing is he’s getting games and gaining valuable game time.

The Bedford one is interesting. He really looks an elite tagger but with him doing that it nullifies him in attack and he’s our fastest guy? I think Kingers should only use him sparingly in that role until we inject some more attacking armoury. We desperately need young Darcy Jones back in, he’s electric and adds so much spark.

I really like the look of McMullin, he’s high energy and adds pressure. Pressure is our one wood and it hasn’t been as good as it was early in the year.

Looks like this senior group had their chance last year, and didn’t make the most of it.
They are not hungry enough this year.

On a different note. Joe Fonti will be a player. Has speed and uses it well. Not scared to take on a tackler. Shows very good competitiveness. Fresh into the system but look out for him next year.
I agree. And his hands, contested marking, he’s going to be good. Leake too, I’ve only seen a little of him, but already enough to say he will be a quality player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kornes is becoming one of the best media people in the game. Perryman should be dropped. Idun is probably our only defender I have confidence in this season. Bucks has been patchy, Sam's form has not been what it was last year. HH I think has been better than most others think but he still down on last year, he really needs the right match up to play his role well. Whitfield does not defend. For Cumming to play his first game of the year that well, off the back of minimal VFL game time and no preseason shows how average some of the others are tracking.

I don't think Kingsley likes X. Bit of a personality clash.

If Kingsley's going down the path of choosing his 'favourites', then we are in a lot more trouble than we think and perhaps behind the scenes is not as happy as the Social Media team portrays.

We are not playing as a team.

Something is definitely up with so many supposed top liners out of form.

If Kingsley's going down the path of choosing his 'favourites', then we are in a lot more trouble than we think and perhaps behind the scenes is not as happy as the Social Media team portrays.

We are not playing as a team.

Something is definitely up with so many supposed top liners out of form.
I think Kingsley actually doesn't always get the team he wants. Jason McCartney overrules him sometimes.

Fox AFL website on the run home thinks we come 11th now. Pick 8.

Reminder: this is all purely speculation. :D

Sometimes some of these off-hand comments take a life of their own on here and end up being treated as gospel.

With these selection things that seem odd to the fans it is often that they not doing something that has been asked of them that is not immediately obvious to the fans.
The old not doing the role they are asked to perform.
Or alternatively, overall player X (pun intended) despite being better overall than another player is not as good as doing whatever job the coach has in mind.

As for favourites, every person on the planet has biases, including AFL coaches.

Don’t agree with everything David King says here, but I do think our team and coaching staff have taken the foot off the accelerator in recent weeks

King ultimately believes the Giants getting the Rankine planning so wrong “reeks of arrogance”.

“They are a team in free fall at the moment and shouldn’t be,” he said.

“They’re much better than what they’re showing us, where they were after the first five or six weeks to where they are now

Don’t agree with everything David King says here, but I do think our team and coaching staff have taken the foot off the accelerator in recent weeks

Interesting how the 'commentariat' are finally saying what many posters on this forum have been suggesting for the past 2 months.

Whilst we haven't all agreed on the why and how to fix it (and that's a good thing!), finally at least there's some analysis with vision, often from angles we don't see, that gives us supporters of the club a better understanding of what is actually happening on the field, good and bad.

We've largely been given a free ride by the media this year, partly because of the general obscurity we operate in but also because of the winning start we had to the year. However, we've now fallen so badly that it's getting noticed, and the public criticism will hopefully jolt the playing group into action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back