Preview Round 16 2024 – Adelaide Crows v GWS Giants, Saturday June 29, 7.30pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the emergence of Aleer and the recent omission of Cadman, I wonder if there's any thought to sending Himmelberg forward again once Taylor is back. As a pure 'defensive' defender I think Leek is the better player, but they obviously like Harry's work as a distributor coming out of the back half.

With the emergence of Aleer and the recent omission of Cadman, I wonder if there's any thought to sending Himmelberg forward again once Taylor is back.

That thought has some merit considering Himmelberg was sent forward in the 4th quarter.

The more matches I see, the more it concerns me having Ash and Himmelberg down back at the same time.

Their disposals often don't hit their intended target and that total lack of communication when neither went for the ball and allowed a Swans player to take possession, then one disposal later a long goal from the 50.

Something's gotta change soon and your idea I reckon is excellent.

With the emergence of Aleer and the recent omission of Cadman, I wonder if there's any thought to sending Himmelberg forward again once Taylor is back. As a pure 'defensive' defender I think Leek is the better player, but they obviously like Harry's work as a distributor coming out of the back half.
Aleer is a much better defender but I think would rely on Bucks taking on more responsibility as a distributor. Aleer’s disposal by foot is probably on par with Briggs, Taylor is reliable although not much risk. We haven’t really seen what bucks can do but he started in the AFL on the wing so disposal must be better than we get exposure too on a weekly basis where he doesn’t accumulate many touches

That thought has some merit considering Himmelberg was sent forward in the 4th quarter.

The more matches I see, the more it concerns me having Ash and Himmelberg down back at the same time.

Their disposals often don't hit their intended target and that total lack of communication when neither went for the ball and allowed a Swans player to take possession, then one disposal later a long goal from the 50.

Something's gotta change soon and your idea I reckon is excellent.
For a guy who has been in the system for 10 years, and is a seasoned body, I can’t believe how much HH panics when he doesn’t have a lot of time to distribute the ball. I agree re the non-communication with Ash. That was significant in the second quarter. We lost so much confidence and the Swans played with the utmost.

I thought Ash played on Wicks?
I watched back the first quarter after all this talk of Angwin playing wing. He was in D50 and ended up on number 15 (wicks?) regularly. They do swap around a fair bit but Angwin was always working back to D50 even if there was a stoppage on the wing.

Cumming is best 22, when he is fit he will be straight in. Understands the game plan, very important in the defensive zone as he is good overhead and kicks long.
I do think he will come back into first grade, but given his long layoff, and several players coming back after injury, I just suspect they won't rush someone ... and it would seem likely to be between either he (as the longest layoff) or Darcy Jones (as a kid who's had a few setbacks). I might be wrong and he does come straight back in along with the other 3!

in my view, we are a better side with Himmelberg over Aleer (assuming we have Buckley and Taylor playing)
Himmelberg is a good third man up defender and is better at launching the attack.
Aleer is probably a better 1 on 1 defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cumming is best 22, when he is fit he will be straight in. Understands the game plan, very important in the defensive zone as he is good overhead and kicks long.

Whats 22+ sub to allow Cumming in the side and where does he play?

I’ve got him 8th defender and 4 winger and therefore missing the 23. Very good backup though

Assuming everyone’s testicles, bar slammer’s, are in order this is the side I’d go with:

Idun Buckley Whitfield
Pez Alleer Ash
Cumming Kelly Callaghan
Greene Ricca Brown
Daniels Hogan Bedford
Briggs Green Cogs

XOH Gru Ward Thomas
Sub: Jones

Cumming in for Angwin. Angwin, McMullin, Peatling and Thomas can keep building in the twos.

We have enough guys who can kick from the back half now, so HH can go back and improve his contest work. Send a good message to the rest of the team.

Jones hits the scoreboard a bit more, and we do need that.

So,
In: Cogs, Pez, Cumming, Jones
Out: Angwin, Peatling, McMullin, HH

We have enough guys who can kick from the back half now, so HH can go back and improve his contest work. Send a good message to the rest of the team.

Nice post, Giant Pete.

Even though I don't think HH should be the one dropped, I do agree that it's time Kingsley does something like this now that there's competition again for spots due to fewer injuries.

Nice post, Giant Pete.

Even though I don't think HH should be the one dropped, I do agree that it's time Kingsley does something like this now that there's competition again for spots due to fewer injuries.
I noted in the most recent "Inside the Giants" video there was post game footage of Kingsley talking about the guys who made too many mistakes to essentially "fix it". That could be subtle hint of competition for spots becoming a factor.

Assuming everyone’s testicles, bar slammer’s, are in order this is the side I’d go with:

That's a "ballsy" call.

I don't disagree that sending a message to some players is worthwhile - and I would include HH in that - but given how Kingers likes to set up his backline, I doubt it happens for this game.

Perhaps if Sam is back the following week, then dropping HH rather than Aleer could send that message. Just a thought. I suspect HH keeps his spot (barring injury of course).

HB: Idun, Buckley, Himmelberg
B: Ash, Aleer, Whitfield
C: XOH, Green, Callaghan
HF: Daniels, Riccardi, Bedford
F: Greene, Hogan, Brown
R: Briggs, Cogs, Kelly
IC: Perryman, Ward, Gruz, Thomas
Sub: Peatling

I think don't expect we'll try and rush too many players back at once. Cogs and Pez will be fantastic ins, Cumming can have another week in the VFL to work his way up to playing full minutes. I think Peatling is still our best option for sub, both in terms of versatility and impact.

That's a "ballsy" call.

I don't disagree that sending a message to some players is worthwhile - and I would include HH in that - but given how Kingers likes to set up his backline, I doubt it happens for this game.

Perhaps if Sam is back the following week, then dropping HH rather than Aleer could send that message. Just a thought. I suspect HH keeps his spot (barring injury of course).
I think you’re right. I just think Harry slides under the radar.

They will be a better team with Walker back in.
I expect they will come out strong despite their position and various issues.

That said, we need to show we're a serious team.

Would be quite happy to not win another game and grab pick 5. Despite all our rebuilding, we have still got bugger all decent midfielders, bar Soligo and Dawson.
I've returned my seats for this game, we have had no match for GWS for ages it seems.

Would be quite happy to not win another game and grab pick 5. Despite all our rebuilding, we have still got bugger all decent midfielders, bar Soligo and Dawson.
I've returned my seats for this game, we have had no match for GWS for ages it seems.
Hopefully our team can gratefully accept your pessimism!

Idun Buckley Whitfield
Pez Alleer Ash
Cumming Kelly Callaghan
Greene Ricca Brown
Daniels Hogan Bedford
Briggs Green Cogs

XOH Gru Ward Thomas
Sub: Jones

Cumming in for Angwin. Angwin, McMullin, Peatling and Thomas can keep building in the twos.

Jones hits the scoreboard a bit more, and we do need that.

So,
In: Cogs, Pez, Cumming, Jones
Out: Angwin, Peatling, McMullin, HH
Would Cumming then need to be on the bench and rotating through defence or would Ward be doing it off the bench?

My differing opinion is that HH keeps his spot as part of the 7 defenders a instead of Cumming. He does give a different look in defence to HH but maintains the disposals exiting D50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back