Preview Round 16 2024 – Adelaide Crows v GWS Giants, Saturday June 29, 7.30pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GREATER Western Sydney coach Adam Kingsley remains confident the Giants can still contend for the premiership even after Sydney dismantled them by 27 points at Engie Stadium. Despite the Giants' fifth loss in their past seven matches and an up-close view of the benchmark, Kingsley has backed his side to match it with the ladder leaders and stay in the premiership race. "Absolutely. Very confident," Kingsley said on whether the Giants are still in contention. "We got beaten by clearly the best team in the competition and they're going to be the ones that everyone has to beat. But again, I'm really confident in the way that we played. I thought we fought hard, we've got some players to come back, who knows what's possible."

Someone did the maths in another thread, and reckoned 5 wins from here would get us to finals. (Actually, they said: win all home games and one away; but I think we'll drop at least one at home, so probably needs at least 2 away wins.) Adelaide has to be one of the games we target for an away win. The Crows started the season - similar to us - as a media favourite to make finals, but their season has just not taken off, and they sit in fourth last position with 4 wins and a draw. Although this is a home game for them, the recent run of form between our clubs sits in our favour. Coming off the bye, their record is absolutely 50-50 (5 wins 5 losses in last 10 years), so hopefully us having 3 games under our belt stands us in good stead.

The second quarter capitulation against Swans was obviously horrendous - and mirrors our deepest flaw this year, which is an inability to stop a run of goals against us. But for the other three quarters, we scrapped hard, and if we can bottle that aspect of our play, we'll certainly be in with a good shot against Adelaide. Incidentally, their scoreline against the Swans in the week prior to the bye was 67-109, so a touch worse than our loss (despite getting off to a fantastic start against them). We will have to watch our start, as we are often slow out of the blocks.

We are still down on personnel, with Sam Taylor the biggest missing piece. But the Giants expect vice-captain Stephen Coniglio, as well as Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and Darcy Jones to be available for selection next week. "I would expect 'Cogs' to be fit," Kingsley said. "He got through training, no problems, just wasn't 100 per cent confident without the same level of contact (in training). I'm unsure if we'll see all 4 slot into the team - that's a lot of players coming off injury at once. Perhaps Cogs (because we need the midfield grunt) & Pez, who haven't been out that long. Maybe Darcy Jones to sub, to inject his speed later in the game. And Cumming to have another VFL game to build up fitness.

I'd really love us to stamp some authority on this game and have a strong away win ... but I'd just like to see us win, to be honest.

OK, those are my thoughts. What are yours?

Changes assuming those 4 players mentioned are available:

Perryman for Ash (omitted or sub)
Coniglio for Ward (to interchange)
Angwin - omitted
Peatling as sub - possibly omitted for Ash

Knowing the Giants, by Wednesday we'll be told there's another serious injury.......

Last edited:
Edit: It's that time of the year where if a player is not performing, patience will have to wear thin.

Apart from Taylor, there's no one on the Injury List who is an instant 'in' for first grade.

So it's back to playing for your spot.

Don't look at the weather forecast, don't look at the weather forecast.

Looks at the weather forecast Showers in Adelaide.

Another wet weather game. 😩

On the plus side, we'll have our wet weather game play down pat by seasons end.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

Angwin - omitted

Knowing the Giants, by Wednesday we'll be told there's another serious injury.......
Ash is best 22 in Kingers scheme, so that won't happen.
Angwin and Peatling are definitely vulnerable. Perhaps McMullin will come out for Jones, if he's ready.

Angwin - omitted

So many testicles that could be injured..

So who will Bedford tag this week?

I'm leaning towards Rankine, although Rachele is a possibility despite being very inconsistent.

A far easier task compared to the Swans.

Also, Ash might be in Kingsley's best 22 at the moment.

I suggest that this is based only on the Injury List and those returning from injury.

Cumming and Perryman I consider better players than Ash.

A reason to be confident is that we have won the last 4 games against Adelaide, our best ever winning streak against Adelaide in our history. Kingsley has won both the games against Adelaide last year, and will have fond memories of his victorious coaching debut against Adelaide!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A reason to be confident is that we have won the last 4 games against Adelaide, our best ever winning streak against Adelaide in our history. Kingsley has won both the games against Adelaide last year, and will have fond memories of his victorious coaching debut against Adelaide!
Any time our club thinks we ‘should’ win…

Also, Ash might be in Kingsley's best 22 at the moment.

I suggest that this is based only on the Injury List and those returning from injury.

Cumming and Perryman I consider better players than Ash.

Last season cumming lost his spot in the back 7 and was moved to the midfield group in pre season to train on the wing. He is playing VFL on the wing.

Cumming needs to displace a mid to get a game or hope he squeezes in as sub.

He isn’t replacing Ash in defence the best back 7 for the last 12 months when available is Taylor/buckley/HH/idun/whitfield/perryman/ash and it’s not changing now

Last season cumming lost his spot in the back 7 and was moved to the midfield group in pre season to train on the wing. He is playing VFL on the wing.

Cumming needs to displace a mid to get a game or hope he squeezes in as sub.

He isn’t replacing Ash in defence the best back 7 for the last 12 months when available is Taylor/buckley/HH/idun/whitfield/perryman/ash and it’s not changing now

Angwin is the blindingly obvious out for Cumming.

It's possible that Cogs returning to the midfield, pushes Callaghan back to a wing role, and Angwin out of the team.
Perryman replaces McMullin then. Because, essentially, we didn't carry a spare back in the Swans game.
Jones to sub, pushing Peatling out. Alternatively, he could come into the team, likely in place of Harvey Thomas.

FB [39] Connor Idun, [44] Jack Buckley, [27] Harry Himmelberg
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [21] Leek Aleer, [7] Lachie Ash
C [33] Xavier O’Halloran, [12] Tom Green, [17] Finn Callaghan
HF [16] Brent Daniels, [5] Jake Riccardi, [46] Callum M. Brown
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [14] Toby Bedford
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [22] Josh Kelly

IC [28] Harvey Thomas [8] Callan Ward, [36] Harry Perryman, [35] Max Gruzewski

Sub: [2] Darcy Jones

It's possible that Cogs returning to the midfield, pushes Callaghan back to a wing role, and Angwin out of the team.
Perryman replaces McMullin then. Because, essentially, we didn't carry a spare back in the Swans game.
Jones to sub, pushing Peatling out. Alternatively, he could come into the team, likely in place of Harvey Thomas.

FB [39] Connor Idun, [44] Jack Buckley, [27] Harry Himmelberg
HB [6] Lachie Whitfield, [21] Leek Aleer, [7] Lachie Ash
C [33] Xavier O’Halloran, [12] Tom Green, [17] Finn Callaghan
HF [16] Brent Daniels, [5] Jake Riccardi, [46] Callum M. Brown
FF [4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [14] Toby Bedford
FOL [32] Kieren Briggs, [3] Stephen Coniglio, [22] Josh Kelly

IC [28] Harvey Thomas [8] Callan Ward, [36] Harry Perryman, [35] Max Gruzewski

Sub: [2] Darcy Jones
Angwin was playing in defence so straight swap for Perryman.

That’s the team I’d pick for the crows.

Send snooze to Dawson

Is Bedford a chance to miss? With no need for a tag is he behind Thomas as a forward now? His field kicking on the weekend was tough to watch. Harvey is much more effective with his entries (eye test)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back