Preview Round 15, 2024: St Kilda vs The Bye

Will we defeat the bye ?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. First time poster first time reader. Here since the lovely Brian Oblivion invited us over from the Swans vs GWS thread. If you missed the alert, go check it out! It is a lot of fun

Anyway, Saints vs the bye. It is an interesting one as the bye is sometimes an opponent people will lax off against. Treating it almost as a rest game. Now that method works for some clubs but not all.

I am really keen to see King play closer to goal to help mitigate his accuracy issues. He is a great mark so that will take care of itself. I also want to see the flash and dare that you had against the Pies earlier in the season. Combine that with the scoring of last week and you might course correct for the season!

Saints by 33 this week though is my tip

1023547.png

Round 16 Team

B. Wilkie Keeler Windhager

H.B. NWM Caminiti Sinclair

C. Henry Clark Wood

H.F. Butler Battle  Hall

F. Higgins King Owens

Foll. Marshall Steele Dow

I/C. Campbell, Hill, Schoenmaker, Wilson, Garcia-sub

Outs. Bonner, Cordy, Jones, Ross,

My tip is that we draw with the bye this week but then, three days later, the AFL overturn the umpires decision as to when the game finished and removes two points from the saints.

Mark my words, we will get no points this round, which will prove I am right. Don’t believe what they tell you to!

Well, at the midpoint of the season my thoughts are:

1) It's the most disappointed I've probably ever been (only been supporting like ~15 years mind you) at the bye round; allowing for where we think the list is at vs performance; but

2) If you take the senior list and sort by age and the read from Max King on down I've probably never been more hopeful about the young talent we have coming through; it could be an absolutely devastating group about ~3 years from now.

2) If you take the senior list and sort by age and the read from Max King on down I've probably never been more hopeful about the young talent we have coming through; it could be an absolutely devastating group about ~3 years from now.
Due to my constant and simmering outrage at the draft candy handed out every halloween to North and Gold Coast the past few years, I've done a bit of digging on high draft picks across our club and a few others today.

FYI - the gold coast side we played 2 weeks ago fielded TEN top 10 draft picks in their 23. Absolute equine faeces if you ask me, that one side can be handed riches for the better part of two decades and STILL be so sh!t.

Anyway, on your comment above - we will likely never see an embarassment of riches again like the one that led us to the 09/10 era dominance. The kids we brought through from 1998 onwards were absolutely mouth watering.

I'm hopeful on this group we have now, but to say I've never been more hopeful isn't true. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they reach the heights of Riewoldt et al.

At this point of the season I am pleased that RTB has been adventerous enough to try different players, and tried some in different roles and tried different combinations ie Campbell in the ruck which changed the dynamics of the mids and the forwards and freed up Romo, to do what he does best, around the ground. He has done this whilst keeping us competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to my constant and simmering outrage at the draft candy handed out every halloween to North and Gold Coast the past few years, I've done a bit of digging on high draft picks across our club and a few others today.

FYI - the gold coast side we played 2 weeks ago fielded TEN top 10 draft picks in their 23. Absolute equine faeces if you ask me, that one side can be handed riches for the better part of two decades and STILL be so sh!t.

Anyway, on your comment above - we will likely never see an embarassment of riches again like the one that led us to the 09/10 era dominance. The kids we brought through from 1998 onwards were absolutely mouth watering.

I'm hopeful on this group we have now, but to say I've never been more hopeful isn't true. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they reach the heights of Riewoldt et al.
I think it's telling that our best two performed 'first year players' and most comfortable Wilson and Nas were both taken in years after we made finals.

Sometimes being mid draft or middle of the rounds gives you some flexibility to take some risks ie Nas or wait for the slider, ie Wilson.

Both to me look like being all australians sooner rather then later.

Well, at the midpoint of the season my thoughts are:

1) It's the most disappointed I've probably ever been (only been supporting like ~15 years mind you) at the bye round; allowing for where we think the list is at vs performance; but

I was the same till our injury list blew up at which piont l figured we were screwed.
This is definitely the best youth quality since the early 2000's and that's roundly backed by pundits.
Since I'm not attached to W/L this year I'm just looking for growth and l see plenty of it but the putrid game style atm is underselling where we're at. That too will change with time, RTB is astute and aware the game has evolved.

I think it's telling that our best two performed 'first year players' and most comfortable Wilson and Nas were both taken in years after we made finals.

Sometimes being mid draft or middle of the rounds gives you some flexibility to take some risks ie Nas or wait for the slider, ie Wilson.

Nas, Pou and Wilson were all last picked of their respective top talant pools. If we can land Lalor this year l would say our luck has well and truly changed.

You peeps probs think / know I’m crazy - but I think we are only 2 years away ….. things can change fast

Nas, Pou and Wilson were all last picked of their respective top talant pools. If we can land Lalor this year l would say our luck has well and truly changed.

It's not luck. We were self inflicted.

You peeps probs think / know I’m crazy - but I think we are only 2 years away ….. things can change fast

This should be the time line. Not years down the track. If Ross doesn't think he can do it get someone who can.

Looking toward Port next week, I think we have to keep running that 2 ruck combo.

Don’t care who the 2nd ruck is but I think it did a great job of keeping Marshall fresh/dangerous and we never really fell away for the big patches in the clearance battle like we usually do this year.

Didn’t Gold Coasts reserves have a similar number of first round picks when we played them?

Last edited:
Looking toward Port next week, I think we have to keep running that 2 ruck combo.

Don’t care who the 2nd ruck is but I think it did a great job of keeping Marshall fresh/dangerous and we never really fell away for the big patches in the clearance battle like we usually do this year.
It will be interesting to see what they do for the rest of the year. Even seeing Caminiti spend some time in defence last match made me think they might try a few different things until the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back