Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got the financial stuff completely wrong. He was a high school teacher early in his career playing VFL on the side. Absolute max that would've been $100k combined (you can get better money in country footy or Ammos than VFL normally).

As a draftee at pick 36 he gets $110k base plus $4k per AFL game so would be on $118k already. I'm 99% sure there are also smaller VFL match payments for AFL listed players but I can't find details on that. There are also generous allowances on relocations and the club cover many more random expenses like meals than a high school would.

Worst case for him if he's delisted at the end of 2025 is he'll have been probably $70k better off over the 2 years. Not a massive windfall but better than a kick in the teeth and in no way is he worse off now than previously.
and he wont have to do parent teacher interviews. As a teacher myself I'd take that deal every day of the week.

The big issue with Neale is his competitiveness.
He has all the physical traits but lacks self belief.
Perhaps was told not to compete against Hawkins.
Currently he is playing soft, like a gentle giant
He appears reluctant to use his physical strength.
Due to being penalised when he bodied opponents
Confused, as opponents allowed to push him around
Umpires are usually harsh on precocious rookies
This usually resolves over time with experience.
Cats must work to accelerate his learning curve.
Coaches to assist with mindset and mental game.
Hopefully the responsibility of being KPF will help
Also will benefit from physical nature of ruck work
Scott must instruct teammates to target KPF Neale
To encourage and acknowledge acts of aggression
Ultimately it will be up to himself to step up
Ironically, failure is the best teacher,
Football gives the test first and lesson after.
Trust, Neale will come good, sooner than later

Last edited:
Last 4 games for the cats TDK and Grundy arguably best on ground. Before that Nankervis had 51 hitouts , and before that Briggs 23 touches and 44 hitouts

The ruck role is not overrated when they come up against us. Any decent ruckman turns into a match winner it’s very concerning
Yeah fair.

But in those games our ruck has been SDK against Carlton, Stanley against Sydney, and Conway against Richmond and GWS. So, based on that small sample, we've tried 3 different options and they've all been bad. It's not like we've got a world beater in the VFL, what are we supposed to do?

Yeah fair.

But in those games our ruck has been SDK against Carlton, Stanley against Sydney, and Conway against Richmond and GWS. So, based on that small sample, we've tried 3 different options and they've all been bad. It's not like we've got a world beater in the VFL, what are we supposed to do?

Play Conway and rest him for Stanley when he needs. Dont see why it’s such a difficult conundrum

It might be that Neale is not a pack contested mark player? Much like the King boys I think he is a 200cm fast mark on the lead type?

For us short a….. it seems like a waste (“if I was 200cm I would….”) but it is what it is? Maybe.

I hope you are right and it is a confidence and role thing and we unleash a beast now…. But if he is just a lead up player then maybe we need to play to that strength and leave crashing packs to Rohan and big and slender OllieS?

Ok. So what I want to see at the bounce tomorrow…

Centre line.

Knevitt. Holmes. Dempsey

Followers.

SDK. Dangerfield. Stewart

Humphries starting on half back flank. Happy to have Blitz start in backline.

Sub. Duncan

The future looks okay with that line up too. Bruhn and Clark to add to the starting followers in the next couple of years (perhaps also Bailey Smith).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok. So what I want to see at the bounce tomorrow…

Centre line.

Knevitt. Holmes. Dempsey

Followers.

SDK. Dangerfield. Stewart

Humphries starting on half back flank. Happy to have Blitz start in backline.

Sub. Duncan

CS said in his presser that the coaching staff have been very happy with the role Knevitt has been asked to play in the VFL. He's been playing on the ball, not on a wing, so I think we'll likely see him in there this weekend. At least I hope we do.

Maybe, but it is mystifying for onlookers who are keen and emotional for his chance, given form.
For all the reasons you gave, the Club knows what it's doing-and it's investment. There's not much leeway position wise, and there is balance to consider. He was thrown in earlier to try and impress, played well but displayed errors. It's not unusual to blood players in the VFL, our way- if you look at our past players, albeit a bit younger than Shaun. Patience, grasshopper.

What form? Mannagh hasn't set the VFL alight. Knevitt, Humphries, Clohesy, Hardie, Conway are all well ahead of him on form. He played deep forward on the weekend and had almost no impact. Others, myself included, have said he's looked good when injected into the midfield, but clearly the club wants him in a different role. On current form he doesn't deserve a promotion.

Conway named FF in the VFL for anyone saying “oh he wasn’t picked because he’s injured”
People were throwing around the idea Conway was injured a week or so ago and he simply wasn't.

So Stanley goes out and we rest a fit Conway in the last 2 weeks to play Blicavs / SDK in non preferred positions. I know we're trying to win games, but you'd think Conway would've learned alot last week against TDK and this week against Goldstein. And I'm not sure it would've meant we played any worse?

Weird.

Agreed, definitely not a ruckman.

I wasn't suggesting a fear of the role. I'm of the belief he has a fear of physicality atm, and it's holding him back. Rucking involves a lot of body on body, so it was never going to be something he'd relish, unlike his brother.

Maybe it sparked something in him. Hopefully it did. But I'd prefer to see him playing defense again rather than being monstered by Goldie and Draper.

But we have problems with Conway and Stanley, and Blitz is poor atm, so hands are tied somewhat I guess.
Yeah you're right. It all comes back to the confidence thing, which has seemed off ever since that facial injury last year. I'm not sure what the solution is and I guess the MC had reached that point too. However ruck you really need to be up for it, the physicality is constant. He did end up getting involved but it was hard not to be left with the impression of that awful start.

Anyway, hopefully he can turn it around. I'm not ready to write him off yet. Young KPP's can have frustrating, non-linear routes of progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People were throwing around the idea Conway was injured a week or so ago and he simply wasn't.

So Stanley goes out and we rest a fit Conway in the last 2 weeks to play Blicavs / SDK in non preferred positions. I know we're trying to win games, but you'd think Conway would've learned alot last week against TDK and this week against Goldstein. And I'm not sure it would've meant we played any worse?

Weird.

Yeah I would have thought if Conway was fit and we clearly are happy not selecting Stanley, that Conway would be an auto in.

It is pretty random.

What happens if SDK comes good and all of a sudden starts to look like our long term ruck?
Do we just bin Conway?
Conway is a starting ruck or nothing.
Same a Pittonet for the Blues... He is a pure ruck and certainly good enough, but TDK now holds that spot.

I'd be interested to know the long-term planning of this.

Possibly just wanting to change it up with SDK for a bit.

Play Conway and rest him for Stanley when he needs. Dont see why it’s such a difficult conundrum
Because you just said - "Before that Nankervis had 51 hitouts , and before that Briggs 23 touches and 44 hitouts"

Conway was our ruck in those games. So you're arguing that Conway made oppo rucks look like world beaters, but then say that it's a no brainer that Conway is our ruck?

What form? Mannagh hasn't set the VFL alight. Knevitt, Humphries, Clohesy, Hardie, Conway are all well ahead of him on form. He played deep forward on the weekend and had almost no impact. Others, myself included, have said he's looked good when injected into the midfield, but clearly the club wants him in a different role. On current form he doesn't deserve a promotion.
He's our leading goalkicker (17 in 7 games). Given the role he's playing, I'd say that's good form

He would not be competing against Hawkins though. More like Dek or any other tall defender.

Because you just said - "Before that Nankervis had 51 hitouts , and before that Briggs 23 touches and 44 hitouts"

Conway was our ruck in those games. So you're arguing that Conway made oppo rucks look like world beaters, but then say that it's a no brainer that Conway is our ruck?

Yes I’m saying it’s a no brainer to play our actual ruckman , especially Conway. As I said how is it a difficult conundrum? You have the choice to play your young gun ruckman a few games in a row then rest him for the veteran, or randomly throw darts at the selection table with SDK, Henry, blitz etc…

We are gonna get killed most weeks in the ruck so why not play and get experience in Conway?

Yes I’m saying it’s a no brainer to play our actual ruckman , especially Conway. As I said how is it a difficult conundrum? You have the choice to play your young gun ruckman a few games in a row then rest him for the veteran, or randomly throw darts at the selection table with SDK, Henry, blitz etc…

We are gonna get killed most weeks in the ruck so why not play and get experience in Conway?

Perhaps the club doesn't want to destroy Conway's confidence.

Hopefully Geel give up the ridiculous short passing , and quite a few of them dont go the required distance

A few examples from last week , Demsey down the City end , his pass which was called played on went about 6-7 metres maximum and Geel lost the ball

At the start of the last qtr Cats 4 goals down and still a fluckers /sneaky chance of winning , Holmes around the centre did a horrid/lazy pass , Geel lose the ball , Blues goal , game over

Kolos 10 metre pass intercepted by a Blues player , another Carlton goal

Duncan has been a star for Geel , utterly fantastic , however he is the worse culprit re this short passing , you watch him Geel deep in defence , hes 7 metres away screaming for the dinky short pass

Geel want to get rid of this ultra short passing rubbish , and i didnt see any of that type of play from Carlton last week

If we're going to get killed in the ruck most weeks, why not try something different rather than rolling out the same thing each week...

Maybe they're also trying to build Conway's confidence with some dominant performances in the VFL & then try to bring that to the seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back