Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Showdowns had some awesome games and Adelaide oval makes for awesome viewing.
2. Western Derby - Freo needs to win a flag already to really spice it up though.
3. The Sydney and Queensland derbies same level of interest because both states are far less invested in Aussies rules in general.

1. Showdown - This game is heating up to the point the AFL need to showcase this on Friday Night. It's bigger than Hawthorn-Geelong, it's bigger than any Carlton/Collingwood/Essendon/Richmond concoction you can put together. It's the best rivalry in the league.

Now comes the controversial calls

2. QClash - It's generally hidden away on Foxtel quite well, but as a Foxtel viewer, I generally pick and choose which games I want to view. And to be 100% honest with you. 85% of the time I've gone this game over whatever else has been on tv. 4 1 kick games from their 16 hitouts. And the amazing shootout victory to Gold Coast in the first game. In the 8 years since Gold Coast has joined this league it's actually better viewing than Essendon-Collingwood

3. Sydney Derby - The last 2 are incredibly close to split, but with 1 (and soon to be 2) finals between the two. That aspect is the sole reason I'd put the Sydney Derby ahead of the Western Derby.

4. Western Derby - You may have bloodbaths, but the finals make you want to watch it for the footy, not the fights (Which don't always happen either)
And now that Brisbane's good and demolishing the sun's, that's lost all substance.

Battle of the bridge into 2

The others can fight it out at the bottom. Qclash and western derby about as memorable as each other

#1. Showdown. Even as West Aussie I'd have the Showdown number 1 by a long way. It's the #1 non-Freo game I go out of my way to watch every season. The fans hate each other, the teams seem to hate each other, the H2H is close, and it usually provides a close contest regardless of where the teams are on the ladder.

#2. The Derby. Back in the mid 00's I would have had this #1 but the rivalry has simmered down since then. Even the Gaff/Brayshaw incident which should have sparked things back up again seemed to be virtually forgotten by the next game except for booing Freo fans. The fans still hate each other but there doesn't seem to be much heat between the teams (one of the reasons I'm not a fan of all the meaningless preseason derbies we keep getting). And when one team is better they seem to go on winning streaks against the other, with less unpredictability than the Showdown.

#3. Sydney derby. Better quality games than the real Derby lately, but doesn't have the same fan passion or behind the scenes meaning

#4. Q-Clash. Meh.

I don't care much about most Vic clubs these days let alone clubs across the border, but it's obviously Crows and Port and everyone else is pretty distant. The others get less heat than a Hawthorn v Essendon match (probably at the docklands these days) with nothing on the line and two shit teams, let's be honest.

1- Showdown (slightly ahead of W.A because it has nastier, snarlier teams with more character, and one with pre AFL history....depending on who you ask)

2- Western derby (would have still been good if Freo didnt have an awful, sterile rebrand that stripped them of their ludicrous colour scheme, unique anchor guernsey design, washing detergent logo and chopped off the volga boat man intro from their song- i.e the few things that made them interesting)

3- Sydney derby (battle of the bridge is really the battle of who can survive in a state that is mostly hostile to the code, and thus has a bit of spice to it)

4- Q-clash (well, you know)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

remember that a lot of original Docker supporters were once Eagles supporters
Well that's funny because I live in Adelaide and have no links to west coast.

Your are partially true that a fair amount, not all dockers fans in 1995 are ex eagles fans.

Some east Freo and south Freo fans didn't follow the eagles in 1987.

Hell I have chatted to a few people aged 50-70 years old that followed Freo since 1995 due to the Claremont links of coach Gerard Neesham and players like Ben allan

South Australia pretty easily at this stage

I'd have NSW and Qld = next because they are important to the league in bedding in Gold Coast and GWS. They are super important rivalries to building interest in the game in those respective non-traditional AFL states

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back