Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how much ground Cook is covering during a game?

All his touches are quality, just cannot get into the games

Seems to find the footy okay up on the wing but barely sees it up forward. Working hard but going to the wrong spots? Or not getting to enough contests / spills or presenting enough?
Guy is a winger not a fwd pocket. When played in that position he looks good. Doesn't know what to do playing deep forward

Crowd was extremely light, so bad that I don't even remember the last time at a game they didn't announce the crowd number during the last quarter. There were countless empty seats in my bay that are normally full with members. There was a gaping hole behind the paid actors posing as the GWS cheer squad.

Highlights:
The usual stuff, the kids are alright.
GWS banner (yeah that crowd really looks like 35k+ :$)

1719670015786.png

Lowlights:

Winning pointless games potentially reducing our draft hand.
Realising Hamish is our recruiter so we'd probably mess up anything regardless.
Making Taylor the sub, **** off Nicks
Laird getting majority of CBAs
Nicks get a W so less pressure on him.
ROB apart from a brief moment of footballing in the second.
Himmelberg is just lazy, doesn't move no effort at all.
Murphy WTF.
Not playing some of the actual talented kids we have in the AFL and persisting with absolute potatos so plenty of players are anywhere from 10-30 games behind in their development.
Normally I would rip into the crowd for the absolutely pathetic atmosphere, it was so quite you could hear conversations all around the ground for huge portions of the game, but who cares there was nothing to play for and the crowd was sub 30k.

I wonder how much ground Cook is covering during a game?

All his touches are quality, just cannot get into the games

Seems to find the footy okay up on the wing but barely sees it up forward. Working hard but going to the wrong spots? Or not getting to enough contests / spills or presenting enough?
He usually gets held back as the deep forward when it's in our D50 and he doesn't get to push up the ground the way guys like Tex and Fog do. Then when he's inside 50 we tend to push him out of a contest for Walker, Fog and the 3rd tall be it Himmelberg, Burgess or Thilthorpe going forward. Soon as he's on the wing he's getting to be around the ball a lot more.

Can't remember the game it was 3-4 weeks ago where Cook probably could have kicked 5 goals if we were moving the ball quicker. He was working super hard to double back and get inside 50, but we were often moving the ball slow and not giving him the opportunity.

If the crowd was really below 30k that's a huge message to the club.

Our previous lowest outside of the Covid years (2020-2022) was 33k

Four matches below 30k in 2022
Club “obviously the fans want to see the smiths and the McHenry’s”

If the crowd was really below 30k that's a huge message to the club.

Our previous lowest outside of the Covid years (2020-2022) was 33k

Four matches below 30k in 2022
I’ve been going to games for 20 years and can’t remember the last time a crowd number isn’t announced around 3 quarter time. Was odd for people who usually don’t care about this.

Good: the Taylor kick into the f50 for Murpht, perfectly weighted pass.

Good: Dowling again, and Cook when played up the ground

Ugly: so much of Laird in the middle. Taylor sub taking until deep in the 3rd. Murphy not being subbed.

And as said earlier, Hamill is putting together a season that deserves a new contract

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given last game's 12 dimensional chess with Michalanney in the midfield. It's interesting it that he had a solid game minding Toby Greene, but immediately lost track of Greene and conceded an easy goal the moment Greene took him to a stoppage.

I thought there were a handful of abysmal efforts from Murray in the late 3rd and 4th quarter (the worst of which was masked by Callum Brown's comical blunder) that were a large part of why the game ended up close. Not to condemn him specifically, but it's noteworthy because that's been a common occurrence from other defenders at times this season.

Good:
Rankine’s first half. He’s electric when up and about.

Hinge - after looking horrible in the preseason and the first couple of games of the season, Hinge is back to his best.

Dowling - looks a permanent fixture in the side now. Very composed.

Taylor’s cameo - ridiculous that he was picked as sub and not Murphy, but whatever. Did more positive things in 20 mins than Murphy did for the entire game.

Keays - one of his best games for the season.

Berry - easily his best full game of the season.

Keane - bounced back after a horror last month.

Thilthorpe is back in the seniors next week

Bad:
Himmelberg - I was pleasantly surprised by Himmelberg’s form prior to his recent injury. Tonight was a reminder of what he showed for the 3 years prior to that mirage.

Goalkicking

Ugly:
Lachie Murphy masquerading as an AFL footballer. Seriously, just stop it with this shit. Out. Replace in the 22 with Taylor. Who cares who the sub is.

Given last game's 12 dimensional chess with Michalanney in the midfield. It's interesting it that he had a solid game minding Toby Greene, but immediately lost track of Greene and conceded an easy goal the moment Greene took him to a stoppage.

I thought there were a handful of abysmal efforts from Murray in the late 3rd and 4th quarter (the worst of which was masked by Callum Brown's comical blunder) that were a large part of why the game ended up close. Not to condemn him specifically, but it's noteworthy because that's been a common occurrence from other defenders at times this season.

I don't mind Murray or Keane giving up the occasional goal because they have more of an attacking mindset. Over the next year or two if they can improve their judgment that mindset will be far more valuable than learning to play too defensively. That's what we have Butts for.

Telling - Smith, Jones and Crouch were missing and you didn't really notice. Schoenberg as well - more important now to get games into Dowling who has already shown more. Give him a pass for now given he's coming off an achilles.

I'll be interested to see which defender makes way when Worrell is fit again. And then where to play Curtin. Those are good problems to have.

The match committee has to learn the lesson from this match and go bold on selection for the rest of the season.

Ugly: the sub rule, reckoned it ruined Grigg and Lyons for us, could nearly have done Berry in for us, let’s hope it doesn’t do Taylor in now.
The worst ****ing rule in the history of our sport, to have a perfectly fit player sit and watch the game and not be able to come on for fear of an injury or not be able to come back on once subbed is insane.

Last edited:
Guy is a winger not a fwd pocket. When played in that position he looks good. Doesn't know what to do playing deep forward

Cook has the right running patterns on a wing unlike the usual crows wingman who too easily get sucked into the contest letting their opponent get an easy touch over the back and don’t plug the right holes in defence

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back