Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting shafted on Noah Anderson by the good old vfl is the problem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we win only 1-2 more games for the year, including last night, with players returning from injury, you don’t think we’d move on Nicks?

They have to publicly say it’s not on him because they re-signed him early, but if we were to implode for the second half of the year that’s a different story.

And it ultimately comes down to, do you rate Nicks and want him at the club? The Taylor selection sums up all that is bad about Nicks, last week he said he had stuff to work on, we cop an injury and in the short time he played showed he belongs.

I bet if we didn't win one after the bye we still werent moving on Nicks. I basically spelt this out for you in the list mathematics thread.

I'll try and make it clearer.

Someone at the club, not Nicks, signed off on losing all of Doedee, Hately and Tyler Brown and possibly McAdam and presumably, someone signed off on not getting any new mature players in to cover for them and so we went to the draft and got 4 young players (including Gallagher) and one not so young but still very inexperienced (Keane) . Whomever signed off on that, basically signed off on the risk we were going to have a season like we did. This is out of Nicks control.

Not sure what the club knew about the likelihood of Sloane re-injuring his eye was but that was (as opposed to delisting him and recruiting a durable experienced list depth player) potentially another sign off that contributed.

To then have the bad year that we've had and scapegoat the coach who had no final say in all this wouldve been unprofessional as f.

Nicks isn't leaving this year.

Mid 2025 at the earliest, if the club has a horrendous run at the start of next year with no mitigating circumstances. Deal with it.

Except that the team is still very young, and getting some success for their efforts is incredibly important for their development.

Cheering for the side to fail so that we - what, start the rebuild again? So that everyone can finally get fired? So that those of us who were anti elements of the club are proven right?

I don't get it. These aren't empty wins. They're good wins for a developing team that's trying to grow and improve.
He's already coached us out of finals once again.

Yeah that only works when the Coach picks the young guys over his failed favourites.

However, the only way to get into this team is through injury.

If we win only 1-2 more games for the year, including last night, with players returning from injury, you don’t think we’d move on Nicks?

They have to publicly say it’s not on him because they re-signed him early, but if we were to implode for the second half of the year that’s a different story.

And it ultimately comes down to, do you rate Nicks and want him at the club? The Taylor selection sums up all that is bad about Nicks, last week he said he had stuff to work on, we cop an injury and in the short time he played showed he belongs.
No he won't. It will just mean he will likely get sacked mid next year instead of toward the end of next year.

Whatever the result is the handling of Taylor while Murphy puts in yet another shocker really epitomises what is wrong with the club.

Or making a player wait for half season means they are better prepared to play well when given a chance.
Recall Bigmans pre season reports. Up until January this year Taylor was often a long last in running drills - I reckon even in December he reported Rachele running back to encourage Taylor through the last part of a run

Now seems Taylor did a shed load of work over Christmas and finally started to put the effort in to put himself in the frame, then has show good consistency in the Sanfl to get a game and then looked the part.

That actually seems like good development

Hopefully he stays in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Getting shafted on Noah Anderson by the good old vfl is the problem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That definitely hurt a lot

I bet if we didn't win one after the bye we still werent moving on Nicks. I basically spelt this out for you in the list mathematics thread.

Someone at the club, not Nicks, signed off on losing all of Doedee, Hately and Tyler Brown and possibly McAdam and presumably, someone signed off on not getting any new mature players in to cover for them and so we went to the draft and got 4 young players (including Gallagher) and one not so young but still very inexperienced (Keane) . Whomever signed off on that, basically signed off on the risk we were going to have a season like we did. This is out of Nicks control.

Not sure what the club knew about the likelihood of Sloane re-injuring his eye was but that was (as opposed to delisting him and recruiting a durable experienced list depth player) potentially another sign off that contributed.

To then have the bad year that we've had and scapegoat the coach who had no final say in all this wouldve been unprofessional as f.

Mid 2025 at the earliest, if the club has a horrendous run at the start of next year with no mitigating circumstances. Deal with it.
Then don’t preach to us( the club) that it’s finals for us

Lol, you reckon I read another one of your inane threads?

Hiding from your rebuild thread was the last straw.

Is that the only reason we write someone off?
Well, if you're asking Nicks, no.
In theory, Murphy is not selected to try hard, although he is selected by Nicks because he tries hard.

He's selected as a small forward. Again, in theory, small forwards kick goals.
Murphy has a handful for the season, true; what is it, four? :poov1: <== for goalkicking, that's a fail.

He averages less than ONE 1%/game and about a half of a goal assist, and 0.14 Contested Marks and less than half a MI50 <== more failures. HALF of his possessions yesterday were turnovers!!
If that's not enough for you, have a look at him trying to slow the game down just before 1/2 time when we were well on top, dominating, and could have gone forward again, quickly.

Traditionally, blokes named Murphy are nicknamed Spud.
In his case, never has that been more apt.

So it's not Nicks, it's on the list managers who got rid of four players that played a combined 20 games.

Even though we took three first round picks at the draft and all our young players gained experience last year in our 11 win season.

It's not Nicks coaching that with basically the same list he's gone backwards, it's the list managers for getting rid of guys that didn't play and never would have contributed anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some more notes on last night

In that good patch that GWS had after our good start, you could clearly see we were pressing up too much and they were getting out the back too easily, especially from stoppages in their half of the ground. At quarter time I was hoping we would address that and not press up so much and I just thought we needed to win a bit more of the clearances and we should be right back on top. That's exactly what we did. I was monitoring the team stats and watched us slowly move ahead in the clearances which was good because they've towelled us there previously.

Which brings me to... we seem to be doing some very different things in the center square now. I noticed last night we added two of our mids would stay right back away from the circle at the bounces and luckily they manned up on us where we were and so we were able to get proactive over them. Not that I could pick much pattern other than these weird starting positions (we are normally much closer under the ruckmen) but it seemed to work, so that's one for the they tried something new file.

Also, late in the match it was good to see Dawson and there was one other player drop back into defense to help stem the flow when they get a run on and to compensate a bit for our high press and mids trailing running back. Super happy about this. We've done it sporadically in the past too. Dunno why we ever go away from it.

Taylor one quarter, yes he did well, but one of his weaknesses is his running and I'm not sure how much we see of that weakness in 20 mins of game time. One good thing though is that he def made the required impact that we demand of subs when he came on so did no harm in getting himself more sub time.

I never get this happy clapper logic.

I’d much rather see Nicks hold the cup than be right that he’s a dud. The latter is what we’re dealing with though.
Yep, they don’t get it clearly. Some of us can see the clubs failings and want change, some just support the club no matter what the results are. We both ultimately want success, just one group puts more thought into it than “go crows, crows good”

So it's not Nicks, it's on the list managers who got rid of four players that played a combined 20 games.

Even though we took three first round picks at the draft and all our young players gained experience last year in our 11 win season.

It's not Nicks coaching that with basically the same list he's gone backwards, it's the list managers for getting rid of guys that didn't play and never would have contributed anything.
How dumb do you want to paint yourself just to keep prosecuting the same argument??

They didn't play last year because we had very few injuries.

What you think that Edwards, Curtin and Ryan could've come in and played consistently at the level Hately, Doedee, even Brown could've played at? Do you think their one preseason in the gym makes them as battle hardened and able to go with say the GWS mids as a Hately or a Brown??

This year a Hately or a Brown or a Doedee or a McAdam or even a traded in Adams or say a guy like Jared Lyons wouldn't have been handy a few times, not to be matchwinners, but just to be there to play a role and allow some flexibility and, you never know, maybe they would've kept some of your faves like McHenry and Murphy out of the team.

Anyway, you keep twisting yourself in whatever way you have to to make Nicks the problem and I'll keep laughing at you. Win win if you ask me.

At worst that win might push us from pick 4 to 5. We're not finishing any higher than 14th. I've still got us finishing 15th so no change. So don't stress about getting a worse pick
1719708294397.png

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

North got a lot out of beating Gold Coast and missing out on Harley Reid
North got heaps out of finishing bottom and getting JHF though right?

What about GC getting Rowell, he stood out as much as Reid did in the underage comp, does his knee, still very good but dunno if he'll be what Reid is projecting to.

What about Bris getting Cam Rayner?

I don't think moving, at most, about 5 positions in the draft is too much to stress over.

How dumb do you want to paint yourself just to keep prosecuting the same argument??

They didn't play last year because we had very few injuries.

What you think that Edwards, Curtin and Ryan could've come in and played consistently at the level Hately, Doedee, even Brown could've played at? Do you think their one preseason in the gym makes them as battle hardened and able to go with say the GWS mids as a Hately or a Brown??

This year a Hately or a Brown or a Doedee or a McAdam or even a traded in Adams or say a guy like Jared Lyons wouldn't have been handy a few times, not to be matchwinners, but just to be there to play a role and allow some flexibility and, you never know, maybe they would've kept some of your faves like McHenry and Murphy out of the team.

Anyway, you keep twisting yourself in whatever way you have to to make Nicks the problem and I'll keep laughing at you. Win win if you ask me.

Yeah you're right, there's no way a draftee could provide as much as Tyler Brown. What was I thinking. Bringing in those talented juniors and getting rid of Jackson Hately actually hurt our depth

Averages 2 touches less per game than Shai Bolton and has 1 less goal for the season. And Shai gets some midfield time

3rd season. Kid will be fine - a gun

If it all comes together, he will be a star. Hope we can develop him because he has got the talent

Hate when we lose - but I don't want us to win.
This duality, so conflicting, as well as Scorpus "I don't even know what to make of that" is exactly how I feel.
I loved that second quarter! :thumbsupv1:
Then I expected them to run over us. :sadv1:

I enjoyed the win! :thumbsupv1:
Then I realised it lifted us all the way to 14th. and one Draft pick worse off :grimacing:.

If we win all of our next games, might make 7th/8th (<== my dumb Crows' supporter optimism).
Means Nicks will be retained (and Murphy and his other faves, and his negative selection policies and ... and ... and ...:poov1::sadv1:, plus I count at least 3 losses ahead).
And so on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back