Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Late last night I decided to look at how many of the 300 gamers are in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

I went to AFL Tables and copied and pasted the blokes who had played 290 V/AFL games. I went with 290 because I thought 300 is too hard and fast as a lot of the guys in the 290's had been selected.

120 players have played 290 or more games. I split the list into 2 representing the guys who only played in the VFL before expansion or the overwhelming majority of their career pre 1987.

There are 33 from the VFL era. 29 are in the HoF and 9 of them are legends. The 4 that haven't made it are Russell Greene who played for Saints and Hawks, Gary Foulds for Essendon, Barry Breen for Saints and Rod Carter who played for Fitzroy and South Melbourne/Sydney.

Of the 87 players who played all or the overwhelming majority of their career since 1987, 29 are in, Goodes was given a nomination, but said no so 30 have been selected, 27 aren't eligible because they are still playing or haven't been retired for long enough, and 30 haven't made it.

This morning I heard Whateley say Nick Riewoldt has been indeed selected but because he was in USA last year and is still living there, he will come back to receive it when he can bring his whole family. I have left him in the list of not making it so far as who knows when he will be officially in. The number comes from the AFL Tables ranking of games played.

Guess the debate is when will these guys get a gig? I reckon a bit less than half of them get in over the next 15 to 20 years.

#PlayerGames
5​
Dustin Fletcher400
15​
John Blakey359
31​
Nick Riewoldt336
32​
Brendon Goddard334
37​
Drew Petrie332
39​
Justin Madden332
49​
Jude Bolton325
55​
Nick Dal Santo322
58​
Stewart Loewe321
59​
Tyson Edwards321
62​
Marcus Ashcroft318
65​
James Kelly313
66​
Roger Merrett313
67​
Robert Murphy312
73​
Scott Thompson308
78​
Adam Simpson306
80​
Paul Williams306
81​
Alastair Lynch306
91​
Luke Power302
93​
Shannon Grant301
95​
Marc Murphy300
101​
Kane Cornes300
102​
Mick Martyn300
103​
Rohan Smith300
106​
Wayne Campbell297
109​
Josh Kennedy293
111​
Steve Johnson293
112​
Matthew Boyd292
114​
Darren Milburn292
115​
Peter Everitt291

I didn't mind McDermott as player admitted it was for Bays & Crows.

Liked him more so as a balanced commentator tbh.

Gonna take a hot shower & return when the subjects changed.
Little too much Crow love for my liking:sick:

Gonna take a hot shower & return when the subjects changed.
Little too much Crow love for my liking:sick:
The camry folk ran him out of the media because he was 'Bitter Bone' apparently.

Late last night I decided to look at how many of the 300 gamers are in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

I went to AFL Tables and copied and pasted the blokes who had played 290 V/AFL games. I went with 290 because I thought 300 is too hard and fast as a lot of the guys in the 290's had been selected.

120 players have played 290 or more games. I split the list into 2 representing the guys who only played in the VFL before expansion or the overwhelming majority of their career pre 1987.

There are 33 from the VFL era. 29 are in the HoF and 9 of them are legends. The 4 that haven't made it are Russell Greene who played for Saints and Hawks, Gary Foulds for Essendon, Barry Breen for Saints and Rod Carter who played for Fitzroy and South Melbourne/Sydney.

Of the 87 players who played all or the overwhelming majority of their career since 1987, 29 are in, Goodes was given a nomination, but said no so 30 have been selected, 27 aren't eligible because they are still playing or haven't been retired for long enough, and 30 haven't made it.

This morning I heard Whateley say Nick Riewoldt has been indeed selected but because he was in USA last year and is still living there, he will come back to receive it when he can bring his whole family. I have left him in the list of not making it so far as who knows when he will be officially in. The number comes from the AFL Tables ranking of games played.

Guess the debate is when will these guys get a gig? I reckon a bit less than half of them get in over the next 15 to 20 years.

#PlayerGames
5​
Dustin Fletcher400
15​
John Blakey359
31​
Nick Riewoldt336
32​
Brendon Goddard334
37​
Drew Petrie332
39​
Justin Madden332
49​
Jude Bolton325
55​
Nick Dal Santo322
58​
Stewart Loewe321
59​
Tyson Edwards321
62​
Marcus Ashcroft318
65​
James Kelly313
66​
Roger Merrett313
67​
Robert Murphy312
73​
Scott Thompson308
78​
Adam Simpson306
80​
Paul Williams306
81​
Alastair Lynch306
91​
Luke Power302
93​
Shannon Grant301
95​
Marc Murphy300
101​
Kane Cornes300
102​
Mick Martyn300
103​
Rohan Smith300
106​
Wayne Campbell297
109​
Josh Kennedy293
111​
Steve Johnson293
112​
Matthew Boyd292
114​
Darren Milburn292
115​
Peter Everitt291

A few surprises on that list but none more than Alastair Lynch. 300+ games, 600+ goals, 3 premierships. Hard to believe he's still waiting 20 years after retiring.

Agree. Level headed, hard working, honest and the sort of captain you'd like to play under.

BTW, he's come out this arvo and said that Nicks should stay on as coach for the moment but management heads have to roll at west lakes. He said the same last night:

The sort of no BS commentary that cut short his career with FiveAA.

Edit: Just realised that the camera cut to Ricciuto having a drink just as McDermott was talking about 'a problem there (at the Crows) that needed to be fixed' . Glorious.

Last edited:
A few surprises on that list but none more than Alastair Lynch. 300+ games, 600+ goals, 3 premierships. Hard to believe he's still waiting 20 years after retiring.
The other surprising thing is that the crows repeat sides have more players in than Brisbane's threepeat sides and it wasn't close until 2020.

D Jarman 2007, Bickley 2009, Riccuto 2011, McLeod 2014, Hart 2016, Goodwin 2017 plus winning the flags helped the selectors elevate Blight to legend status for a combo of playing and coaching career.

Voss 2011, Akermanis 2015, Lappin 2016, Brown 2020, Black 2020 ( was selected in 2019 but couldn't attend) and Matthews was an inaugural legend in 1996 for his playing career but would have got it for his coaching career combo too.

Think North's 1974-78 era of 5 GFs in a row, 6 if you include the 1977 draw and 2 flags have the most I think of any eara.

Blight, David Dench, Barry Davis, John Murphy, John Rantall, Keith Greig, Wayne Schimelbusch, Doug Wade - plus Barry Cable who has been taken of the HoF because of his historical sexual assault conviction last year. All these guys won at least 1 flag most 2. Barassi was a 1996 inaugural legend for a combo of playing and coaching.

Glendinning's first year was 1978 and he played in the GF and in 1979 Ebert, Cornes and Garry Dempsey played for North who are all in the HoF.

#PlayerGames
5​
Dustin Fletcher400
15​
John Blakey359
31​
Nick Riewoldt336
32​
Brendon Goddard334
37​
Drew Petrie332
39​
Justin Madden332
49​
Jude Bolton325
55​
Nick Dal Santo322
58​
Stewart Loewe321
59​
Tyson Edwards321
62​
Marcus Ashcroft318
65​
James Kelly313
66​
Roger Merrett313
67​
Robert Murphy312
73​
Scott Thompson308
78​
Adam Simpson306
80​
Paul Williams306
81​
Alastair Lynch306
91​
Luke Power302
93​
Shannon Grant301
95​
Marc Murphy300
101​
Kane Cornes300
102​
Mick Martyn300
103​
Rohan Smith300
106​
Wayne Campbell297
109​
Josh Kennedy293
111​
Steve Johnson293
112​
Matthew Boyd292
114​
Darren Milburn292
115​
Peter Everitt291
Before I saw this post, if you'd given me $1.01 odds that Dustin Fletcher was already in the Hall of Fame, I'd have taken them.

Before I saw this post, if you'd given me $1.01 odds that Dustin Fletcher was already in the Hall of Fame, I'd have taken them.
Yeah that was the biggest shock when I did that list.

Yeah that was the biggest shock when I did that list.
Just on the names you posted, there is more than a couple that come under he was a great Clubman banner.
They stood up every week gave 100% every game and most stayed loyal to one club.
They won’t be recognized but will always be fan favorites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shocked philip j fry GIF

👇👇👇👇

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 9.48.55 PM.png

(note that one aspect of the deal brokered by McLachlan can be used to neatly absolve him of any conflict of interest criticism until 2028). Always a long term player is old mate Gil.

shocked philip j fry GIF

👇👇👇👇

View attachment 2024300

The AFL don't reveal what their deals are worth, but they have smaller deals with all the online betting companies who want info from AFL / 49% owned Champion Data so they can help model their odds markets.

Sportsbet is the most comprehensive deal and gets access at stadiums, the AFL website and AFL publications.

I was talking to someone in the sports industry about this very subject, and last years 4 Corners story, last Friday. That's why this is fresh in my memory.

The closest we can tell how quickly it is growing is from the large growth in the AFL's Commercial Revenue. Its only a 1 line item in the AFL's consolidated accounts they lodge with ASIC.

There was a large boost to that item when they purchased Docklands stadium in 2016, about $75m in the first year, but most of the growth outside that revenue stream, in items that comprise Commercial Revenue, has come from gaming industry. And its almost 100% net profit, unlike other commercial activities run by the AFL.

This 4 Corners story last June, into online betting companies tentacles into Aussie sport, especially cricket, soccer and tennis at an amateur suburban level games, revealed some of the kick backs the national sporting bodies get.

The AFL and NRL don't reveal their figures, but the 4 Corners team got access to some documents. They say the NRL gets about $50m and they guess the AFL gets between $30m-$40m a year.

The video below of the 4 Corners program is 45 minutes long, but I have set it to start at the 24.00 mark and you get an idea what the AFL and NRL earn as well as other sports if you watch say 5 minutes of it. The AFL stuff starts at about 25.10 mark. The reporter says the monies the AFL and NRL get from online betting companies funds their "Integrity Units."

You can read the full transcript at

From The Age article linked above, and a link to it to get over the paywall.

Two people with knowledge of the AFL’s strategy, who asked for anonymity to speak freely, said there was little room or willingness for the league to change its approach. They said the relationship between the AFL and Sportsbet was strong and mutually beneficial. The partnership started in 2014 when the league ended its deal with Tabcorp, moving to Crownbet which, after a series of mergers, became Sportsbet – now Tabcorp’s main competitor.

A source familiar with McLachlan’s thinking, who also wanted to remain anonymous to speak freely, said the former AFL boss had no intention of muscling in on the league’s current arrangements.

However, Monash University gambling expert Charlie Livingstone said McLachlan’s appointment highlighted well-established links between professional sports and gambling. “If you have been the chief executive of the AFL, you are already working in the gambling business,” Livingstone said. McLachlan, representing the AFL, told a parliamentary inquiry into online gambling last year that wagering deals earned the league “a material amount of money that makes a contribution to affordability, to access and to community”.

The Albanese government is considering recommendations from that inquiry, including a ban on gambling advertising and inducements.

Under current arrangements, the AFL earns money from its Sportsbet partnership as well as the product fees it receives from a range of gambling companies including Tabcorp and Sportsbet, who use the game as a vehicle to run betting markets. An investigation by The Age in 2022 estimated that those arrangements were worth between $40 million and $50 million a year to the AFL, with the sponsorship providing about $6 million to $8 million and product fees between $30 million and $40 million.

[This is consistent with the 4 Corners story that the AFL earn between $30m-$40m a year from commission on actual bets by punters, but it did't talk about the sponsorship component mentioned above].

AFL executives also understand that gambling advertising helps underpin the league’s broadcast deals, with media companies prepared to pay huge amounts for rights knowing they can attract gambling companies as advertisers. However, it is difficult to calculate the value wagering contributes to those deals.

McLachlan knows the equation better than anyone. It was McLachlan, then a 30-something commercial manager of the AFL with a family history in horse racing, who first struck a partnership between Tabcorp and the league in 2006. That six-year deal — reported at the time to be worth about $650,000 a season — meant, for the first time, the AFL received a product fee for money wagered on football. McLachlan said the deal represented “a new and significant revenue stream for the competition”. That deal formed the foundation for today’s connection between betting and the AFL, which extends to advertising at their venues.

That advertising was reduced in 2019 when the AFL self-regulated to limit the amount of advertising in venues to six 30-second ads per game. Some venues such as GMHBA and the SCG have stopped gambling advertising.
Two AFL clubs, the Giants and Brisbane Lions, have Tabcorp sponsorships, signed before McLachlan joined Tabcorp.
However, most Victorian clubs abandoned betting sponsorships around 2016, instead partnering with the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation to replace that revenue.

However, Monash University’s Livingstone said McLachlan’s appointment would make the connection between sport and gambling “inescapable”. “It means the likelihood is there is going to be even more persuasion brought to bear on governments to let things keep going as they are,” Livingstone said.

From The Age article linked above, and a link to it to get over the paywall.

Two people with knowledge of the AFL’s strategy, who asked for anonymity to speak freely, said there was little room or willingness for the league to change its approach. They said the relationship between the AFL and Sportsbet was strong and mutually beneficial. The partnership started in 2014 when the league ended its deal with Tabcorp, moving to Crownbet which, after a series of mergers, became Sportsbet – now Tabcorp’s main competitor.

A source familiar with McLachlan’s thinking, who also wanted to remain anonymous to speak freely, said the former AFL boss had no intention of muscling in on the league’s current arrangements.

However, Monash University gambling expert Charlie Livingstone said McLachlan’s appointment highlighted well-established links between professional sports and gambling. “If you have been the chief executive of the AFL, you are already working in the gambling business,” Livingstone said. McLachlan, representing the AFL, told a parliamentary inquiry into online gambling last year that wagering deals earned the league “a material amount of money that makes a contribution to affordability, to access and to community”.

The Albanese government is considering recommendations from that inquiry, including a ban on gambling advertising and inducements.

Under current arrangements, the AFL earns money from its Sportsbet partnership as well as the product fees it receives from a range of gambling companies including Tabcorp and Sportsbet, who use the game as a vehicle to run betting markets. An investigation by The Age in 2022 estimated that those arrangements were worth between $40 million and $50 million a year to the AFL, with the sponsorship providing about $6 million to $8 million and product fees between $30 million and $40 million.

[This is consistent with the 4 Corners story that the AFL earn between $30m-$40m a year from commission on actual bets by punters, but it did't talk about the sponsorship component mentioned above].

AFL executives also understand that gambling advertising helps underpin the league’s broadcast deals, with media companies prepared to pay huge amounts for rights knowing they can attract gambling companies as advertisers. However, it is difficult to calculate the value wagering contributes to those deals.

McLachlan knows the equation better than anyone. It was McLachlan, then a 30-something commercial manager of the AFL with a family history in horse racing, who first struck a partnership between Tabcorp and the league in 2006. That six-year deal — reported at the time to be worth about $650,000 a season — meant, for the first time, the AFL received a product fee for money wagered on football. McLachlan said the deal represented “a new and significant revenue stream for the competition”. That deal formed the foundation for today’s connection between betting and the AFL, which extends to advertising at their venues.

That advertising was reduced in 2019 when the AFL self-regulated to limit the amount of advertising in venues to six 30-second ads per game. Some venues such as GMHBA and the SCG have stopped gambling advertising.
Two AFL clubs, the Giants and Brisbane Lions, have Tabcorp sponsorships, signed before McLachlan joined Tabcorp.
However, most Victorian clubs abandoned betting sponsorships around 2016, instead partnering with the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation to replace that revenue.

However, Monash University’s Livingstone said McLachlan’s appointment would make the connection between sport and gambling “inescapable”. “It means the likelihood is there is going to be even more persuasion brought to bear on governments to let things keep going as they are,” Livingstone said.
You don’t have to be a Rhodes Scholar to work out what’s going on.

They think
McGuiness is/was married to Thomas, about 15 or so years ago a mate of mine who was working on the house next door to theirs told me all they did for the couple of hours he was there was scream obscenities at each other.
I met those two fellas years ago at the foundation as I was going to co run a charity fundraiser with a mate and they were going to back it. Then it got canned and I was left on the lurch. I was really frustrated as I quit my job and everything to volunteer for the 12 month commitment. I wonder if it has something to do with them having a falling out.

I have a vague recollection of a Margarey medal presentation where I think Kevin Crease made a joke that went down like a lead balloon. Something about McGuiness having a sore foot and Crease saying he probably should have corns removed or something like that.

McGuiness is/was married to Thomas, about 15 or so years ago a mate of mine who was working on the house next door to theirs told me all they did for the couple of hours he was there was scream obscenities at each other.

They live close by, they are still together, not sure if they are married.

I have a vague recollection of a Margarey medal presentation where I think Kevin Crease made a joke that went down like a lead balloon. Something about McGuiness having a sore foot and Crease saying he probably should have corns removed or something like that.
Good old Kevin he was a true blue Port supporter, he would have loved that joke.

Pretty sure she was already married (nee Allen) with two kids when McGuinness became the weekend news sports reader ... the rest, as they say, is history 😬

Remove this Banner Ad

Back