Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wondering, what is the deal with the SA Fitzroy footy club? I've always wondered why/how did we end up with a Fitzroy here? apparently they're an amalgamation of 3 clubs but none were called Fitzroy or Lions, is their name an homage to the old VFL side?

I was wondering, what is the deal with the SA Fitzroy footy club? I've always wondered why/how did we end up with a Fitzroy here? apparently they're an amalgamation of 3 clubs but none were called Fitzroy or Lions, is their name an homage to the old VFL side?
1718757626199.png

With the mergers they just used a nearby suburb name that hadn't been used, that also made sense from a footy branding point of view.

Their entire backline is made up of climate change refugees from Nauru.

The tiny Adelaide suburb was the location of St Dominic's home ground, who were one of the three clubs that merged in 1987. Sounds like a classic footy merger compromise where one club got the oval, another got the name, or colours etc.

A new club Fitzroy was formed by the amalgamation of Renown Park, St. Dominics and St. Peters YCW, playing at Renown Park’s ground and wearing the same colours as the Fitzroy club in Melbourne. Fitzroy was the suburb where St. Dominics’ oval had been situated.

Agree, was tough and hard and you always knew what you would get from him( we could use a few of these players now)but was never a bloke I worried about when playing glenelg, was never a match winner just an honest hardworking footballer.. how he could be in before Tim evans is astounding
McDermott deserves his place in there. He meets all the criteria - premierships, B&F's, played very well in state footy when it was still the highest possible competition for a player, medals won in state footy, seamlessly transferred from SANFL footy to AFL footy when a decent gap had opened up, and longevity, especially after his ACL reco when ACL recos were still iffy if a player could return as good as before. Was a match winner and huge ball winner when stats weren't padded with chippie, chippie kicks.

Any grandson of Les Dayman getting in, is alright with me. Probably why he wasn't a typical Glenelg player.

For Tim Evans to get in, the club has to push hard, the hardest, but they have had a falling out, and Rucci isn't on the selection committee any more, so he will stay down the list.

McDermott was 27 when he made his AFL debut, but it shows he got plenty of the footy.

Last edited:
It's amazing Bickley was in there but McDermott wasn't to be honest. Is McGuiness in there? Doesn't appear to be. I'd have him ahead of Bickley too.

It's amazing Bickley was in there but McDermott wasn't to be honest. Is McGuiness in there? Doesn't appear to be. I'd have him ahead of Bickley too.
Isnt he still in witness protection somewhere?

McDermott deserves his place in there. He meets all the criteria - premierships, B&F's, played very well in state footy when it was still the highest possible competition for a player, medals won in state footy, seamlessly transferred from SANFL footy to AFL footy when a decent gap had opened up, and longevity, especially after his ACL reco when ACL recos were still iffy if a player could return as good as before. Was a match winner and huge ball winner went stats weren't padded with chippie, chippie kicks.

Any grandson of Les Dayman getting in, is alright with me. Probably why he wasn't a typical Glenelg player.

For Tim Evans to get in, the club has to push hard, the hardest, but they have had a falling out, and Rucci isn't on the selection committee any more, so he will stay down the list.

McDermott was 27 when he made his AFL debut, but it shows he got plenty of the footy.

That's pretty impressive I wouldn't have picked it, I remember hearing Ginever talk about how he and the Port boys of the pre AFL era really respected McDermott as well that's good enough for me.

Bickley really shifted what the honour meant. Zero All Australians and zero best and fairests? Just a cog in a machine that had an excellent coach and got pretty lucky twice in a row? Carn.

I question off Shaun Burgoyne's HOF credentials because of his solitary AA guernsey being his only significant individual honour, but he's leagues ahead of Bickley.

This image is from McDermott's 1995 footy card, so he is no older than 32 here.

The Glenelg sun really did a number on some of those guys

View attachment 2023601
IIRC the reason his nickname is Bones is because when he first started training at Glenelg one of the coaches remarked that this young kid looked like his face was full of bones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is now 😄
She has been for as long as i can remember, not sure if she still is after the bike wife affair though? I'm too young to recall any of the Pam Cornes stuff. I wouldn't even know what she looks like. Definitely keeps a lower profile than the rest of the family.

Bickley really shifted what the honour meant. Zero All Australians and zero best and fairests? Just a cog in a machine that had an excellent coach and got pretty lucky twice in a row? Carn.

I question off Shaun Burgoyne's HOF credentials because of his solitary AA guernsey being his only significant individual honour, but he's leagues ahead of Bickley.
Bickley got in to represent the crows 2 in a row within their first 8 seasons. SA footy people compalined there weren't enough SA and WA players in the HoF at that stage as most of the selectors were Victorians and the last 6 or 7 years Victorians are the minority on the selection panel.

If he wasn't captain, but played exactly the same way he wouldn't have got in. He was sheepish about it in his acceptance speech.

If McDermott wasn't cut by Blight and he was captain of only the 1997 flag, McDermott would have got the gig when they gave it to Bickley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back