Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Hall of Fame tonight. Don't think any Port players get a gig tonight. Don't know why but it was announced Jason Dunstall was elevated to the Mickey Mouse 10% of all members Legend status back in March.

Given the 5 year wait eligibility rule that means players who retired September 2018 now become eligible for the June 2024 induction. Most likely 2018 retirees who could get a gig tonight would be Brendan Goddard and Cyril Rioli.
Still no Tim Evans?

Still no Tim Evans?
I've come to the conclusion it will take years as the club isn't pushing it hard. Tim and the club had a bit of a falling out.

Chris McDermott finally gets a gig in the HoF which recognises his SANFL and State of Origin record to go with his AFL stuff.

Kelvin Templeton got in as well. Bloody hell I thought he already had a gig. Great CHF and won the 1980 Brownlow kicking 75 goals. Those days are over KPF's don't win the brownlow and KPD's hardly get a vote.

The induction of Kelvin Templeton into the Australian Football Hall of Fame is not only long overdue, but finally brings in from the cold a player who should have been included many years before.

Templeton is one of only five players in League history to have topped the goalkicking table (since 1955 they have been awarded the Coleman Medal) and won a Brownlow Medal.

But he blossomed in 1976, kicking 82 goals in what was really the only semi-decent team he played for in his entire career. The Dogs finished fifth that year, losing an elimination final to Geelong.

After an injury-interrupted 1977, he bounced back in 1978 with 118 goals. He followed up with 91 majors in 1979 despite barely doing a pre-season.

In his Brownlow year he kicked 75 goals, but that came after an early-season move to centre half-forward.

He was 23 at the time and just reaching the peak of his powers. He was the first key-position forward to win the Brownlow.

What made his football all the more remarkable were some of the hurdles he had to overcome. For starters, the Bulldogs were terrible in 1980, losing their first 11 games and winning just five for the year.

Last edited:

Pioneer of the game in Sydney Ralph Robertson joins the Hall of Fame as a key figure in the history of Australian Football in NSW, having starred in the local league in the early 1900s and representative football.

He played 14 games for St Kilda in 1899 and 1900 before moving to Sydney and making his name in 41 games for NSW between 1903 and 1914 against the powerful teams from around Australia that NSW competed with.

He served in the Australian military during World War I and later joined the Royal Flying Corps and was killed in a training accident in 1917.

2024 Hall of Fame inductees

KELVIN TEMPLETON Read more about the Bulldogs goalkicking hero
RALPH ROBERTSON Read more about a NSW pioneer
CHRIS McDERMOTT Read more about an Adelaide Crows and SA great

https://www.afl.com.au/fixture?Comp...lebanner&utm_campaign=ticketonsaleRD16-232024

Last edited:
4 down 2 more to go

PROLIFIC Collingwood midfielder Dane Swan has been inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame after a decorated career, with the ball-winner celebrated among a diverse group of inductees on Tuesday night.

A Brownlow medallist, triple Copeland trophy winner and five-time All-Australian, Swan was among the stars of his generation and a key member of the Magpies' 2010 premiership team as a popular, knockabout figure in the game.

Michael Graham's highlights are pretty awesome, pity Sturt got in his ear before us going by his speech.
When I used to go back to the after match function at AO, pre covid, I saw Michael Graham there several times. I was talking to KT once and he came up and said g'day to him. I think a couple of his relatives played for Port in the 90's.

This was posted in our SANFL thread

1:25

Can we get a sack Laura Kane thread going? Absolute muppet.

She loves using the word shattered when things don't go well. People tend to be shattered when some close to them is killed in an accident. I suspect both footy clubs are a long way from shattered. We were told a couple of weeks ago the AFL is going slow on so many issues, including this one.

She loves using the word shattered when things don't go well. People tend to be shattered when some close to them is killed in an accident. I suspect both footy clubs are a long way from shattered. We were told a couple of weeks ago the AFL is going slow on so many issues, including this one.
The bubble these idiots live in is quite ridiculous. The peripheral football issues hyperbolized and elevated into "shattering" situations is just pathetic. As you move further and further away from the game you realise more and more that none of this shit actually matters.

4 down 2 more to go

PROLIFIC Collingwood midfielder Dane Swan has been inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame after a decorated career, with the ball-winner celebrated among a diverse group of inductees on Tuesday night.

A Brownlow medallist, triple Copeland trophy winner and five-time All-Australian, Swan was among the stars of his generation and a key member of the Magpies' 2010 premiership team as a popular, knockabout figure in the game.
Played for a local team this weekend and apparently was a bit sulky cause he was missing Dusty's 300th

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the HoF inductees and elevation

2024 Hall of Fame inductees​

DANE SWAN.................. Victorian from AFL era
KELVIN TEMPLETON......... VFL era
RALPH ROBERTSON....... .. NSW footy pioneer era
CHRIS McDERMOTT.......... SANFL era + AFL
RAY SCHOFIELD............... WAFL era
MICHAEL GRAHAM............ NT and SANFL footy
JASON DUNSTALL............. Queensland footy + VFL

Australia well represented in the Australian Football Hall of Fame tonight.

Dane Swan's speech was the only one that left me cold

Is there any chance the ump stuffed up that free because of the ridiculous guernsey clash with North & Collingwood?

Absolutely. Was the first thing I thought of watching the vid.

This image is from McDermott's 1995 footy card, so he is no older than 32 here.

The Glenelg sun really did a number on some of those guys

View attachment 2023601

Sounds like he tipped the bucket on the Corporation somewhat in his acceptance speech. Fears for Nicks's future and such like.

They have taken Barry Cable out of the HoF. I thought they just took away his Legend status. But he's gone from this official list. And of course Adam Goodes said no thanks.

All 11 + these 2 mentioned above = 13 are in the 24 man Indigenous Team of the Century selected in 2005.

Last edited:
If he’s in then there are 15-20 port players from the same era that should be in..

Hard as a cats head, but surely that doesn’t get ya into the hall of fame..
Never hated McDermott. For a Bays player of that era that was rare. Tough, hard but never dirty or a sniper. Not overly endowed with raw talent, but played with heart.
Actually respect him for his stint in the media when he would openly criticise the Corporation, something only Rucci dared to do and it never came from one of their own. No doubt the Powers that be at West Lakes ended his media career and nullified his profile and that's probably part of what he alluded to in post interview, so for that he deserves respect.

Never hated McDermott. For a Bays player of that era that was rare. Tough, hard but never dirty or a sniper. Not overly endowed with raw talent, but played with heart.
Actually respect him for his stint in the media when he would openly criticise the Corporation, something only Rucci dared to do and it never came from one of their own. No doubt the Powers that be at West Lakes ended his media career and nullified his profile and that's probably part of what he alluded to in post interview, so for that he deserves respect.
Agree, was tough and hard and you always knew what you would get from him( we could use a few of these players now)but was never a bloke I worried about when playing glenelg, was never a match winner just an honest hardworking footballer.. how he could be in before Tim evans is astounding

Michael Graham was the fastest player I have ever seen on a footy field. He was an incredible player who brought me to tears as a young boy. Bloody Sturt!
As for Bone. I didn't think much of him until I watched him live at Glenelg oval in the mud one afternoon. He just never gave in. And of course his dedication to his children's charity. He is a great human.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back