Moved Thread Poll added: If you were setting up a new team; Weitering or Hogan?

Weitering or Hogan?

• Jacob Weitering

Votes: 175 49.4%
  • Jesse Hogan

Votes: 179 50.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan by distance only due to the trend that you can find good defenders with later picks far more easily than a key forward.

Take the dogs for example. Our KPD setup consisted of a rookie, delisted free agent and a mature age mid to late draft pick. Yet our tall forward setup is a pick 1 and pick 5. Yet our Kpds are performing far better than our forwards currently.

Hogan by distance only due to the trend that you can find good defenders with later picks far more easily than a key forward.

It's a prevailing thought around the boards but does it assume that Weitering will be a good defender and no more? I'm guessing he has to show he is a once in a generation defender to shift that thought process. I wonder what stock Geelong fans put in Taylor or Scarlett before him or Eagles fans in Glass or Jakovich back in the day compared to key forwards.

I was also interested in the Rance over Riewoldt suggestion earlier.

Once they start out their draft pick shouls be redundant and their performance and value to their side the most important factors.

You can get good defenders later in the draft, can you get a Weitering later in the draft? Depends on how good he gets I guess.

Take the dogs for example. Our KPD setup consisted of a rookie, delisted free agent and a mature age mid to late draft pick. Yet our tall forward setup is a pick 1 and pick 5. Yet our Kpds are performing far better than our forwards currently.

Could this simply suggest that key forwards draw a premium and it is not necessarily reflective of how good they are? So people are choosing based on availability factors rather than talent. Choose the forward because there are less around.

Carlton have rarely done it so it's not something I've experienced.

Fev was something like #39. Kreuzer was a ruck/forward supposedly but we got him for the ruck. Nabbed Kennedy at #4 and traded him. Livingston at #4 to replace a forward in Hamill and tried to turn him into a defender.

McKay and Charlie Curnow in the first round is a novelty but even then they were taken for their versatility rather than to be our goal scoring focal point.

'Tis a curious thing.

Weitering for me. What tips me is his character - I think he will come to represent Carlton the way Riewoldt represents StKilda, he will set the standards his teammates aspire too for the next 10 years. Jesse I think at this stage is not showing the same leadership qualities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Poll added: If you were setting up a new team; Weitering or Hogan?

Back