Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol ... why is the NBN a white elephant?
My NBN (in a normal metro suburb) is disgracefully inconsistent (goes from adequately fast to glacially slow). This country has paid a king's ransom for a network which is essentially no faster and no cheaper, nor more reliable than what we were getting before.

My NBN (in a normal metro suburb) is disgracefully inconsistent (goes from adequately fast to glacially slow). This country has paid a king's ransom for a network which is essentially no faster and no cheaper, nor more reliable than what we were getting before.

Yep, Libs wanted to spend the money elsewhere. So short sighted. It’s all about the votes.

What type of connection do you have?

Fibre to the node and coaxial to the home. I'm working with my ISP to fix it up - something to do with channels, auto-channel etc

That explains it! HFC is the worst “technology“ out there.

The problem is not with the NBN as such but more with the technologies used. If they did the fiber to the premises as originally planned it’s a good investment. What they have done defies belief. Someone needed to line up their own pockets obviously.

Those that were lucky to get FTTP connection are laughing while the rest (especially those with HFC connections) are frustrated with the pile of shit they have been served.

The problem is not with the NBN as such but more with the technologies used. If they did the fiber to the premises as originally planned it’s a good investment. What they have done defies belief. Someone needed to line up their own pockets obviously.

Those that were lucky to get FTTP connection are laughing while the rest (especially those with HFC connections) are frustrated with the pile of shit they have been served.
FTTN is not HFC. HFC is pretty good provided the network is designed properly. It usually has fibre end points much closer to the home than FTTN. If you're stuck with FTTN you'll get garbage service most of the time.

FTTP > FTTC > HFC >>>>>>>> Fixed Wireless > FTTN >>>> ADSL

However if you're not getting your peak speeds at all times, that's an ISP issue. Choose a better ISP

FTTN is not HFC. HFC is pretty good provided the network is designed properly. It usually has fibre end points much closer to the home than FTTN. If you're stuck with FTTN you'll get garbage service most of the time.

However if you're not getting your peak speeds at all times, that's an ISP issue. Choose a better ISP

Yeah I'm thinking of giving this ISP the boot. Our best speed is good, but that good speed is getting rarer and rarer. I thought the point of the NBN was that the network could handle lots of usage from, you know, people in an increasingly connected era. Congestion is not an excuse. Imagine if your water pressure slowed to a trickle and SA Water said that it's because too many people are having a shower? :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm thinking of giving this ISP the boot. Our best speed is good, but that good speed is getting rarer and rarer. I thought the point of the NBN was that the network could handle lots of usage from, you know, people in an increasingly connected era. Congestion is not an excuse. Imagine if your water pressure slowed to a trickle and SA Water said that it's because too many people are having a shower? :rolleyes:
Some ISPs are cheapskates and don't buy enough CVC (bandwidth) so they can't handle the load from their users in peak periods

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, calling the NBN a white elephant is completely wrong ... you mean your experience of the current Government's version of the NBN has been below your expectations. The NBN in it's original form was the type of visionary public infrastructure that only Governments can and should take on.

Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott are in a car race. Kevin drives off the road, rolls down a cliff and dies in a fiery explosion. Abbott is distracted by his opponent's demise, isn't watching the road and ploughs into a tree. Having forgotten to wear a seatbelt, he flies through the windscreen and is shredded into a million pieces. Neither reach the finish line. Who wins?

society

So, calling the NBN a white elephant is completely wrong ... you mean your experience of the current Government's version of the NBN has been below your expectations. The NBN in it's original form was the type of visionary public infrastructure that only Governments can and should take on.
You should be on & read the politics thread as we had a good discussion on this a couple of weeks ago.

I'd have gladly paid slightly more tax to get a fibre-to-the-premises NBN. As it is, one day we will be forced to re-jig this one as FTTP at an exorbitant cost - bookmark it!

HFC here:

You're not wrong, HFC is a bit of a crapshoot and I was holding my breath when I moved here, but it's wrong to make a blanket statement like you have. My FTTP connection at Seaford was far less stable. Let's face it, the Libs were hell bent to score political points by "saving money", Abbott had no clue what he was talking about ("Turnbull invented the internet") and Mal toed the party line to keep his seat at the table. We got screwed.

Have just been hooked up. Fibre all the way I'm told. Am with telstra. Speed is an underwhelming 23mbps, still faster than previous (around 12 mbps) but doesn't seem twice as quick.

Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott are in a car race. Kevin drives off the road, rolls down a cliff and dies in a fiery explosion. Abbott is distracted by his opponent's demise, isn't watching the road and ploughs into a tree. Having forgotten to wear a seatbelt, he flies through the windscreen and is shredded into a million pieces. Neither reach the finish line. Who wins?

society
:devil: :fire:

Agree, it's cheaper building it properly the 1st time. Having only 2 tram lines & they don't connect on NT-KW is just stupid in the extreme.

Aren't these new tram lines the start of a bigger picture ?

From what I have heard the long term plan is that the one going north will eventually be extended to go along either Main North Road or Prospect Road and the one going east will eventually be extended down the Parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back