Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Bicks if youre determined not to learn much about the world, how can I stop you? But I wouldn't go around wearing it as a badge of honour if I were you.

Anyway, I think I'll give up trying to help you understand the world and just concentrate on my LAB* leftists and chat with them about directions this world could take and things that could go better.

*LAB = Leftists According to Bicks

So, how about Democrats and Corbyn hey fellow lefties? Fair entourage contesting the Democrat primaries in the US, not up with all of them but Biden appears the only establishment one which is good.

Good to see states taking action on climate hey, too bad fed govt won't join the party.

Have you guys seen how MMT (modern monetary theory) is sweeping around in the media globally? Been a lull for the last month but was prevalent for several before that.

Well Bicks if youre determined not to learn much about the world, how can I stop you? But I wouldn't go around wearing it as a badge of honour if I were you.

Anyway, I think I'll give up trying to help you understand the world and just concentrate on my LAB* leftists and chat with them about directions this world could take and things that could go better.
I hope that's a promise because I have no interest whatsoever in "your" understanding of how the world works or will evolve into the future. ZERO.

Wasn't he keen to vote for higher taxes on himself etc?

Doesn't seem like a person that doesn't care to me.

I thought we went over that it will cost more to delay? This is why I believe ST's theory that you guys dont actually believe in climate change. Also as I said just recently, the majority of our economy is self provision, so if it is going bad, its due to the domestic situation.

It’s ok, I’m for higher taxes even if it costs me $$, because it is just.

I know I’ll be on the right side of the argument eventually no matter what those on the right think.

PS: Obe thing I won’t be doing is responding to those on the right or naming them no matter how much they tag me. And then you have those on the right that post constantly - obviously lacking something in their lives.

And btw, we are most certainly not comfortable with this.

Why have a code of conduct if it can just be ignored? And I also disagree with the 18 months.

What’s the penalty though? It’s a code of conduct related to his role while a minister in government, he’s no longer in that role. What can they actually do, it’s to late to demote him for breach. As an aside, isn’t this CoC peculiar to each side when in government or does it transfer across? It’s not actually legislated with provision for penalty is it? Smells dreadful, but gut feel it’s nothing more than a headache for the government and a bit of ammo for the opposition. But he’ll keep his new gig and his pension I bet.

I know I’ll be on the right side of the argument eventually no matter what those on the right think.

PS: Obe thing I won’t be doing is responding to those on the right or naming them no matter how much they tag me. And then you have those on the right that post constantly - obviously lacking something in their lives.
Yeah you won’t name us but there is basically me and Bicks who post on here so not naming us kind of pointless isn’t it? Your attempted insults still have its targets.

As for our lives lacking something, yeah they lack a $40k wine cellar to boast about

That’s because you don’t exist on the margins. It’s easy for you to forego $2k-$3k per year in lost rebates. There’s lots of people hurting out there and these are the types normally looked after by a Labor government. Labor lost a lot of these but managed to replace them with wealthy inner city types. They’ll work it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the problem is - they are more than happy to provide the first two stages but don’t want to legislate the 3rd stage. Seems a fair strategy given the 3rd stage kicks in 5 years from now.

Classic wedge politics by ScoMo.

Krud politics in my view. Split the legislation and get the immediate cuts through. Use the fact that you had to do this against the Labor, if you think there’s value in it. It’s 5 years away, get something done matters now done. It’s infuriating.

Yer, I was pretty keen for the higher taxes too, historical data shows when you even up a society it gets much better. Many of the people wealthier than the median wanted the same. It's funny both wealthier and less wealthy than median voted against their selfish interests. Good to see altruism alive and well.

Not sure what the problem is - they are more than happy to provide the first two stages but don’t want to legislate the 3rd stage. Seems a fair strategy given the 3rd stage kicks in 5 years from now.

Classic wedge politics by ScoMo.

I think labor have been stupid on this. There is an election between now and when the third stage is in, so if they win govt they could just revoke it anyway. If they don't then libs would be able to implement it anyhow.

If it were me I woulda pushed for the third stage to be brought forward to be implemented immediately. If it works then it will work. If it fails (which it would but labor don't know that) then it will fail nice and spectacularly prior to the next election.

Apart from that I would've made almost no comment on it, I would've referred the media to the senate crossbench as they'll be the ones determining whether it gets passed or not.

Its funny to listen to some of the politics being trotted out over it. Talking about bracket creep etc. However if you actually delve into the data, we're currently better off tax wise than we were 20 years ago due to tax cuts already made (i.e there has been no bracket creep!).

I think labor have been stupid on this. There is an election between now and when the third stage is in, so if they win govt they could just revoke it anyway. If they don't then libs would be able to implement it anyhow.

If it were me I woulda pushed for the third stage to be brought forward to be implemented immediately. If it works then it will work. If it fails (which it would but labor don't know that) then it will fail nice and spectacularly prior to the next election.

Apart from that I would've made almost no comment on it, I would've referred the media to the senate crossbench as they'll be the ones determining whether it gets passed or not.

Its funny to listen to some of the politics being trotted out over it. Talking about bracket creep etc. However if you actually delve into the data, we're currently better off tax wise than we were 20 years ago due to tax cuts already made (i.e there has been no bracket creep!).

Only problem is that they in all likelihood (even with Green senators) won't control the Senate due to this election result where they, Coalition, gained Senators.

Interestingly it was the ALP that reduced the top bracket in the 80's. The difference between the two parties is stark - one is a true reformer the other generally sit on their hands and live it to the market (which generally fails due to self-regulation).

Basically all they are doing is paying someone else to make the schedules and stick to them, and pay the drivers.
Everything else remains publicly owned.

Given Metros run by the skin of their teeth right now, I'm interested to see how this is going to be of financial benefit, without compromising anything.
Would you say the buses have been running better since run by private operators?

I think there are certain things that should not be privately run, but public transport is usually ok.

Only problem is that they in all likelihood (even with Green senators) won't control the Senate due to this election result where they, Coalition, gained Senators.

Interestingly it was the ALP that reduced the top bracket in the 80's. The difference between the two parties is stark - one is a true reformer the other generally sit on their hands and live it to the market (which generally fails due to self-regulation).
Neither major party has recently undertaken major reform... even thought it's needed.

They are living for the short term & lack the vision of the Howard/Costello & Hawke/Keating governments.

What’s the penalty though? It’s a code of conduct related to his role while a minister in government, he’s no longer in that role. What can they actually do, it’s to late to demote him for breach. As an aside, isn’t this CoC peculiar to each side when in government or does it transfer across? It’s not actually legislated with provision for penalty is it? Smells dreadful, but gut feel it’s nothing more than a headache for the government and a bit of ammo for the opposition. But he’ll keep his new gig and his pension I bet.
I guess that's the point - I don't think they can do anything. It does smell bad.

Would you say the buses have been running better since run by private operators?

I think there are certain things that should not be privately run, but public transport is usually ok.
I don't really catch it often enough to have noticed. The footy bus works ok. :)
As long as it's safe and doesn't end up costing more (now that the same job is being done for profit) I don't really mind.
I don't really see what fat they can cut out to make money though.

I catch a lot of buses and trams in and out of the city. They're pretty unreliable at times but not consistently so it's hard to tell without some data. Should really get the bike out anyway.

Go to Japan and their buses run to the minute. You just ask yourself how??

Yer I know labor wont control it, but Libs don't either. Libs will have to give up some stuff to get it thru.

What major reforms do you think they should do?
Energy policy/environment
Tax system
Health care

Ideally all major issues would come under Federal system (laws, health & education) to remove much inefficiency.

Merge state & local governments to deal with local issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back