PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Those who work in IT settings may already know of this but I just learnt something that I thought was absolutely bonkers.

So I've helped my bro in law build his first system as posted a page or two back. Last night we were on Discord and he was telling me that the monitors would flick off and back on again when he got up from his desk. Firstly I'm thinking I've given him some dodgy hand-me-downs as I gave him the monitors and RTX 3080. So after telling him to make sure all the cables were properly in he sent me a video of himself getting up off his chair without touching anything at all and either one or both screens would briefly go black. Then I started looking up things in the interwebs and came across this - gas lift chairs can cause an ESD and can affect signals. There is even a link to a white paper explaining the science. Then searching for it I didn't realise how common it actually was. To prove it he worked out if he got out of his chair very slowly then no flickering would happen lol.

https://support.displaylink.com/kno...lay-intermittently-blanking-flickering-or-los

Those who work in IT settings may already know of this but I just learnt something that I thought was absolutely bonkers.

So I've helped my bro in law build his first system as posted a page or two back. Last night we were on Discord and he was telling me that the monitors would flick off and back on again when he got up from his desk. Firstly I'm thinking I've given him some dodgy hand-me-downs as I gave him the monitors and RTX 3080. So after telling him to make sure all the cables were properly in he sent me a video of himself getting up off his chair without touching anything at all and either one or both screens would briefly go black. Then I started looking up things in the interwebs and came across this - gas lift chairs can cause an ESD and can affect signals. There is even a link to a white paper explaining the science. Then searching for it I didn't realise how common it actually was. To prove it he worked out if he got out of his chair very slowly then no flickering would happen lol.

https://support.displaylink.com/kno...lay-intermittently-blanking-flickering-or-los
I can't remember ever hearing about that one, I wonder if the signal cables your bro in law has just aren't as shielded as some others out there.

I can't remember ever hearing about that one, I wonder if the signal cables your bro in law has just aren't as shielded as some others out there.

That's definitely the solution I believe. In the link and the white paper that the article also links too both say ferrite cores or shielded cables will prevent it. I only just educated him on DisplayPort over HDMI for his PC gaming and I wouldn't be surprised if he just bought cheap cables. Though it's not something I've ever considered (I don't go for the most expensive cables but don't grab the budget ones either) and never had it happen myself.

Like I said, it sounds crazy, but now knowing this and Googling something like "gas lift chair monitor flicker" and it's definitely a real thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back