PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been helping my bro in law build his first gaming PC and will be putting it together on the weekend. Over the last few weeks of parts shopping I was looking out for stuff that I might consider for my own new build later this year/early next and the Peerless Assassin 120 black really caught my eye. I'll probably be going a stealth build and that cooler reminded me of the old Cryorigs that I used to like and always said I'd consider if I went back to air cooling. RAM clearance still looks an issue though and severely limits options especially if you were min/maxing and were looking for a specific memory spec eg: 6000 cl30.

I've been helping my bro in law build his first gaming PC and will be putting it together on the weekend. Over the last few weeks of parts shopping I was looking out for stuff that I might consider for my own new build later this year/early next and the Peerless Assassin 120 black really caught my eye. I'll probably be going a stealth build and that cooler reminded me of the old Cryorigs that I used to like and always said I'd consider if I went back to air cooling. RAM clearance still looks an issue though and severely limits options especially if you were min/maxing and were looking for a specific memory spec eg: 6000 cl30.
It's hard to tell, but something like this might have more clearance

It's hard to tell, but something like this might have more clearance

Apparently 43mm clearance? Can't find anything official, that's just what I see posts of people saying on Reddit and stuff. Trident Z5 are apparently 42mm. Snug fit but clearance is clearance.

Definitely going to look into it though as low profile RAM is definitely readily available but the only limitation is if you're after a particular clock and timing. I had a bit of fun helping the bro in law parts shop and it just got me thinking about mid towers (he got the Lian Li 286). If I can find what I'm after then I can go for a mid tower and save a few bucks ditching an AIO for an air cooler.

About two builds ago I had a D15 that comfortably cleared some GSkill Ripjaws but it just seems like RAM heatsinks are getting bigger 🤔

Apparently 43mm clearance? Can't find anything official, that's just what I see posts of people saying on Reddit and stuff. Trident Z5 are apparently 42mm. Snug fit but clearance is clearance.

Definitely going to look into it though as low profile RAM is definitely readily available but the only limitation is if you're after a particular clock and timing. I had a bit of fun helping the bro in law parts shop and it just got me thinking about mid towers (he got the Lian Li 286). If I can find what I'm after then I can go for a mid tower and save a few bucks ditching an AIO for an air cooler.

About two builds ago I had a D15 that comfortably cleared some GSkill Ripjaws but it just seems like RAM heatsinks are getting bigger 🤔

Ram needs a heatsink.

What a time to be alive.

You could always get a normal, single tower cooler considering it's going to be blacked out.

On a sensible cpu those dual tower monstrosities rarely translate to significant temperature differences in my experience.

Last edited:
You could always get a normal, single tower cooler considering it's going to be blacked out.

Those dual tower monstrosities rarely translate to significant temperature differences in my experience.

I'd rather stick with an AIO. Single towers always make a build look a bit lopsided to me. Assuming the 9800x3d will have a similar TDP to the 7800x3d as everything else about 9000 is looking the same as 7000 it won't be hard to cool so it's all about the aesthetic of a neat AIO and the flexibility of no RAM restrictions. One of the reasons I was looking at air cooling again was to consider a smaller case. Otherwise at this stage I've got my eye on the Arctic Liquid Freezer iii or Deepcool Mystique 360 as they're both good performers and would suit a stealth build.

Though looking at some of the new x870e boards at Computex with 27 power phases and massive heatsinks over the VRMs I wonder how many will struggle with top mounted radiators next.

Technically heat spreaders. Those fancy fins and stuff on top I don't know are necessary, but the entire shell of the stick is an IHS.

I thought you meant an additional heatsink to the usual IHS that they come with!

Helped my bro in law build his first system today. First time I've built in a Lian Li case and the cable management in their cases is so good. Besides where we had to shove the PCIe cables in the PSU shroud as there was simply no neater way to do it I was actually pretty happy how it turned out. I talked him out of custom cabling for his first build but kind of wished otherwise as I forgot how poxy supplied cables can look. Also with the supplied cables one had to use the daisy chain. He got a mobo + CPU + RAM combo that came with the Vengeance sticks which are super tall and really limited cooling options so we just went with a single tower. The CPU is only low TDP anyway.

I gave him my old 3080 so the rest was: b550 Tomahawk, 2x16gb 3200 Corsair Vengeance RAM, 5700x with a Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 cooler, a couple Crucial gen 4 nvme drives, Silverstone 850w platinum PSU, Lian Li 216 case. Really great case to build in by the way.

20240608_133425.jpg

20240608_133730.jpg

20240608_143918.jpg

This is great. Sign me up for some AI cables and SD cards. An AI mouse that has a button that you can program to open Copilot is also quite revolutionary. Disappointing lack of AI RGB though.

I completely agree! It seems like everything these days is getting the "AI" label slapped on it, whether it makes sense or not. AI cables and SD cards sound like just what we need for our AI-powered desks. And yes, an AI mouse that can open Copilot with a single button press? Game-changer! But seriously, where is the AI RGB? Imagine lights that change color based on your mood or what you're working on. Now that would be a truly intelligent upgrade!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely agree! It seems like everything these days is getting the "AI" label slapped on it, whether it makes sense or not. AI cables and SD cards sound like just what we need for our AI-powered desks. And yes, an AI mouse that can open Copilot with a single button press? Game-changer! But seriously, where is the AI RGB? Imagine lights that change color based on your mood or what you're working on. Now that would be a truly intelligent upgrade!

One of my favourite responses to the question of what makes a PSU "AI" is that you may use it to power AI.

Lol.

Half of what is referred to as "AI" now used to be called algorithms

Its just the latest buzz word to get investors excited

Most AI is basically a for loop with if statements.

Anyone who says there can be too many nested if statements haven't seen the quick and dirty way I check for controller/kB+m input in Unreal Engine.

Are you Denuvo?

Do a validation check on every keyboard input!

One of my favourite responses to the question of what makes a PSU "AI" is that you may use it to power AI.

Lol.
I had to ask AI to answer your post. I think it did well...

(Sells OpenAI shares)

I think this was to be expected. Also the new chipset motherboards won't be out at 9000 launch which also suggests that AMD aren't expecting many gains over 7000 until the 9000 X3D stuff is ready.

Sounds pretty standard, I doubt many new mainstream CPUs beat the previous generation's flagships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back