Past Player - Sam Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: NSW Scholarship player - Sam Martyn

Gee you would want this Martyn bloke kicking more than 2 goals and getting in the bests when his team wins by 44 goals.

I would think the bests would be a pointless exercise in a drubbing like that. It probably wouldn't have meant much where he came in the bests. As for "only" two goals, I guess he is a midfielder ;)

Seems to me more like a match where it's absolutely impossible to draw any real conclusions from it on an individual level.

A goal and fourth best in a loss to Martyn this week.

17.10-112 Batemans Bay
Selected Team 2:10 PM
Sat 8/Aug

Hanging Rock Oval, Batemans Bay (Map)
def.
12.12-84 Diggers
Selected Team
Batemans Bay
Goal Kickers: B. HALL 8, N. DUDLEY 5, P. MOORE 3, L. BRADBURY
Best Players: T. PURCELL, N. DUDLEY, B. HALL, D. PEACH, L. MOORE, P. MOORE
Diggers
Goal Kickers: G. BURKINSHAW 4, G. WARREN 2, G. REGAN 2, D. WORDEN, S. MARTYN, A. Simon, M. TULL
Best Players: G. REGAN, J. HAGAR, G. BURKINSHAW, S. MARTYN, M. TULL, M. KENNY

I didn't even realise, apparently Martyn also played U17s this past weekend. Double shift, nice work Martyn. Only got two goals though, no mention in the bests. His team lost by six goals or so. Strangely enough his team only had 14 people listed and the other team had 20 or so. Maybe he got called in because they were short and they stuck him in a flank or something?

Being 188cm already Martyn is approaching a dangerous category. I spoke to Rendell and he said Martyn will not be considered as a KPP, but being 188cm at 16 means that he could very well grow another inch or two and be realistically too tall to be a mid. Or would he be too tall? He'd have the athleticism (and by "the" athleticism I mean "the BEST" athleticism in the AFL :p) - and I suppose with Otten and Davis considered potential mids and Pavlich showing us how it's done maybe I'm worrying over a blessing.

Mind you, Rendell in his typically negative fashion postfaced his comment with "we don't even know if he's any good yet" :p So perhaps we'll just have to wait and see :D

Good game in a narrow win this weekend from Martyn. He was named best player for the Diggers and also kicked two goals.

18.6-114 Diggers
Sat 15/Aug

Berrambool Oval, Merimbula (Map)
def.
15.15-105 Narooma
Selected Team
Diggers
Goal Kickers: G. WARREN 5, B. MARCHESI 5, C. MacINTOSH 3, S. MARTYN 2, D. EDWARDS 2, N. DURRANT
Best Players: S. MARTYN, G. REGAN, B. MARCHESI, W. EDMED, D. EDWARDS, J. HAGAR
Narooma
Goal Kickers: L. TALTY 4, S. STOKES 3, S. MACKIE 2, J. SAUILUMA 2, C. GROSS, J. BREUST, C. FOSTERNALLY, S. GROSS
Best Players: S. GROSS, S. MACKIE, E. HARPER, K. DONOHUE, C. GROSS, L. TALTY

Martyn 3rd best with two goals in a finals match. His team won the match so they stay alive in the finals race! :thumbsu: Well done Sam.

15.9-99 Diggers
Sat 22/Aug

Bill Smythe Memorial Oval, Narooma (Map)
def.
10.6-66 Narooma
Selected Team
Diggers
Goal Kickers: G. WARREN 3, C. MacINTOSH 3, S. MARTYN 2, D. WORDEN, N. DURRANT, D. EDWARDS, A. Simon, M. TULL, J. SPEED, M. KENNY
Best Players: M. TULL, J. NUGENT, S. MARTYN, C. MacINTOSH, G. BURKINSHAW, D. WORDEN
Narooma
Goal Kickers: M. CLEARY 2, J. SAUILUMA 2, L. TALTY 2, S. MACKIE, J. BAILEY, B. SIMPER, R. McCULLOUGH
Best Players: S. STOKES, M. CLEARY, S. GROSS, C. FOSTERNALLY, J. SAUILUMA, R. HAWKEY

Martyn had another good game on the weekend, second in the bests and kicked a goal in a narrow 8-point victory over Tathra in a prelim. He plays in the grand final next week against Batemans Bay :thumbsu:

12.17-89 Tathra
Sat 5/Sep

Pambula Sporting Complex (Map)
def. by
14.13-97 Diggers
Selected Team
Tathra
Goal Kickers: A. LITTLE 2, A. BLACKA 2, R. O''LOGHLIN 2, M. MAY 2, M. O''LOGHLIN 2, M. MAY, J. AINSWORTH
Best Players: A. BLACKA, M. MAY, R. THATCHER, M. MAY, J. AINSWORTH, T. O''LOGHLIN
Diggers
Goal Kickers: C. MacINTOSH 6, G. WARREN 4, J. NUGENT, A. PARKER, S. MARTYN, M. TULL
Best Players: C. MacINTOSH, S. MARTYN, M. TULL, G. REGAN, D. EDWARDS, N. DURRANT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I live near Merimbula and went to the GF today. The diggers won by about 30 points. It was a terrible conditions for footy, temperature was pushing 30 degrees and blowing an absolute gale to one end.

I tried to keep a bit of an eye on Martyn for you guys, the guy can run, has great speed and can change direction at speed, helping him find his way out of traffic. Looks great on the burst with a bit of space in front of him. His kicking was pretty hit and miss but given the conditions that's to be expected. Needs to put on some size no doubt, got beaten body on body a bit and didn't get that involved with tackling etc, but he is playing against men. Kicked at least one goal from a set shot right on half time and a couple of behinds on the run i think. Looked to me like he played on the wing.

Any specific questions and I'll see what I can remember.

Hey guys, I live near Merimbula and went to the GF today. The diggers won by about 30 points. It was a terrible conditions for footy, temperature was pushing 30 degrees and blowing an absolute gale to one end.

I tried to keep a bit of an eye on Martyn for you guys, the guy can run, has great speed and can change direction at speed, helping him find his way out of traffic. Looks great on the burst with a bit of space in front of him. His kicking was pretty hit and miss but given the conditions that's to be expected. Needs to put on some size no doubt, got beaten body on body a bit and didn't get that involved with tackling etc, but he is playing against men. Kicked at least one goal from a set shot right on half time and a couple of behinds on the run i think. Looked to me like he played on the wing.

Any specific questions and I'll see what I can remember.

Thanks for that mate. Just wanted to know which positions he was playing in. I mean was he playing more HBF/wing, or did he play all over the ground?

Thanks for that mate. Just wanted to know which positions he was playing in. I mean was he playing more HBF/wing, or did he play all over the ground?
He played high HBF/wing for pretty much the whole game, didn't really go into the midfield for many stopages and only floated forward when they were on a quick break.
Thanks for that Jizza :thumbsu: Do you reckon he got many touches? Did he read the ball in flight well?
He didn't get a lot of touches, he kind of drifted in and out of the game a bit, but he wasn't playing on the ball so often the ball would be out of his area for 3-4 mins before he went near it. Had a good first and last Q. If i had to guess i would say he had around 15-20 touches, hard to tell at the ground. He was hardly dominant but showed some glimpes.

On reading the flight well, i'm not really sure, but there were 2 passages of play that i remember in that aspect, one was a strong contested mark when he drifted forward the other was on centre wing, the ball was kicked long to his opponent, he held his ground, spoiled the ball to his own advantage, took the crumb and sprinted away and delivered a long kick to the full forward (which didn't hit the target, but no one was hitting any targets). He appeared to read it like a book on that last one.

Congrats to Sam Martyn who was named BOG in the Grand Final victory, and kicked a goal. Doesn't quite gel with what Jizza reported but, oh well :) Congrats anyway Sam! :thumbsu:

6.18-54 Batemans Bay
Sat 12/Sep

Berrambool Oval, Merimbula (Map)
def. by
11.9-75 Diggers
Selected Team
Batemans Bay
Goal Kickers: M. THOMPSON 3, J. BOYLE, A. BRADBURY, N. DUDLEY
Best Players: S. GREEN, S. MILLYNN, L. DUDLEY, L. BRADBURY, D. GENTNER, L. MOORE
Diggers
Goal Kickers: C. MACINTOSH 2, B. MARCHESI 2, G. WARREN 2, B. ANDERSON, G. BURKINSHAW, M. KENNY, S. MARTYN, D. WORDEN
Best Players: S. MARTYN, D. EDWARDS, G. REGAN, A. PARKER, M. TULL, B. MARCHESI

Great to see one of our future players tasting some premiership glory early on in life :thumbsu:

That makes 7 placings in the bests from his 12 games for the Diggers this season, including two BOGs, and he scored goals from the wing in 9 of those games. Add to that two placings in the bests from six games in a highly-rated SERAS team and it's a pretty good year from young Martyn :thumbsu:

Ha ha, I thought that might happen, maybe I was marking him hard because I had set my expectations too high. Well done to him, wish him all the best next year.

Sam Martyn had his first match of the season this week, and made it a good one, with a BOG performance including two goals in a 12 goal victory in the U18s :thumbsu:

17.24-126 AINSLIE
Selected Team 9:30 AM
Sat 17/Apr

Ainslie Oval (Map)
def.
8.3-51 EASTLAKE
Selected Team
AINSLIE
Goal Kickers: L. CARTER 3, A. VANDENBERG 3, B. SCHOLES 3, P. WHITE 2, S. MARTYN 2, B. FORD , R. HAUPT , J. WHATMAN
Best Players: S. MARTYN, B. FORD, A. VANDENBERG, A. BUNDAY, B. SCHOLES, B. SAINSBURY
EASTLAKE
Goal Kickers: T. Tiffen 3, M. Bayly , M. Ryan , B. Scott , J. BEDFORD , H. Bryant
Best Players: R. Adair, W. Townsend, T. Tiffen , D. Cummins, B. Scott, H. Bryant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back