Overall, which club is more successful?

Which club(s) are more successful?

• Carlton/Essendon - 16 flags.

Votes: 157 84.4%
  • Collingwood - 14 flags... (longest period with most cups about 50 years ago).

Votes: 29 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

LeapingBenHarper said:
So in years to come Port will go down as the best team in the last 3 years ?? Just trying to work out your lack of logic.....
We are talking about the entire history of the competition, anyone can dominate for a couple of years, even a decade now and then, but nobody has done what we did

Gunder said:
We are talking about the entire history of the competition, anyone can dominate for a couple of years, even a decade now and then, but nobody has done what we did

Lost the plot here. No telling 'know-it-alls' I guess..... Will say it again, nobody remembers who finishes on top or who plays in a GF, it's all about WINNING. Something that Collingwood haven't been too good at over the last 50 years.

LeapingBenHarper said:
Lost the plot here. No telling 'know-it-alls' I guess..... Will say it again, nobody remembers who finishes on top or who plays in a GF, it's all about WINNING. Something that Collingwood haven't been too good at over the last 50 years.
You said winning right?
Collingwood 1338 Carlscum 1314 Essenscum 1246

Gunder said:
Dude, you dont even own a car

ha ha ha. I only own 1 car, but I have more houses than fingers.

I wonder what makes Collingwood so unsuccessful? a lack of success or the poor quality of it's supporters.
do you think Eddie and Mick look at supporters like you, and wonder where it all went wrong?

More importantly do you think Eddie and Mick agree with you that your first 50yrs are more important than the last.

if they don't, and we all know they don't, who do you actually speak for?
'Pies supporters in a timewarp'

Crow-mosone said:

I wonder what makes Collingwood so unsuccessful? a lack of success or the poor quality of it's supporters.
do you think Eddie and Mick look at supporters like you, and wonder where it all went wrong?

More importantly do you think Eddie and Mick agree with you that your first 50yrs are more important than the last.

I think you have more houses than brain cells
Dude where's my car???
Joke Joyce

Guess that one was too subtle

Crow-mosone said:

They do have Joffa heading up their cheer squad.... The best club in the league could surely do better than that couldn't they.

LeapingBenHarper said:
They do have Joffa heading up their cheer squad.... The best club in the league could surely do better than that couldn't they.
Salt of the earth and good for a laugh.... I cant think of an opposition cheer squad leader anyone else would know by name.... see?.... more evidence of who is the biggest.... you walked into that one :D

Gunder said:
You said winning right?
Collingwood 1338 Carlscum 1314 Essenscum 1246

Who cares! Carlton & Essendon 16 flags, Collingwood 14. Just means you have a lower level of success when you have won more games but less flags....

LeapingBenHarper said:
Who cares! Carlton & Essendon 16 flags, Collingwood 14. Just means you have a lower level of success when you have won more games but less flags....
Headed the premiership table for half a century more than both those teams.... NUMBER 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tomatoes said:
So Port Adelaide and Collingwood have been the greatest clubs for the last 4 years because of their games won and crowd drawing ability?
Once again, talking about the entire history of the competition, I'm not being selective.

Gunder said:
Headed the premiership table for half a century more than both those teams.... NUMBER 1

Just can't get through.... Winning premierships is what it's all about and you are 2 behind the bombers and blues.... Doesn't mean a thing how many supporters you have or how many times you finished the season on top. Nobody except for Pies supporters care about the little things that don't matter. About how much silverware is in the cabinet, and you are missing at least two pieces to be considered the greatest!

Collingwood's popularity is over rated you stupid bias Collingwood supporters. Brisbane made a greater profit than Collingwood did last year and West Coast always make bigger profits than Collingwood including last year. Adelaide don't do to bad either. West Coast, Brisbane, Collingwood and Adelaide all made over 2 million in profits last year. Collingwood isn't really much more popular then the other three teams if at all. If either of these teams won the premiership they would be the most popular in most cases. So Brisbane could be the most supported team in the AFL. It is just maybe that a good percentage of them live interstate and that the Gabba isn't a huge gorund. As well as this Queensland is not a AFL heartland like Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia. So Collingwood is one of three teams who could claim themselves to be the most popular as well as Adelaide and West Coast.

I'm not sure why so many of you are struggling with this concept, the perception of Collingwood being the greatest club in Australia has it's roots in the fact that we dominated the longest, in fact more than longest, we headed the premiership table for most of the history of the league, any club in any competition is going to retain the mantle of biggest and best despite lean years, even decades in that scenario, we are talking in terms of more than a century and generational psyche. It wont change any time soon, and by that I mean probably at least another half a century. None of you will live long enough to see another club dominate the way we have in those terms.

Gunder,

Who has performed better? The marathon runner who led most of the way but was beaten in the last 500 meteres? Or the eventual winner, who trailed most of the way, but won with a blistering finish?

It doesn't matter that Collingwood led the premiership count for "most" of the VFL-AFL's 107 years. Just like it doesn't matter that a 2nd placed marathon runner led for most of the way. At the end of the day, that marathon runner came second, and after 107 years of competition Essendon is ahead of Collingwood 16 to 14.

Want some alternate opinions on why essendion is the greatest club?

* We have won the most premierships.
* We have won the most finals games (you said Collingwood did, but you were WRONG. Essendon has won 69 VFL-AFL finals games. A record)
* Essendon's 16 flags have come in 106 years of competition (we didn't compete in 1916-17), while Carlton has taken all 108 years to win their 16. So we have a better strike rate.
* Essendon have the most supporters and virtually all recent surveys back this up, the most recent being the Herald-Sun footy fans survey, and of course the famous Morgan poll, putting us at 797,000 fans Australia wide, compared to Collingwood's 642,000.
* Essendon holds the all-time attendance record for a H&A season (set in 1998 when we finished 8th) and the all-time record for a full season, finals included (2000)
* Essendon has never had a premiership drought longer than 19 years. Ever.

Collingwood, also have a few things going for them, the most pertinent being their 39 Grand Finals and 74 years in the finals, but apart from that, you don't lead any other major statistical category. Even Carlton shade you on head-to-head wins.

Carlton has won the most grand finals!

Carlton 16 grandfinal wins

Essendon 14 grand final wins (2 of their premierships were awarded to them for finishing the season as minor premiers. as there were no finals series for those two years) still, 16 premierships overall.

So Carlton by TKO ;)

James said:
Carlton has won the most grand finals!

Carlton 16 grandfinal wins

Essendon 14 grand final wins (2 of their premierships were awarded to them for finishing the season as minor premiers. as there were no finals series for those two years) still, 16 premierships overall.

So Carlton by TKO ;)

Wrong.

Essendon won premierships without a Grand Final being played in 1897 and 1924, but on both occasions there WAS a finals series. The top 4 teams all played themsevles once each over the three week finals series and the team that headed the "finals ladder" was premiers.

Essendon won the premiership on both occasions.

Dan26 said:
Wrong.

Essendon won premierships without a Grand Final being played in 1897 and 1924, but on both occasions there WAS a finals series. The top 4 teams all played themsevles once each over the three week finals series and the team that headed the "finals ladder" was premiers.

You beat me to it.

Dan26 said:
Wrong.

G`day Dan, I haven`t been here for almast 2 years, I remember you though. You give Essendon supporters a good name!

I stand corrected on the finals series.

But still, they didn`t win a grand final those two years.

I know I`m being pedantic...but so is this whole thread. ;)

Dan26 said:
Gunder,

Who has performed better? The marathon runner who led most of the way but was beaten in the last 500 meteres? Or the eventual winner, who trailed most of the way, but won with a blistering finish?

It doesn't matter that Collingwood led the premiership count for "most" of the VFL-AFL's 107 years. Just like it doesn't matter that a 2nd placed marathon runner led for most of the way. At the end of the day, that marathon runner came second, and after 107 years of competition Essendon is ahead of Collingwood 16 to 14.

Want some alternate opinions on why essendion is the greatest club?

* We have won the most premierships.
* We have won the most finals games (you said Collingwood did, but you were WRONG. Essendon has won 69 VFL-AFL finals games. A record)
* Essendon's 16 flags have come in 106 years of competition (we didn't compete in 1916-17), while Carlton has taken all 108 years to win their 16. So we have a better strike rate.
* Essendon have the most supporters and virtually all recent surveys back this up, the most recent being the Herald-Sun footy fans survey, and of course the famous Morgan poll, putting us at 797,000 fans Australia wide, compared to Collingwood's 642,000.
* Essendon holds the all-time attendance record for a H&A season (set in 1998 when we finished 8th) and the all-time record for a full season, finals included (2000)
* Essendon has never had a premiership drought longer than 19 years. Ever.

Collingwood, also have a few things going for them, the most pertinent being their 39 Grand Finals and 74 years in the finals, but apart from that, you don't lead any other major statistical category. Even Carlton shade you on head-to-head wins.

And yet we are still recognized as the most famous club in Australia, why? for all the generational reasons I outlined. We were the best the longest. I take your point of the marathon onboard, however the analogy is flawed..... the race aint over yet ;)

I presume this thread is about the VFL...The claimed amount of flags for these clubs is a bit flattering at the AFL level. Brisbane is by far and away the most successful club and if flags are the sole criteria this is followed by the Crows.

chooke said:
I presume this thread is about the VFL...The claimed amount of flags for these clubs is a bit flattering at the AFL level. Brisbane is by far and away the most successful club and if flags are the sole criteria this is followed by the Crows.

We let you join the league, now hush.

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall, which club is more successful?

Back