Norm Smith Medallist
Richmond Tigers - 2013 Player Sponsor Minecraft
Mar 2, 2009
East of Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Desire
...really need to step up in the next two weeks.

We play Saints and Hawks, who would currently have two of the weaker ruck divisions going around.

We saw last week how important it is for the ruckmen to get first hands on the ball as often as possible, to give our mids a bit of a leg up in the clearance area.

Tonight, the Saints have a young McEvoy up against Graham. I know McEvoy is touted as being a pretty good up and coming talent, but there is no excuse for Graham not being able to take the points here. He has been in the system longer, and should have the size and conditioning to dominate a kid.

Archer is coming in for his first game, and again, we need to be able to take advantage of this. Whether it be Graham or Vickery, we need to use our rucks and make them winners around the ground, in the forward line, as well as at stoppages.

As for next week, well Hale gave us some grief in Shepparton, and we need to be better than what we were that night.

Two big weeks for our rucks, time for them to really show something IMO.

i love graham. more than simmonds. he tackles like a beast. got like 80 or 90 dt points. dont think we'll need browne or derickx much.
Even Llyod loves him. Im sure he said, he is becoming the best ruckman in the league, last week...

I wouldnt go that far but he is becoming more prominent and influental by the week ..

Even Llyod loves him. Im sure he said, he is becoming the best ruckman in the league, last week...

I wouldnt go that far but he is becoming more prominent and influental by the week ..

I think Lloyd was referring to him becoming the more dominant ruck over Warnock and Hampson in last weeks game during the 3rd qtr, not in the whole league.

I think Lloyd was referring to him becoming the more dominant ruck over Warnock and Hampson in last weeks game during the 3rd qtr, not in the whole league.
Fair enough..

But I could of sworn he said it tho ..and i just put it down to one of the many gaffs and stubid things he says, whilst commentating, because he say a lot.

Our ruck situation isn't ideal but gee it's nice not to have a broken down Simmo (who, to be fair, was a good player for us before the injuries) run out and get flogged every week anymore. At least there's a contest.

The best thing about our ruck division is that they're all so young they will (almost) inevitably get better for at least the next 3-4 years. Jamar had a breakout season last year and is now considered amoung the better rucks around...He's 27! Gus is the 'old man' for us, and he only turns 24 in a few weeks.

This year, I'm content if they keep the ruck contests to being even enough to the opposition midfielders can't rely on their guy to feed them the ball, even if most of it does go their way.

If Gus starts winning a few there, it'll be massive.

Thats what he definitely said. I had to re-wind it at the time and listen again, as I thought he has said he was becoming the best ruck in the "Game".

The best thing about our ruck division is that they're all so young they will (almost) inevitably get better for at least the next 3-4 years. Jamar had a breakout season last year and is now considered amoung the better rucks around...He's 27! Gus is the 'old man' for us, and he only turns 24 in a few weeks.

This year, I'm content if they keep the ruck contests to being even enough to the opposition midfielders can't rely on their guy to feed them the ball, even if most of it does go their way.

If Gus starts winning a few there, it'll be massive.

I understand, and agree... but in games like tonight, where we are up against younger less experienced ruckmen, we MUST make it count. Even with someone like Jamar, It doesn't just snap overnight, there has to be signs and even victories along the way. Tonight needs to be one of those victories IMO.

are substandard and terrible atm. weather they can improve enough only time will tell.
have grave doubts about graham in fact id say dud.

Clearly we need one. We need to open the check book at season end or we will be forever stuck with average rucks. As much as Angus tries he will only ever be a second ruck at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think are rucks are getting better, Graham has been alright and Vickery is the perfect 2nd ruckman with the new sub rule because he can play foward and just ruck when Graham need a break. Big Boy Graham had 30 hit outs to night, not to bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back