AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the Irish AFLW players* finally see the writing on the wall regarding national selection back home. No way Vikki is missing that Olympic team on merit. Purely politics. Makes missing last season all the more regrettable.

*Plural because Sarah Rowe also wasted her time trying to get picked for the FIFA World Cup

What is the politics that you speak of? Is it that these other Irish sports bodies don't like code hoppers or is there something else going on?

Last year’s team plus Libby Birch and Vicki Wall? Yes please.
I reckon Tripodi also should’ve been in our best team as that forward/mid rotation

B: bresnehan Ferguson
HB: Kearney birch O’Shea
C: Gatt King Bruton
HF: Wall King
F: eddey randall Shierlaw
R: Rennie riddell garner
I: Tripodi Martin O’loughlin Pullar
And 1 of Wright/Shannon

Emg: Craven, smith and 1 of Wright/Shannon

What is the politics that you speak of? Is it that these other Irish sports bodies don't like code hoppers or is there something else going on?
Doesn't have to be the sporting body per se, nor is it exclusive to the Irish. But yes, all it takes is one person with a bit of power and a grudge against multi-sport athletes, and you get another example of what I call the Tall Perry Syndrome.

"Cricket Australia" got the shits with Emma Kearney for not dropping everything in favour of her whopping $10k Melbourne Stars contract, for example.

Just read that Jess Hosking is living with Drew Petrie and his wife and kids in Perth after getting picked up by the Eagles. It’s not so much AFLW news, but nice to hear he is so settled over there.

Hugh Greenwood assistant coaching early retirement news?

For several months, it's been reported the Tassie AFLW team could join the competition in 2027. But as of today, the latest word is that date might be brought forward to 2026.

This would leave (at most) one relatively uncompromised national draft before the New Team concessions kick in. Probably mixed news for us.

On one hand, we know it's going to make it even harder for the teams below us to quickly catch up on our list. And on the other hand, it of course means our Tasmanian (and perhaps also Irish) talent will be sooner subjected to the inevitable godfather offers.

So list management could be a tricky juggling act come December 2025, keeping in mind existing contracts won't prevent players from joining the 19th club via free agency expansion signings.

I don't think the idea of returning home by itself will be attractive enough for Mia King (who, at 23, is currently our best player under 28) and Nicole Bresnehan (vice-captain again this year, I'd guess). The kind of offers they'll get will depend on what certain youngsters at other clubs end up doing, which may work to our benefit.

There is always the other end of the spectrum, though, where a team fails to land any genuine marquee player and overcompensates with excessive offers for top "support acts", as we saw with the 11th hour Hawthorn-Gilly deal.

Ooh yeah, the GAA hate the AFL and especially the AFLW. Bad enough (in their eyes) we poach their men's talent, but I think their women's comp has been going since the 80s, so us johnny-come-latelys taking their best female players is not looked on kindly. Sounds like there might be a bit of resentment against the players as well.

Hugh Greenwood assistant coaching early retirement news?
Nah mate we have a long proud culture of players having a main job with north as a bit of a sideline to keep things fresh.

Whether it be Rugby 7s for Fiji, establishing a property portfolio or going on the Amazing Race, we're there for players to chase their dreams.

(Sorry Hugh had to say that - you're actually not one of those blokes)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. He still left tho haha

Yeh but thats what gave it away. He was appointed in June and retired by August.
I’m pretty sure he had already announced his retirement before his appointment to the AFLW team.

I haven’t heard anything from Hugh.

I reckon Tripodi also should’ve been in our best team as that forward/mid rotation

B: bresnehan Ferguson
HB: Kearney birch O’Shea
C: Gatt King Bruton
HF: Wall King
F: eddey randall Shierlaw
R: Rennie riddell garner
I: Tripodi Martin O’loughlin Pullar
And 1 of Wright/Shannon

Emg: Craven, smith and 1 of Wright/Shannon
It’s a helluva team!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back