NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow there is few real head scratchers in that list!
Rusted nuts always is when you do a list
I am sure I might have missed someone or had players too high or low, this is just from games I watched and yes I didn’t watch Reservoir or Lalor so can’t comment on their lists.
I also might have only watched half of some games before moving to watch another game on a Saturday ie watch Mernda or Laurimar and then go to Bundoora or Diamond Creek or Heidelberg West/FitzroyStars and then go and watch Heidelberg/Nth Heid/Macleod/Banyule for example
So happy to for anyone to comment, it was more just about my thoughts from my weekly write ups and players I had seen
I actually had a list of 45 so to get it down to 25 is quite challenging, have a go and post what you come up with, you might know the division better then myself 👍👍

Last edited:

Rusted nuts always is when you do a list
I am sure I might have missed someone or had players too high or low, this is just from games I watched and yes I didn’t watch Reservoir or Lalor so can’t comment on their lists.
I also might have only watched half of some games before moving to watch another game on a Saturday ie watch Mernda or Laurimar and then go to Bundoora or Diamond Creek or Heidelberg West/FitzroyStars and then go and watch Heidelberg/Nth Heid/Macleod/Banyule for example
So happy to for anyone to comment, it was more just about my thoughts from my weekly write ups and players I had seen
I actually had a list of 45 so to get it down to 25 is quite challenging, have a go and post what you come up with, you might know the division better then myself 👍👍
I’m referencing the herald sun list. I think your list is solid

I’m referencing the herald sun list. I think your list is solid
Rusted nuts thanks mate, appreciate it.
Like I said, hard when you only watch a half but have seen all teams except Reservoir (ok I did watch a half) and didn’t see Lalor at all
I think Burns will win comp medal but Evans will poll very well also

I watched every game online this year, and I can't wait to watch these two sides go at it live. Fingers crossed for a clear day, and hopefully, the deck isn't a mud pit
I feel for Gus Mills, who has played at Mernda for years but has missed due to injury.
He's the Bob Murphy of the NFNL.

Good luck to both sides.
I think Mernda would be able to pick the laurimar side apart from the last outting.

Mernda by 14 points

Riley Edwards B.O.G

SWOOPINGTIME

I watched every game online this year, and I can't wait to watch these two sides go at it live. Fingers crossed for a clear day, and hopefully, the deck isn't a mud pit
I feel for Gus Mills, who has played at Mernda for years but has missed due to injury.
He's the Bob Murphy of the NFNL.

Good luck to both sides.
I think Mernda would be able to pick the laurimar side apart from the last outting.

Mernda by 14 points

Riley Edwards B.O.G

SWOOPINGTIME

Laurimar for mine. Were the better side for the first apart from 20 minutes in the last quarter when they thought the game was done and fell asleep. Showed great poise to get the game back on there terms and finish strongly across the final 5 mins of the game.

Laurimar by 15 points

Luke Wilson or Nathan Andrews BOG

Should be a ripper this Saturday.
A real toss of the coin.
I'm tipping Mernda to cause an upset in a thriller by 4 points.
Billy Morrison for the BOG

Good luck to both teams 👍

I suspect no major changes. I’ll go early and say Mernda take the chocolates. Been the best side for mine all year and will be better for the 2 finals they’ve now played in.

22 points, Crouch BOG.
Spoke to someone from Mernda and he said there full forward is really struggling with a knee, but will play. Not sure who that is.

I'll say Laurimar finally gets over the line

18 points/Wilson BOG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect no major changes. I’ll go early and say Mernda take the chocolates. Been the best side for mine all year and will be better for the 2 finals they’ve now played in.

22 points, Crouch BOG.
Looks like you are predicting Crouch to kick a bag tomorrow. How many do you think he will kick?

SWOOPINGTIME

Grand final
Laurimar vs Mernda
Arch rivals Laurimar and Mernda do battle for a 4th time this season, with Laurimar holding a 2-1 record at the moment, but that means nothing come 5pm tomorrow.
One change at the power with Anderson who comes in for the unlucky Cusinato. Mernda have added A Black however I think they will go in with unchanged team from last weeks 36 point win over Old Eltham.
The battle of the rucks between Morrison and Clarke will be huge, if Morrison does get on top Laurimar do have the ability to throw Leather or even Bateman/Mooney into the ruck. Not sure Mernda have this luxury and it could play a big part in deciding the outcome.

Up forward Cecil has had a much quieter season than 2022 however is a big time player and with Mooney and Leather up forward provide big targets for the Laurimar onballers to target

Up the other end Kimuliatis had his best game against Laurimar two weeks ago when he kicked 4 however is he under an injury cloud. Does Bateman go to him or does Laurimar keep Bateman at CHB where he can play that intercepting type role. Crouch and Smith have both had great season and will need to provide that support up forward if Kimuliatis is wel held.

The clash between Wilson, Thompson and Frawley vs Bell, Edwards and Harris is also mouthwatering as all are hard at it and if the ground conditions are a bit soft then whoever can get control of the ball and move it forward will help determine the result.

My pre-season premiership favourite was Laurimar, Mernda have been fantastic and deserve their spot in the grand final however their can only be one winner on the day. That winner will be Laurimar by 14 points
BOG: Bateman

I think Lauimar will also win the reserves, undefeated all year and have beaten Old Eltham by 21, 31 and 41 points in the 3 games they have played, following that trend:
Laurimar by 51 points

Enjoy the footy and let’s hope for some good weather

Great game of footy
Ebbed and flowed all day
Mernda were great but just feel short
Thompson was huge for Laurimar, Arthur is a tough kid who just kept bouncing back up.
Bateman down back was cool and efficient all day
For Mernda, Morrison was huge, if Mernda had of won he would have been BOG. Got hurt with 5 mins to go and hopefully not too bad
Crouch and Smith gave Mernda good targets and Turner match up with Arthur was great.
Only criticism is that of umpires who selected BOG, Leather was just ok and there were 6-8 better players from both teams who played better, certainly not Leather’s fault though
Finally the ground and facilities at Whittlesea were terrific today.
So as the dust will settle, I had selected Laurimar to be premiers at beginning of the year and the spoils are there’s
They are well equipped to do well in division 2 in 2024
For Mernda, it a tough pill to swallow but they have had a tremendous season, I had them finishing 7th. If they can keep their core group together they will start 2024 as a premiership favourite

Great game of footy
Ebbed and flowed all day
Mernda were great but just feel short
Thompson was huge for Laurimar, Arthur is a tough kid who just kept bouncing back up.
Bateman down back was cool and efficient all day
For Mernda, Morrison was huge, if Mernda had of won he would have been BOG. Got hurt with 5 mins to go and hopefully not too bad
Crouch and Smith gave Mernda good targets and Turner match up with Arthur was great.
Only criticism is that of umpires who selected BOG, Leather was just ok and there were 6-8 better players from both teams who played better, certainly not Leather’s fault though
Finally the ground and facilities at Whittlesea were terrific today.
So as the dust will settle, I had selected Laurimar to be premiers at beginning of the year and the spoils are there’s
They are well equipped to do well in division 2 in 2024
For Mernda, it a tough pill to swallow but they have had a tremendous season, I had them finishing 7th. If they can keep their core group together they will start 2024 as a premiership favourite

Morrison bog by length of Flemington straight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I watched the 2nd half on the live stream. Is it just me, or did the female umpire get “booed” during the presentations?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

She made a terrible call to cost them the game would be my guess why.

If you think that cost them the game then you don’t know football at all, not even a little bit.
They were 16 points up with 6-7 minutes to go in the game. Shouldn’t lose from that position.
The reality is Mernda were out on their feet had blokes cramping left right and centre and coming off the ground.

Thought it was a terrific game. Credit to both teams.

But the decision to leave to leave before the ceremony was done is poor leadership anyway you want to slice it.
Don’t care what has happened during the game you stay there and cop it and show respect.
It was a terrible sight watching the mernda players and supporters leaving the ground during the ceremony.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back